Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 05:25 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times

Advertisements

Why would a college put limits to the number of students they accept due to the local job market? Many people have no intentions of staying in their college town upon graduation. Things can change a great deal in the 4-6 years it takes people to complete degrees. And colleges are all about making money. If they start limiting the number of students they accept, tuition is going to skyrocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 06:16 PM

687 posts, read 616,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why would a college put limits to the number of students they accept due to the local job market? Many people have no intentions of staying in their college town upon graduation. Things can change a great deal in the 4-6 years it takes people to complete degrees. And colleges are all about making money. If they start limiting the number of students they accept, tuition is going to skyrocket.
Not limit the total number of students in college, but what they enroll in. Yeah, it's kind of impractical, but in the spirit of moderation, as telling everyone to go to college is even more impractical (also making tuition skyrocket).

Old 12-18-2014, 07:02 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
If I may ask (and no offense meant) why would anyone pursue a degree in Liberal Arts? Especially at Grad level?
A masters degree in the liberal arts is particularly helpful.if you have a PHd in the liberal arts at least you would be qualified for some faculty or adjunct faculty positions though they are hard-to-find. But what's with a masters degree in the liberal arts? That sounds like you're just a tool used to keep professors jobs.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Good advice but the problem I usually find is not "I can't find the HR jobs, the recruiting jobs, the sales jobs etc..." it is rather " Yea I found the HR, the recruiting, the sales jobs and I applied to them, the problem is no one is calling me back".

HR jobs, I honestly do wonder how one acquires a job in HR? Yes I often see job openings in recruiting (often as recruiters for various employment agencies and sales (often commission only) that really don't care about the candidate having a specific degree and or years of experience. Yet I have never seen a HR job opening that did not require X years of experience and or a degree in X.

In any case, I believe you are on point. Probably the best bet for the LA grad is to apply for the non-specific degree jobs. The question being then, are there enough non-specific degree jobs to satisfy all the LA grads?
Speaking of hr and recruiting, there are lots of places that offer a degree in hr management, training and development. Those are specific to the field.

There aren't enough jobs in general.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:07 PM

336 posts, read 442,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
My friend with an English Lit degree from Michigan is closing in on $100k. She's only 30. I have a social science degree (also from Michigan) and I'm closing in on $70k base salary (I actually made more than that this year with bonuses). I'm 29. Not necessarily an exceptional salary, but I make more than my parents do and I still have plenty of years ahead of me, too. I know several more in this boat as well. We probably won't see many stories like this on here though. Successful people tend not to post their stories on Internet forums.

One thing I've learned awhile ago is that it's seldom that reality reflects the negativity and hubris that is spewed on Internet forums.
I find that to be impressive and thank you for telling us of your positive experiences. If you dont mind, what field are you in?

Old 12-18-2014, 07:14 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundNinia View Post
I find that to be impressive and thank you for telling us of your positive experiences. If you dont mind, what field are you in?
I work in the Finance arm of our company. Specifically, I analyze purchasing data. The industry I'm currently in is telecom, but I've also worked in IT sales support. I've been gainfully employed since graduation in 2008.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
What most LA grads with liberal arts degrees do: move to the big city, live with roommates, and wait for something promising to come along.

Anyway most LA grads got their "unemployable" degrees to avoid boring careers in HR. They want satisfaction and engagement. Millennials are one of the most creative generations yet.
There is nothing creative about someone who unhappily out of no choice live with roommates or mom and dad and complain about their failure to launch. If people are really creative, you would see them prospering, busy with their dreams, and smiling at others.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:35 PM

133 posts, read 175,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I'm terrible at math; I'm not a numbers person at all. My strong suit is languages and the written word. It doesn't help that I hate my area and want to move badly... but need a 2nd job to save to do that. Vicious cycle. :\
Look into a degree program in "online" journalism. This way you can segue way into more of a marketing position. Have you thought about copywriting? Or a degree in MLIS, but if you go this route try to pick up basic scripting languages like HTML, Javascript, etc.

How much do you know about social media??? If you already have these skills list them, or volunteer somewhere locally utilizing your online skills.

Some of these courses can be taken at your local community college. Good luck

Old 12-18-2014, 09:16 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Good advice but the problem I usually find is not "I can't find the HR jobs, the recruiting jobs, the sales jobs etc..." it is rather " Yea I found the HR, the recruiting, the sales jobs and I applied to them, the problem is no one is calling me back".

HR jobs, I honestly do wonder how one acquires a job in HR? Yes I often see job openings in recruiting (often as recruiters for various employment agencies and sales (often commission only) that really don't care about the candidate having a specific degree and or years of experience. Yet I have never seen a HR job opening that did not require X years of experience and or a degree in X.

In any case, I believe you are on point. Probably the best bet for the LA grad is to apply for the non-specific degree jobs. The question being then, are there enough non-specific degree jobs to satisfy all the LA grads?
i had a college internship in HR. Got me interviews for adminstrative assistants position. I wish I didn't waste my time at my second internship with the county gov and a non profit.

But degrees like art are a recipe for disaster.

I think sociology, psychology, sociology, social sciences, english, history, and communications are best to get a job in sales, marketing, HR, or recruting.

Colleges offerings MAs in anthropology, history, sociology, and the such bother me. I know those ppl can't find a job with that degree or will have a hard time getting one.

I don't know why, but my college made me take stats and mathematical ideas for a liberal arts major. But at least I have a good reputation attached to the uni i went to and IT DID help me getting interviews within my state.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:43 PM

906 posts, read 712,477 times
well i did la, probably the most liberal of the arts lol, so i guess i'll just sit here and muse over my uselessness...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment