Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 10:34 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Custodian and bus driver at a school district. It seems like they are hiring every year, especially substitutes.
Most school districts farm out custodian and bus drivers to companies that pay lower wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 11:45 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Most school districts farm out custodian and bus drivers to companies that pay lower wages.
In my county, the school districts usually hire bus drivers directly and provide training. They are ALWAYS hiring, but the jobs are usually only 20-25 hours per week.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:09 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Experience as in prior knowledge, or as in having worked at that job before?

If it's the former, one of them is computer/digital hacking. At panel for a Linux conference, they mentioned that that's one industry they wouldn't hiring more for, and people get promoted relatively quickly (compared to IT and related jobs). You can't just show up to the interview in a suit, saying in an enthusiastic way that you have a passion for hacking. You don't need to be an expert, but you need to be able to show you have some technical knowledge of it (so for example, you've tried doing it on your own, and had some successes, and failures to learn from). With the latter type of person, that's the type of person they're willing to take on to train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
And probably fun, minus potential STDs and all...
In some circles, they check for that. IIRC, in Nevada (where prostitution's legal), women at brothels are required to get checked for STDs on some periodic basis (weekly, or monthly?)

Old 05-25-2018, 06:25 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Well for starters it would not be any kind of white collar work. It would mostly be construction, truck driving, working at Walmart and becoming a manager, etc.
Administrative Assistant. That's why it's considered a low-level job. You can have a useless degree and still be able to get an admin job because it's general office work. It's not specialized like marketing, accounting, engineering, nursing, etc. You just need soft skills like being detail oriented, organized, good with computers.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:53 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Sales. Companies hire salespeople and fire them if they don't perform properly. Many wash out with tiny commission checks, so they figure flipping burgers pays more.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:00 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I would go farther east. Plenty of opp around LA, TX coastal areas and up through TX and OK.

Oil Refineries, Railroads, Nat Gas Plants all hire people with zero experience and provide on the job training and many are capable of being >100K within a year or two.

Valero, BNSF, Union Pacific, Cheasapeake, BP, Exxon, Nustar, Tesoro, and many others.

Halliburton hires frequently in the North TX, OK area but they have their fingers in so many jars its no telling where you may wind up.

The railroads are a particularly good avenue if you are willing to relocate occasionally in western states.
With zero experience for what type of job and what about for people who are not millennials. The mainstream media thinks that the only people capable, deserving of training are millennials or recent immigrants in areas like the NYC metro area and greater Boston area

Old 05-26-2018, 12:27 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefirefall View Post
Anyone know of some decent careers that offer training before you start and don't really require any experience?

I know working in insurance claims and pest control is like that. Any others?
Plastic Mold injection Mold techs make $25 or so an hour, tool room workers $28-$30 an hour. The you can move to either "Process engineer" or "Industrial Engineer"

Do you feel bad for people that never managed to get a decent job/career?

I posted this as one issue with my company is they "Prefer" to train within the company and not bring in outside workers for the mold tech position.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:31 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
In my county, the school districts usually hire bus drivers directly and provide training. They are ALWAYS hiring, but the jobs are usually only 20-25 hours per week.
Where I live, they pay about $17 an hour FOR TRAINEES! $425 a week gross weekly. Not great, but you can get side drives which pay same rate and after 4-5 years you can bid up on other jobs. I'd go for it, but I don't care for kids...

Old 05-26-2018, 02:03 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
Being an entitled millennial doesn't require a lot of experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment