Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 10:44 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

I've noticed when living back home in TN that a lot of people have very poor work ethic. A lot of people don't work and have no intention of doing so. If you have a contractor or someone coming out to do something, they often show up late without good reason, or not at all. Everything runs slower, and not in a good way - a lot of things are delayed and drag on for no particular reason.

Here in the Midwest, people seem to work harder and are far more reliable. Someone's word is usually kept, and if there are problems, you know about them.

Do you think there is a big difference in work ethic between different regions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 10:58 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Don't believe it's a lack of work ethics - but pace certainly do differ from region to region. I've noticed the NE part of the US (and that include the mid-atlantic) tend to be more fast paced (hence being labeled as uptight or rude) than other areas.

I've worked with people from the south and even the west coast, and it seems that they do move at a slower pace. However, I don't think they work less hard per se. It's not like they cut corners or skip steps. They're just a bit more laid-back in how they conduct business.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:01 AM

17,198 posts, read 15,390,629 times
I live in Central FL... Depends on the area I guess... Orlando and nearby towns are pretty much all hustle-and-bustle... Big city mentality in a medium-sized city.
Surrounding areas are much more laid back, and sort of red-necky (no offense to anyone.) People tend to milk the government a lot.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:12 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times
This definately exists no secret there. My parents moved south recently and though they are in the south its a bigger city with corporations and large businesses but yet things still move at a slower pace. Nothing is super rushed like CHicago or NY. Everything from big business to how fast dunkin donuts or mcdonalds is served.

There definately are lazy peopel but I don't necessarily think its a poor work ethic as just a different pace of life and importance placed on diff things.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,581 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Cost of living differs. Areas like yours in TN allow people to get by with minimum wage jobs and move from job to job if they get bored or fired. Here in Seattle, or in San Francisco (most of the west coast) where the cost of a 1 bedroom apartment is above $1,400 and there are over 100 applicants for every good job, people have to keep their nose clean or end up sleeping under an overpass. Still, there are many people already homeless and others working that are barely tolerated and close to being fired here. I don't think there are any legitimate grounds for generalization about work ethic.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:59 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Don't believe it's a lack of work ethics - but pace certainly do differ from region to region. I've noticed the NE part of the US (and that include the mid-atlantic) tend to be more fast paced (hence being labeled as uptight or rude) than other areas.

I've worked with people from the south and even the west coast, and it seems that they do move at a slower pace. However, I don't think they work less hard per se. It's not like they cut corners or skip steps. They're just a bit more laid-back in how they conduct business.
If anything the high pressure East coast way of getting it done cuts corners more than the slower paced way of life.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:52 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
Yes...
I have never found people that worked harder than in Silicon Valley or on Wall Street.
Working in Minnesota was like being retired in comparison. Working in Atlanta was like being retired and also disabled.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:58 PM

163 posts, read 247,379 times
The joke around here for someone with poor work ethic is "so and so must be from Hawaii".

We don't even have a huge Hawaiian population here but those who are from Hawaii seem to be more 'laid back' than most people. I'd call it lazy rather than laid back if it wasn't for HR. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:03 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Not really, some people just work different period. Some work specifics differ (industry, time, etc), but not ethics. Some people are more relaxed, whilst some are more punctual.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:27 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Depends really. Here's some more on this topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3oIiH7BLmg
To note the video could be construed as insulting to some but it does make a point.

Amazon.com: A Geography Of Time: The Temporal Misadventures of a Social Psychologist (9780465026425): Robert V. Levine: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment