Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 07:49 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzd View Post
At times, I have the impression that the OP is the reincarnation of "I'm Retired Now"... Old-timers on this board will understand.
I thought the same thing this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 08:27 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
I received an office-wide email detailing the company's intent to move to another office 30 miles away at the end of the lease term, which is at the end of this month. Currently, my commute in the morning takes approx. 40 minutes and 1 hour in the evening. If I were to commute to this new office, my commute will now take an average of 3 hours each way. I personally feel like this is too much of a commitment. Is this a reasonable cause for looking for another job?

Why they decided to move 30 miles away from our current office is beyond me.

Thank you.
Suppose if someone on this board tells you that your company is moving without consulting with you and its pretty bad on their part, are you going to stop your company from moving or are you going to quit ? Not sure what people on this forum can do to assist you?

This is a question you need to ask yourself. Are you in a position to quit and find another job or can you survive with the longer commute because you need the job badly?

Old 12-11-2014, 08:35 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzd View Post
At times, I have the impression that the OP is the reincarnation of "I'm Retired Now"... Old-timers on this board will understand.
I was thinking more like "son of".

But don't you find there are more like three posters who consistently post drama-filled out there threads? And coincidentally, they're all about the same age....

Which is better, I suppose, than being younger than they are and posting advice to people, as though they know it all, but it still makes me wonder.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:48 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
I received an office-wide email detailing the company's intent to move to another office 30 miles away at the end of the lease term, which is at the end of this month. Currently, my commute in the morning takes approx. 40 minutes and 1 hour in the evening. If I were to commute to this new office, my commute will now take an average of 3 hours each way. I personally feel like this is too much of a commitment. Is this a reasonable cause for looking for another job?

Thank you.
Why ask me about your driving? That's completely up to you! Didn't you JUST start this job? Last week it was about the trash, earlier this week it was about your manager, and today the office is moving.....are you writing a tv series?

Old 12-11-2014, 09:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
....are you writing a tv series?
If he is then it's a situation which begs the classic quip, "Don't give up your day job" ...

Old 12-11-2014, 09:29 AM

17,181 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
33.8 miles from me takes about 37 minutes depending on which way I go and how much traffic there is.
How can 30 miles take an additional 3 hours?

Do you really want to tell your next possible employer that you left a job after 3 months because they moved 30 miles?
I live in Orlando. My 15 mile commute to work takes me an hour.
I can see 30 extra miles taking an extra hour, right here in Orlando. Imagine a bigger city.
Heck, I used to live just South of Montreal across the St-Lawrence. My sister worked somewhere downtown. She had to give herself 3 hours to get to work due to gridlock on the Champlain Bridge, gridlock on the Ville-Marie Expy, and then more gridlock downtown trying to find parking.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:19 AM

772 posts, read 913,920 times
Quote:

Thank you.
Well, in order to answer, I need to know how much you make, how long you have been there, your skill set, and how likely your company is to downsize or layoff in the next 6 years .

Old 12-11-2014, 10:25 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
OP, you have more drama in your job in 3 months than I've had in the past decade. lol

Old 12-11-2014, 10:52 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Ask if you can work from home or at least not come into the office/plant/physical location every day.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:57 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
OP, you have more drama in your job in 3 months than I've had in the past decade. lol
That's probably because you wouldn't concern yourself with what time your supervisor arrives, wouldn't make an issue out of taking out trash, and wouldn't feel the need to figure out why your manager suddenly resigned.

Being defensive + watching what others are doing when we should be working = drama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment