Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 04:41 PM

14 posts, read 10,256 times

Advertisements

Ok so here is my story. I'm a recent graduate with few months of prior work experience. I got this job through a staffing firm. My staffing recruiter just asked me if I want this job. I said yes & immediately he confirmed that I could start working from next week. I was never called for any interview nor was there any telephonic interview round. I was happy because the pay was good & there weren't any interviews either. So I start my work from Monday. The first day goes off well, it's a small family run business (the owners are very rich) and my co workers were very nice. My immediate supervisor was nice too. However, the problem starts from the second day when the owner comes to meet me.

The owner is a horrible lady. Second day itself she asks me to deposit some checks in the morning. Now before leaving, I had informed my supervisor that the bank is located many blocks away & it would be quite a walk. My supervisor agreed. However, when I returned, the owner called in thrice to check why I was so late. Despite walking so many blocks in the cold and getting the work done, the owner blamed me for being slow & wasting her time! Again second time I was asked to go & collect some stamps for Christmas. This time she sent her driver with me. Again I was yelled at because it took me time at the post office (do you see those lines at the post office during Christmas? She expected me to get done in 20 minutes!). I offered to stay overtime that day to help with their work since she said I wasted time! I was willing to not claim that extra hour as overtime duty.

Third day was the worst!! The rude owner called me and asked me to make a list of people she needs to send Christmas cards to. Once I did that, she asked me to double check the names. She read out the names with loud music on at her residence & if i kept asking her to repeat what she said, she yelled at me nastily...comparing me to her 12 year old child and saying she can do a better job than me. I made some minor errors in jotting down the names which she made a big deal of. Now comes the most annoying part. Ok so I was asked to post 850 name stamps on greeting cards. Out of those stamps, few weren't posted in the center. Who notices so much, as long as it's posted correctly ? Now she made a big deal, called me a lousy person, said I wasted her money and she has to restamp it herself now. While talking to her, if the phone rang, she yelled at me 'pick up the Goddamn phone'! It was only my third day, I didn't even remember the extensions to transfer calls. That's not the end. My ordeal is not over yet. After constantly making me feel like an idiot, she asked me to do a work..while calling me names. Commented on my attire saying that with these clothes I won't get any corporate job(though this was a small home run company, no corporate setting and there was nothing wrong with my clothing)

I stood up, told her she insulted me enough and said I'm quitting. She stood up & asked me to 'get out' & while I was collecting my stuff, she kept screaming that I should hurry up pick my stuff and get the hell out. She kept barking that 'you didn't quit, we dumped you'. She also asked her team to check if I've stolen anything!

Is this harassment? Has anybody been made to feel so small? I wonder why she behaved like this. I think I did a good thing by quitting! This being my second job, I was shocked by such behavior. I'm new to United States and have never seen such unprofessional behavior before. If you don't like my work, you can fire me. Likewise if I didn't like working there, I don't think its a big deal to politely say that u quit. She didn't have to bark like this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 05:28 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,577,653 times
You were right to quit and you put up with it a lot longer than many of us would have.

This is a sick, miserable, abusive person who has so many issues she shouldn't be managing anyone. Nobody should put up with that.

Good for you for quitting and hope you find a really great job soon.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:57 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,721,299 times
What a horrible work environment! Good thing you got out.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:09 PM

687 posts, read 615,666 times
That unreal! She sounds like a nutcase. You got paid for the time you were there, right? Wonder how fast she goes through employees.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:19 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,325,618 times
Make sure that your staffing recruiter knows what happened. That is a horrible way to start your career and hopefully, if you are going to continue working with your recruiter, you will find a good place to work. That level of disrespect is definitely what I would call harassment.

For your next job, take your time before accepting. A positive about an interview is that you get to see the environment, see how the workers interact, and often have an opportunity to speak with people who would be your co-workers. Had you done that, you probably would have known what to expect on that job and might not have taken it. Good luck on your next one.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:42 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,564,432 times
It's abuse, not harassment and she is nuts!
You put up with more than I would.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:54 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,807,486 times
Were you working for my former boss? I swear, if I drove up and her car was there, my stomach started to knot up. I think she definitely had some sort of personality disorder. She could be nice as could be and then start cussing me out a few minutes later. I'm surprised I didn't cut my feet on the eggshells!

Old 12-18-2014, 11:39 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,836,565 times
Thats abuse. I wish you would sue her. Personally i dont like small companies or businesses because most of them i have come across are cheap & don't invest money in training their management. Working even minimum wage at a big corporations like walmart, mc donalds is better because they spend money training their staff & they care about their reputation so the least you can do is go to the media with your complaints. Such abuse at small businesses doesn't make interesting story because people hardly know them so the media is unlikely to pick the story. See if you can contact the small business bureau & complain about them. You can also write a review about working for them on glassdoor.com

Old 12-19-2014, 05:14 AM

832 posts, read 1,416,104 times
You were certainly right to quit.

But I'd also look for a new staffing firm. They knew what they were sending you into, which is why there was no interview.

And just as an aside note:

You can buy stamps through a machine at the post office without standing in the package line. And yes, even holiday stamps. You can mail stuff too. Much, much faster.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:50 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,054,922 times
I would have called the police and had a police report it would stand up well in court for you if you had a police report. I would also sue her for slander for her trying to say that you stole something and I would also let the staffing service know what she did as well and the staffing service should decide to no longer send people out to that company .yes I would also look for a new staffing firm because they know what is going on there and they are only concerned about the money most likely. Yes write a review on glassdoor .com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment