Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 07:56 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times

Advertisements

OP does have a history of just not being able to tolerate various jobs.

That combined with his separation from and apparent inability to reconnect to family leads me to guess that he has some personality issues that really, seriously need to be addressed.

If he didn't, he'd be a LOT less worried about the annoying aspects of a climate-controlled office job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 08:06 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,422,661 times
Jeez, and I was worried about you!

If I were you - and I'm not - I would bite the bullet and count the cash you are piling up as a victory towards independence. Good on you that instead of moping around at night, you are getting a part time job.

What you describe is truly a first world problem, and an improvement over what you were experiencing before. Less than two months ago you were in the depths of despair.

Are you under 25? Relief is on the horizon. Numerous studies from reputable research institutions conclude that males don't mature their prefrontal cortexes until they're 25. It's a really narrow window - like 25 +/- four months. There's something about the male genome that makes their brains lag in judgment, planning, and awareness of consequences - until they hit 25. Then it all emerges. One big indicator is that the drama level gets dialed way down, all on its own, just because of brain maturation. I'd urge you to hurry that along by eating right, particularly whatever kind of oils the researchers in this area say are good for the brain. Fish oils, and a certain subclass of the vitamin Es??

When you hit that point, you will view your journey in a much different light. Relief is on the way! Just stay healthy and busy producing income, and exercised.

Caveat - don't do anything with long term negative consequences while you're still trapped under the control of a teen-age brain.

Best wishes, Jane

Old 12-17-2014, 08:49 PM

698 posts, read 797,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
Nevada sure is different. Here in Arizona, Integrity Staffing is hiring Amazon warehouse workers at $11 an hour or $11.75 an hour if you do graveyard shift (which is what my husband is currently doing). Amazon made a big mistake over the past 2 years by laying off a lot of their employees during the middle of the busy season because they thought they wouldn't be that busy.

As a result, they changed their rules. Now they offer medical care on site, pain meds, free coffee, free donuts, etc. to help tide their employees and the staffing agency's employees. In addition, it's become much easier to work for Amazon. In the past, when I used to work, after the initial 5 weeks you're told to apply to Amazon and pray they'll look at your resume and hire you.

Now, Amazon is slated to hire 1,000 people here in AZ from the agency. Their only requirement is no write ups, no points past 3 on your attendance record, and that you met the rates consistently. So it's easier to be hired by Amazon this time around, and you get $16 an hour instead of $11.75, you also get 10% discount, benefits by Amazon, and since it's no longer peak season, you'd also work less (rate-wise atleast).

I would stay at Amazon for 6 months or so, word on the street is that Amazon pays less. You can apparently make $22 an hour doing the exact same thing at Amazon at a different Warehouse distributor.
I wrote that with a 103 degree temperature, thanks for your patience to somewhat sort it out

And..thanks for that wealth of information. I considered Amazon jobs as Seasonal since they seem so labor intensive that to do it beyond Seasonally (4-6 weeks) seems too much. But who knows, maybe a person in great shape can do it daily for 6 months, you would know more from experience

I am glad some aspects of working for Amazon is easier, and the pay has increased. Seems to me there was some big hubbub about Integrity Staffing not following the law. And I noticed at some time ,maybe a year ago, the pay via Amazon was $1 more than Integrity (but not in Nevada, I can't recall where)

Your advice to the OP seems very wise. Stay 6 months or so, then have a nice nest egg then try to look elsewhere.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:35 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
You don't get a job unless absolutely necessary for awhile

Old 12-17-2014, 09:41 PM

698 posts, read 797,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life;37680962.
OP, don't think too hard about it. Get up, go to work, save your money, work your way through it. Go to bed. Get up, go to work, etc.
Very good advice by the way much better

Old 12-18-2014, 05:16 AM

611 posts, read 1,455,580 times
After I apologized for my 1 year here, 18 months there resume, a hiring manager told me not to worry about my job-hopping, that she had done the same thing in her 20's. She said it never felt right to her to stay somewhere that she knew wouldn't work out long term. And I managed to do all of this job hopping DURING the recession (I'm 28 now)

I'm very much the same way, if something doesn't work = lets fix it. But overtime I have learned that even though I may have more sense/skills than my manager, I need to keep my mouth shut and let him/her figure it out.
Now, I just go to work, bust my a** and clock out.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:04 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,658,856 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

OP, at some point you're going to have to come to the realization that the issue may lie with you and not with the job itself. A job is just that... a job. It's a means to an end. I grew up working outside and loved it. I always said I'd never get a desk job. Then I moved away from home and quickly realized I was going broke. I went back to college and took a desk job. I made the decision that while sitting at a desk isn't my favorite past time I may as well see how far it can take me. Since coming to the realization that I can make more money at my desk job that takes care of my family, I've been much happier. All our bills are paid, we have money stuffed back in a nest egg, and we have some money left over to enjoy life.

The time to stop job hopping is now. The more frequently the hop, the less employable you are going to become. Everyone pays their dues in their career and works their way up. You can't dodge that unfortunately. I would focus on working as much as possible to get out of that shelter and then start working your way up the ladder.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-18-2014 at 08:06 AM..

Old 12-18-2014, 06:18 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,788,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
There is a percentage of the population that just isn't cut out for "real life". Maybe more than most people think. Perhaps you are just in that group.
True.

And to add let's also keep in mind that this is but one aspect of real life. OP does not have the added real life pressures and stresses of a real career, a home, car/s, a wife, kids, dog, etc. There's tons to take care of and it can feel overwhelming havnig a small world on one's shoulders. And it's not like things go smoothly all the time. Loved one's get serious illnesses, kids need care, homes need constant repairs. We hardly have time to make a home cooked meal. Life is hard, work is but one aspect.

That's more real life, OP just has a part time job that he hates. Needs to toughen up...a lot.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:26 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,788,010 times
Mod cut: Orphaned and off-topic.

Anywhoo, I very much agree with the OP needing to focus on personality and perspective. The world can be a better place for him.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-18-2014 at 08:07 AM..

Old 12-18-2014, 06:28 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
It may not seem important now but when you approach 60 you will wonder why you didn't stay long enough to vest for a pension anywhere.
Agree. I'm 45 years old and just this year is the FIRST time I finally qualified to vest in a pension. I'm thrilled but also really sad it took this long. The only other job I stayed at for 5+ years didn't offer a pension, and I've only stayed 1-3 years at all prior jobs to this one.

Now that I'm over the hump and closer to retirement than I am to my first job, I'm trying to do all I can to make up for lost time - dumping everything I can into 401K, pension plan, Roth IRAs, etc.

If I had a chance to talk to my 25 year old self, I'd castigate her for being so short-sighted and NOT sticking around in jobs long enough to see where they'd take me AND become vested (by the age of 25 I was already on Employer #3 after college).

OP - a job is a job. Very few people are fortunate to do work they truly LOVE and have a passion for. I've been a secretary (with various titles) for almost 25 years. It's not like I have a passion for answering phones, typing up letters and setting up meetings. Fortunately, my responsibilities have changed over the years to where I'm more of a data analyst than a secretary (although my title is admin asst). But a job is a job - you do what you do in order to enjoy life outside of work once the bills are paid.

Try to stick with what you are doing - get past the temp job into the permanent position and that might make you feel more inclined to stick around. Consider staying around if only to gain some traction and perhaps become skillful enough that you can be promoted or transfer to another position that is more interesting. That may take 1-2 years to do, but it'll be worth it if you put in the work necessary to make it happen.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment