Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 10:25 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,480 times

Advertisements

Travel writer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 12:28 PM

857 posts, read 4,878,853 times
I guess I actually could quit my job tomorrow, but I like what I'm doing and I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I had more free time.
I like buying houses and renovating them, so I guess that is what I will do more of when I stop working full time. I also have a talent for decorating on a tight budget, so I would like to volunteer to help people just starting out(like military people moving off base) to make their places look nice without breaking their budget.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:35 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,049 times
I'd be a programmer doing it from home in my jammies and making oodles of cashola$...

Old 01-20-2008, 07:36 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I would love to have my own firm working as a business consultant and personal advisor. In edition I would like to write a monthly newsletter, preferably web based, that clients will pay a yearly fee in exchange for a monthly subscription. This publication would have articles on building a better business, physical and information based security, investing in the future, advice on success within the business and personal life. A how to section on getting balance in your everyday life, for example how to balance work and home. On top of that I would love to write novels and movie scrips.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:08 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
I changed my mind...I would like to be a minister.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:22 AM

242 posts, read 613,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
I'd be a programmer doing it from home in my jammies and making oodles of cashola$...
LOL. If you do that, I want to come over and learn from you.

I studied javascript for a bit which isn't really programming but it is a language, and I can tell you that if you work from your home programming, there's a good chance you may never leave your computer. Time just seeps away, and (for me) it always took me 3 times longer to figure something out than I thought it would.

I amend my previous post. I narrowed it down. I want to do something (anything) with graphics, or maybe video editing. (Painting is messy and interior decorating means I'd have to travel.)

Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 AM

625 posts, read 3,635,640 times
I would love to be a successful Fashion Editor at a top selling fashion rag and my first issue would feature an average sized model who doesn't look overly made up and gaunt but she also won't look plain and dowdy. I'd then quit that after I realize they are too far gone to realize what the average woman looks like so I'd go off and become a Fashion Designer and create my own line.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:53 AM

215 posts, read 1,660,387 times
I'd take a combo.

At night I'd be a bed tester. Sleep, and report on how well I slept (and get paid for it). Then I'd be a secret shopper, go and buy things and report my experince (and get paid). Next, I'd be a food tester. I'd also test drive cars, and test out vacation spots... Well you get the idea

but if I had to seriously pick, I'd have to say my dream job would have to be something that does not exist. I would love to work in transportation. I picture that I'm in a huge command centre, the type you see in the war movies. On the wall is a huge map of the city, and each road is coloured in based on how much traffic is there. In the middle of the room is a table map showing the location of every transit bus in the city, and by pushing on that touch-screen table I can see information about the bus. My job would be to make sure all buses are on time, all the time, everywhere. Oh man that would be so much fun!
Failing that, I'd love to be either the Prime Minister, or his chief advisor. I'd love to make the tough decisions, and get right into the thick of politics. I want to be the guy that they call and say "Nick, how do we win this election" and I tell them, and they win. I want to be the guy who has to weigh all the information and make the hard decisions when they need to be made. I would enjoy that very much. I've already run for office in fact.
Failing that, I'd love to be a History Professor. I could lecture my students on european history, and then go and study it more myself. I'd write theories about the various events, but also, focus in on alternate history, and what might have happened. I'd love to work with people who know as much as I do about history.

Currently, however, the job I'm working towards is an Urban Planner. It's a nice combo of all three

Old 01-23-2008, 08:19 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Archaeologist. It is what I have always wanted to do.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:42 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,287 times
I've been in IT for over 25 years and have had a very successful career, both job satisfaction and compensation. My dream in a second career would be an over the road truck driver. I been fascinated with that occupation for over 30 years, even while working on a master's degree. So much so that I bought my own brand new tractor and trailer 2.5 years ago. If I got kicked out of work tomorrow, I have a new career waiting. For now, I want to get the equipment paid off before I would consider anything.

And for now, I just joy ride the truck on the weekends and continue to dream. Whether it works out or not I can't say for sure, but I have a smile ear to ear whenever I'm driving my big rig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment