Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:11 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,002,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
They are grossly overpaid and overrated. I can't stand to watch game shows when they feature celebrities playing for charity. Everyone gets soooo excited when the celebrity wins $50,000 for their favorite charity. I say let the celebrity get out their big fat wallet and give $50,000 of their own dollars to charity and let the average-hardworking-joe win the game show money.
Good point! And because the actors got to be so expensive, we have to watch cheap and stupid reality shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 01:13 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,002,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Most teenagers work pretty hard for their money.
That's true. I probably wouldn't make it for too long on one of those jobs... I mean, I'll get kicked out. Sometimes it makes me mad getting wrong orders and you name it, but poor kids really work like robots.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:46 AM

250 posts, read 935,752 times
I would have thought it was that job off the Annheuser-Busch commercial. You know... the one who taste tests the beer flown in from all their breweries all over the country to make sure they all taste the same.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,877 times
Angry good thing you changed your top 10 cushiest job list

I am appalled that you thought my job is cushy. I read the letter my coworker wrote to you which you deleted. She said it all. You need a better research team or someday you will lose your job for not knowing anything. Flight Attendants work harder mentally and physically as she described with almost no time to take a break. The airlines don't give us meals to eat even on a 7 hour flight. Do you work all day without eating? Doubt it. Sometimes we are on our feet running from gate to gate between multi leg days without a break and up to 18 hours with if we are lucky an 8-9 hour layover. Which amounts to about 6 hours of sleep before we get up and do it all again. Shame on you. Thats not even including the 30-40% pay decrease we took to "save the airline from going bankrupt". We have to fly an extra 20-40 hours IN THE AIR to make up for that pay decrease.

So, next time check your facts before you print them. I am sure we work a heck of a lot harder than you do

Old 04-09-2008, 05:59 AM

6,563 posts, read 11,216,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
The absolute cushiest jobs are actors, namely the celebrity crowd. .....
Its easy to say that looking at the most successful ones. While I'm sure there are some that were "discovered" and lucked into a career, most of them busted their butts to get where they are now. And for every one that made it to the point where they are a household name, there are probably 20-50 that will never make enough to support themselves adequately. Not saying we need to feel sorry for them, its their chosen profession, but acting can be stressful. I don't think its fair to lump an entire industry/profession on the lifestyles experienced by the most successful.

Also, what these game shows and B&D did was called marketing. Games shows invites the celebrity contestants on to increase viewership and B&D gets publicity for doing what they did.

As for that survey - I call BS. What they don't seem to include is the "off hours" work some of these professions require. Not to mention that some of these jobs may have less hours than the standard 40/week... but they also pay squat. I equate this to the notion that teaching is easy because you get summers off..... riight.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:39 AM

45 posts, read 186,837 times
"And for every one that made it to the point where they are a household name, there are probably 20-50 that will never make enough to support themselves adequately."

I'd say it's probably more like 200,000-500,000! You could easily reach that high number simply by counting every waiter and temp in LA.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:45 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,030,318 times
I think some of those 'cushy' jobs are high stress...bus driver? Whoa..I'd NEVER want to do that. My hats off to people who do...I would be nuts driving for a job all day.

Notice several are in the legal profession
More cluttering up the courts..

A nice cushy job I would like is to be a socialite....

Old 04-27-2008, 10:02 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,925,162 times
Let's see I'm going to school to become the #4 and I currently have the #1 job! NICE. I can personally attest that they are quite cushy. Its a great thing doing what you love without having some pr*ck of a boss micromanaging you. (Not that all bosses are pr*cks, but you know)...

Anyway, going back to an earlier comment, I would hardly think a celebrity or a socialite has a cushy job. Consider the emotional stress of it all-- always being in front of the camera, lack of privacy, only being viewed as an object (and not a 'real' person). Not to mention having your share of stalkers and papparazzi tracking your every move. I'll pass on that but they sure make it seem fabulous. That is until they end up in rehab...

Old 04-27-2008, 01:33 PM

116 posts, read 447,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I think some of those 'cushy' jobs are high stress...bus driver? Whoa..I'd NEVER want to do that. My hats off to people who do...I would be nuts driving for a job all day.

I used to drive city bus...at times it was cushy, but it you were late people would threaten you or throw stuff at you. Also, women with a bunch of kids would get on and their kids would crawl all over and they get mad when you tell them to please watch their children.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:50 PM

4 posts, read 14,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Thank you, Jammie! You made my Fri afternoon! Who woulda thunk I had a cushy job...?! Half of the jobs have no business under this title.

I'll tell you which is the cushiest job in the world - meteorologist! No responsibility, no consequences! You're wrong half of the time and you get paid all the same! Only that it takes education... not sure how pricey...
funny.... that job description sounds a lot like the president of the United states
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment