Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2014, 05:51 AM

139 posts, read 250,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
You are absolutely right. But as I said, you already have a lot of skills and the biggies that allow you to do things like figure out coding on the net are logical thinking, and understanding the basics of how computers think. The average retail type worker can google coding and not even be able to sort the junk from the treasure.
So why wouldn't that "average retail worker" go on a coding forum and ask where the treasure is? If that "average retail worker" were a little more ambitious, they might just find themselves above the average retail worker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Thinking about most of my co-workers doing this is just beyond the pale. They are not dumb by any means. But this is the equivalent of you buying some oil paints and going home to paint the Mona Lisa when you have never before held a paintbrush.
No, asking you to create Facebook from scratch having never used a computer would be like asking you to paint the Mona Lisa having never held a paint brush. How about reading a tutorial, pickup a programming book, auditing a college course, watching a youtube video? Anything! Most of these people that act like they never had a chance actually just never even tried.

The simplest program can be just a single line of code. You're telling me that someone, in all there years or decades of effort including the vast, instantly available resources of the internet can not figure out how to compile a single line of code without someone holding their hand?

Am I supposed to feel sorry for this person who apparently has less motivation than a house cat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 07:11 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Coders and web developers are a dime a dozen today. There is plenty of foreign competition who will do projects for less than what you would make working for Walmart.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:24 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Equal opportunities do not provide equal outcomes.

Darwin awards exist even if it isn't a death. How many people cannot read, drop out of high school, cannot type etc. I can agree with helping people out but if they don't show up how is it supposed to work then?

Sometimes you really just have to drill down and learn something new. If it means turning off the damn tv then so be it. As I said there are resources out there but at the same time there are some that just waste time. News repeats the same thing every half hour. TV is always going to be there but it should not be a priority.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:08 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
You guys can advocate growing skills all you want, but even if every unemployed person got ten doctorate degrees we'd still have tens of millions of "lazy" unemployed PhD's.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
You guys can advocate growing skills all you want, but even if every unemployed person got ten doctorate degrees we'd still have tens of millions of "lazy" unemployed PhD's.
So what exactly is your point?

Why don't you try phrasing it in the form of "You shouldn't try to improve your skill set because.... ".

Old 12-14-2014, 02:02 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
So what exactly is your point?

Why don't you try phrasing it in the form of "You shouldn't try to improve your skill set because.... ".
How about in the form of, "you shouldn't criticize young people who can't find a job, because you don't know what you're talking about". You're making an implicit assumption that the unemployed have done something wrong, when the number of unemployed people is determined largely independently of individual behavior.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
How about in the form of, "you shouldn't criticize young people who can't find a job, because you don't know what you're talking about". You're making an implicit assumption that the unemployed have done something wrong, when the number of unemployed people is determined largely independently of individual behavior.
Ok, let me try to break this down to an even simpler level for you.

Every person out there has the option to either 1) add to their skill set or 2) not add to their skill set.

Now, if you were to take a guess, which one of those two options do you believe stands the greater chance of improving one's employment outlook?

Old 12-14-2014, 02:22 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
(1) If I tell you I might get a boot in the butt for spamming. I've been banned in the past for it before.

(2) Ever heard of privacy? Developers like myself like to keep a level of animosity.
Don't you mean 'anonymity'? 'Animosity' means hostility...

Old 12-14-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzd View Post
I think you meant "anonymity"; animosity = hostility
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I hope you mean "anonymity".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Don't you mean 'anonymity'? 'Animosity' means hostility...
Hey rosie. Don't you mean anonymity? Just thought I would let you know incase nobody else has.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:36 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
Ok, let me try to break this down to an even simpler level for you.

Every person out there has the option to either 1) add to their skill set or 2) not add to their skill set.

Now, if you were to take a guess, which one of those two options do you believe stands the greater chance of improving one's employment outlook?
The issue is jobs are much more limited now. Before we may have one to two unemployed per job, now it is say five to one. The juice isn't exactly worth the squeeze to get more training, especially paying for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment