Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 09:08 PM

4 posts, read 11,750 times

Advertisements

I would start looking for a job right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 12:48 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,692,478 times
Hi everyone, thank you for your support and constructive criticism throughout this thread.
I would first like to mention that I wasn't a full-time employee. Rather, I was a temp. The higher-ups implemented a hiring freeze so nobody can hire anyone fulltime, even to this day. I chose this company because the pay and location was better, although many posters on here such as Mpowering told me to join another company that gave me a full-time offer, I still chose this company, which has finally came back to bite me in the butt. At the time, the SVP told me he would eventually bring me on-board full-time once the freeze was lifted, and that I would get trained in the initial months. Thus, I've technically been a temp this whole time. Come to think of it, I'm thinking it was better than being a full-time employee, at least prospective employers won't shake their heads seeing that I left in 3 months right?

Back to the meeting:

When I followed the two individuals into the conference room, the Senior Vice President (SVP) started off his intro sentence with the typical "I'm not a good fit" cliche sentence. The supervisor, the one I complained about always being late was in the room, and apparently she complained that I asked the same question more than once. Now, this is an auditing position, I think a reasonable person would understand that a few clarifications would be acceptable. But apparently, she even had a list of instances where I asked her the same question twice written down on her notebook.

The SVP then went on to complain about how I submitted two identical submissions with similar errors. They were for 2 different companies so it wasn't very simple. But apparently, I was supposed to catch on to it quickly... I didn't realize asking the same question once or twice, or making a mistake would be on the grounds for immediate termination without warning. I was brought on-board as a trainee with no experience, I've read that it typically takes around 6 months to be comfortable at your job. Were they seriously expecting me to be a pro in 2-3 months time? Even today, I felt that I was still in the process of learning and that it would take me a little longer to be on the same level of the "experienced employees". But I supposedly didn't meet their expectations.

I apparently started off really strong but I went downhill in the latter months. Also, the SVP explained that I lacked passion for the job, career and industry. How they came to this conclusion, I have no idea. But I, by no means ever lacked the passion for auditing. To add salts to the wound, he even asked if I wanted to stay until Friday, I declined.

All in all, I really could have appreciated a warning or two before they decided to kick someone out after a mere 3 months. A few days ago, one of my other managers was telling me that I was doing a great job for someone new to the world of auditing, and that I have a natural talent with numbers. Then out of nowhere, starting on Thursday, I get a sense of hostility from the folks at the top, including my supervisor. I do feel like the supervisor put words into my mouth, complaining that I lack passion and that I ask too many questions. I've always felt she was never inclined in being my "mentor", even on the 1st day, she was on linkedin, and neglected training me. The SVP even asked if I wanted to stay until Friday...why the hell would I stay until Friday when you clowns want me out of your sight so much? A week ago, the SVP was looking into the future and was showing me a site plan of where I'd have my cubicle when we moved to the new office, let alone other things to indicate that he had no intention of letting me go. But then his demeanor towards me changed out of nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
At least you don't have to deal with those people anymore. Next step should be to file for unemployment.

A lot of people don't realize that being fired for cause does not bar you from qualifying for unemployment. If you weren't engaging in gross misconduct (stealing, throwing your work laptop across the room, punching a coworker, etc.), you will get it.

Good luck looking for a new job.
Thank you. They revealed their true selves today, a bunch of shallow, apathetic a-holes who only care about themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irco View Post
That's right like the above poster said file for unemployment ASAP. Sorry about you getting fired, I'm glad you learned it early Kid.
Thank you. I'm glad that they decided to boot me out in 3 months and not at 6 or 9. At least I can start looking for an employer that really wants me to stay with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Boosane, sorry to hear the end result.

You'll want to post on the Unemployment forum here on c-d because no, you don't almost always get it. And I don't even think you've been with them long enough to collect. When you post, tell them the state you're in. The link to the forum is here.
Thank you. I'll look into unemployment benefits. Didn't think I'd be looking into it so soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicLove View Post
Sorry to hear that Boosane. Many people have a difficult time in their first job or figuring out what they want to do career-wise. Hang in there. Something better will come along
Thank you. It's only been 3 months since I had my last interview. Hopefully my interview skills aren't rusty. At least I'll have a more easier time answering "tell me about a time" questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Sorry that happened, do as others are telling you and file for unemployment asap. While I know you probably do not want to hear it you should also spend a couple of days reflecting on your time there, and please learn from your mistakes, while I believe you are misguided I also think that many of us were in our young days and learning from those mistakes makes you both a better employee and a wiser person long term. Good luck in your job search.
All I did was try to learn as much as possible to be a useful employee. I've always kept my mouth shut and minded my own business. I guess one lesson that I've learned is that I should refrain from asking questions all that often and try to figure everything out on my own. I do think the supervisor who complained that I asked too many questions just got pissed off and wanted someone who wouldn't ask as many questions. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
I have been following this thread, but this is my first post. Sorry you got fired, and I wish you the best in getting re-employed quickly. I would take a day to feel sorry for yourself, then the following day I would do an assessment of what you did wrong in this job situation. What your coworkers and employer did wrong is irrelevant, as you can't change anything about that, but you can change how you operate in your next job, so concentrate on identifying your mistakes, and how you should have handled the situations vs. how you handled the situations.

Some things that pop out to me:

1) Listen to your friends for support, find an experienced mentor for career advice. Your friends are as new at the career thing as you are, and may have even less experience. My wife has not worked since her teen years, and then it was fast food. I cringe every time I hear her offering career advice to my adult children (2 Engineers & 1 Military). Not only is it usually wrong, it is often down right career ending - "stand up for yourself" is almost NEVER a good idea when your boss is involved and you are a relatively new employee. FTR my wife is an excellent and wonderful woman, she just doesn't know what she's talking about when it comes to building a career - don't listen to her either! ;/)

2) No job is beneath you unless you want no job. I was emptying trash as a senior military officer with 20+ years of experience and three commands under my belt, because it had to be done, and I was the JMO (same as FNG!). I was also in charge of redesigning an 82,000 man police force, and developing the national change strategy and management process with national leaders and senior coalition partners, and travelling internationally, and dealing with the State Dept. when I was taking out the trash. It wasn't beneath me, it was part of the job.

3) An extra duty is ALWAYS an extra opportunity. You get promotions and pay raises based on your ability to perform at that next level. Normally, you have to perform at that level BEFORE the compensation and promotions come, not after. Companies (and Militaries) try to only bet on sure things! I have always told my kids to do a little extra at work. No reason to be Charles Atlas, but a little extra gets you noticed in a good way. These are OPORTUNITIES, not disrespect.

4) Getting along with coworkers and fitting in with corporate culture is often as important as job performance - sometimes more important. If you are a computer programming savant with a history of innovation in programming that makes millions annually for your company, you can poop in your cubicle and bathe monthly and nobody is going to say a thing. However, if you are like most of us, your contribution to the company can always be replaced by somebody else. There is a saying, that "On average, you'll get an average replacement" so, if you are below average in performence OR cooperativeness, the likely hood is high that your replacement will be a step up in performance - you effectively incentivize your firing. If your performance is above average (see comment 3) you create a disincentive to your firing. Just some food for thought there.

5) The boss has a different perspective and is often solving a different problem than the one you are concerned with. Give the boss the benefit of the doubt, if you help him/her solve their problem, your problem will invariably go away (either through promotion, better insight, or better support). Don't be a problem to your boss because he didn't solve YOUR problem - that is always a bad thing. Also, it's never a bad thing to know what the bosses boss wants, and help your boss to achieve that. Good things will happen if you do that, I promise! This is sort of a variation on fitting in, but it's not really the same.

6) There are J@ck@sses in the work world. Don't let them define you, and stay out of their way as much as possible. There is no perfect work environment, so the less time you waste with these idiots, the more time you have to perform above average at work (see what I did there?), but understand, you absolutely will have to spend some time interacting with these idiots even in the best of corporations. Again, it's not beneath you, it's part of adult working life. Oh, and if you have a conflict with one of these J@ck@sses, don't tell the boss, tell the J@ck@ss. My experience has been these are generally "bully" personalities, and they back down quickly when confronted in a professional but direct manner. i.e. don't be a J@ck@ss back, but confront the behavior professionally and don't accept poor treatment from a coworker.

This post has gotten out of hand, and I apologize for the length. Best of luck finding a new job, and with some introspection, perhaps it will become your career.
Thank you for taking the time to give me such good advice. I'll definitely keep it all in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Sorry you got fired...

Here is some future advice

1) Don't worry about the crap that other people are doing and stop trying to be the fair police worrying about boss, co workers, etc
2) Your #1 job is to make your boss look good to his boss
3) Bite your tongue as the new guy, fit in, be a sponge and learn all you can
4) Don't be annoying, but find a mentor as others have said who can show you the ropes
5) To be a good auditor can take months even 1-2 years for some people... there are just so many processes and areas to learn
6) Never share too much information personally and never wear your emotions on your sleeve. If you are unhappy with work, HIDE IT.

Update date us when you get home? Why did they fire you?
Thank you. I always look the other way when I sense drama, but I do come and post it on C-D because why not? But thank you for the list, they are all things that I need to work on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Talk to those alone who are giving you this treatment and tell them you noticed their attitude towards you has changed and you'd like to know why.

At least you don't be walking around in fear all the time, and if they actually tell you, then you will have something to deal with.
If I knew I was going to get fired, I think I should've just asked right then and there. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Sorry this didn't work out for you. You mentioned you were only there three months. I don't know the company and the circumstances, but you might want to consider leaving it off your resume entirely.

I don't know if you have worked long enough to qualify for unemployment, but apply for it anyway. Worse case you won't get it.

Not every job works out for everyone. Don't let this be a defining moment for you. Many employers assign a mentor to new employees and this can be very helpful. Basically a mentor helps you from making mistakes regarding the company's unwritten corporate culture rule book. Even if you are not assigned a mentor on the new job, ask someone on the team other than you supervisor if they could act as a mentor for you.

Onward and upward!
Thank you. Yep, 3 months. I graduated from college back in May so I'm not really sure if that's a good idea. However, I was a temp and not full time, so I think employers would be more keen in understanding the 3 month tenure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mislisa View Post
Many places of work ARE high school today. Many have the mental age of about 17 and never grow up.

Truth.
Thank you. Agreed.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:54 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Meanwhile, you haven't learned a damn thing, except to blame your employer.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:30 AM

279 posts, read 544,468 times
You should have mentioned you were a temp! As a temp you keep your mouth shut and do everything that they ask with a smile. If they don't like you, they call the agency and get a new person - it is not tough for them at all.

BTW - I have been a temp for 8 years. The company wants to hire me but the head count will not allow them. My boss has been working on this for over two years. Trust me. I have seen temps come and go...

Old 12-17-2014, 07:54 AM

406 posts, read 559,339 times
Yikes. Well, it was probably for the best... You always had some drama situation to talk about with this company -- manager issues, forcing you to take out everyone's trash, company moving 30 miles away.

Ideally, you would have had the jump on them and already had another job lined up; however, it really probably is a good thing that you're parting ways with this company. Just reading about that environment gives me a headache.

Be optimistic and find an even better job.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:29 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Based on the OPs other threads, I didn't see anything wrong with the company......

If the manager asks you to take out the trash, DO IT! The little things get remembered.

Staying out of office gossip, doing what you're asked, and minding your own business will get you a lot further than complaining, saying that's not my job, or worrying about what other people are doing.

As unfortunate as this is, I hope it has taught you a lesson in humility. We all go through it at one point or another so you're not a unique case. Just keep in mind going forward that you will see this again in new jobs.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:44 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
Default What's weird is the employer doesn't seem to know either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower--girl View Post
You should have mentioned you were a temp! As a temp you keep your mouth shut and do everything that they ask with a smile. If they don't like you, they call the agency and get a new person - it is not tough for them at all.

BTW - I have been a temp for 8 years. The company wants to hire me but the head count will not allow them. My boss has been working on this for over two years. Trust me. I have seen temps come and go...
I'm talking the OP's information as real in her world, and what was done was bring your family rules to work.
Having said that, she indicates she's learned a few things, and on this thread too! So good fortune.
But the employer doesn't seem to know what a temp employee is; you also, as a temp, can be "not available" for the employer; most are surprised by that. Temp has been around for 25 years now. Learn.

The employer and particularly the manager, who started keeping a notebook on trivial issues is shoddy.
You don't need to do that with a temp. You call their office, indicate you'd like a replacement and you don't even give a reason. You don't have to.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:49 AM

384 posts, read 507,824 times
Sorry that you got let go, but focus on LEARNING from this experience.

And as you mentioned, maybe in the future you need to ask fewer questions (or perhaps better ones, that's usually the real culprit) and spend more time figuring things out on your own.

That said, going in to a new environment is ALWAYS tough. It won't be easy the next time either. Just try to focus on yourself and eventually things will fall in to place.

Also in many company environments you'll find people will barely speak to you in the first three months. It's NOT personal. They've just seen too many people come and go to make that investment in getting to know you. I've had it happen to me. Took several YEARS to get in to the "cool kids" club - and then several more to get back out of it

Also, I am in a situation where the new people come to me with questions all the time. Multiple people, multiple times a day. And yes, it is VERY irritating if someone is asking the same questions all the time and isn't progressing in their understanding of the job/task. Not knowing something is one thing - and it's ok. Not taking the answer you were given and making the next step - that'll wear out your welcome very quickly.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:52 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Boosane- as others have mentioned you need to look inward and not blame the company. I totally understand it is hard to see from a neutral perspective. From your post you made excuse after excuse.

"I didn't know I shouldn't ask the same question twice"
"I made the same error with two different clients, it isn't that simple"
"I should apparently catch on quicker"

These are all signs that you are not a good fit for the company. It doesn't necessarily mean that you are a bad worker, just that this was not the right job for you. Think about what they told you, learn and grow from it.

Best of luck to you in your job search!

Old 12-17-2014, 09:17 AM

406 posts, read 559,339 times
That's ridiculous... Ask the question as many times as it takes you to get it. That's what prevents mistakes.

Taking out the trash? I'm assuming this is a professional position. Once, sure. But designating a person the office trashman? You guys don't see anything wrong with this? Why is the company too cheap to pay for proper janitorial services?

I'm sure it isn't completely one sided, but I see this as a management failure. If Boosane was not learning quickly enough or not getting concepts for the first time, why wasn't this addressed with him by his manager? Why didn't they spend the time to figure out why concepts are not being learned quickly enough?

Blindsiding someone with a list of instances where they failed without first speaking with the employee is pure failure on the part of the employer. In fact, it sounds like they were purposely documenting every event (without correction) to get rid of him.

At my company, we have annual reviews as well as semi-annual progress meetings. These meetings are unofficial and their purpose is to make sure you're on track toward your annual review goals. This is to prevent blindsiding an employee and to ensure they know exactly what is expected of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment