Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 04:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Downsizing doesn't necessarily cut the outrageous amount we spend on it.

We have a smaller military man wise than several other nations, but we still spend up to 5x as much.
That is a side argument to the topic at hand. We can have the highest per person spending or the lowest, if the size of the armed forces doesn't increase, it isn't going to give more youth the chance. Many young people do look for the military, it just isn't the narrative people want to tell so they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 04:21 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That is a side argument to the topic at hand. We can have the highest per person spending or the lowest, if the size of the armed forces doesn't increase, it isn't going to give more youth the chance. Many young people do look for the military, it just isn't the narrative people want to tell so they don't.
The military of the future is going to see a slimming in numbers and an increase in hurdles to join. We'll see technology play a greater role. We won't see standing army vs standing army, it'll become special forces in and out.

The casualties of recent conflicts illustrate this. They're nothing compared to past conflicts. The Battle of Antietam in one day saw 23,000 Americans killed.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:14 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
The military of the future is going to see a slimming in numbers and an increase in hurdles to join. We'll see technology play a greater role. We won't see standing army vs standing army, it'll become special forces in and out.

The casualties of recent conflicts illustrate this. They're nothing compared to past conflicts. The Battle of Antietam in one day saw 23,000 Americans killed.
That was also the Civil War. To compare with other wars where it's not Americans vs. Americans, we have to half that. Still high, but not as dramatic.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:32 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
As a percentage of the population service in the military has declined. However it should also be noted that in much of the western world it has also declined. Some countries allow for non citizens to specifically join. The spanish and french foreign legions are evidence of this. The pay in those is so low one could work at walmart and make more!

The military cannot simply lower standards or expand just for the point of expansion. Major conflicts have declined significantly because well the economy is more dependent on one another and thus it would make little sense to make massive wars against one another.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:37 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
Simply joining the military is bad idea. Being hired sometimes takes time and applying for different jobs. Volunteering, getting a license like say real estate, is a better idea. Just because you don't have a job now does not mean it is permanent. People should not join the military casually. Those should do so who really like the idea and or want a career in the military. So no do not join the military because you don't have a job.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:47 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
If you are looking to join the military, inquire to join as an officer, as far as I understand in order to qualify to be an officer you have to just have 2 years of 3rd level education meaning 2 years of community college or university, and then pass the physical, which you have to do anyway for the military.

Why as an officer you now may ask? Well, consider the benefits. As soon as you finish boot-camp you are already higher rank than the guys who are training you, aka the drill instructors, so by the end of things they will be sucking up to you already.

The pay is about six times higher than if you join as a recruit, not to mention you are much much less likely to see combat and much much more likely to be able to sign up to do all the cool things you never got the chance to, like sky diving training, etc etc. Officers are well taken care of in the army, so I recommend that route if anything.

I'd agree with this. If you are attracted to a military career, enter after college, not before.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:49 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
I'd agree with this. If you are attracted to a military career, enter after college, not before.

Yes, if you're a leadership type (having said that, all ranks lead). The problem with the post you quoted is that it's filled with incorrect information.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:59 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Well, I enjoyed the hell out of my military career and miss it every day. And I've met plenty of people who did as well.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:09 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Not everyone fits into the military. Some people love it, some don't. Most people who choose not to enter the military probably already know it's not for them (or maybe they don't qualify). No sense in wasting their and the military's time.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:28 AM

345 posts, read 1,030,631 times
If I could go back in time I wish I would have considered it. I'd be so much better off now if I joined a branch of the military. Instead, I'm in my late 20's with a liberal arts degree and still no career path. The military would have given me some skills and simply made me a more independent person at a younger age. All the while getting to see the world and getting paid to do it. I feel like I would be more prepared and confident to attack the world and all it's challenges.

Parents these days should really throw out the military as an option for their kids. Mine never did and it just didn't seem like a mainstream option where I grew up. It was always going to college. That's what you were expected to do and my peers were expected to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment