Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 03:21 PM

289 posts, read 504,454 times

Advertisements

First off, let me say I am not a shining beacon of workplace morale myself, and I do complain about things with my coworkers. Used to be we would grumble about a topic and then brush it off as "Haha this place is such a joke" as we'd shake our heads. Sometimes we'd do something to rectify our problems or stand up for ourselves to managers over things we disagreed on and then have a good laugh over how we were able to fight the man and win.

But lately a particular coworker (let's call them "Scrooge" in honor of the season) has really ramped up the anger far beyond the head-shaking manner of former days. Scrooge shows up to work every day throwing a fit about how much they don't want to be there. They curse and complain under their breath or out loud on the floor where customers can hear. They make loud and insulting complaints about customers and managers alike out on the floor, and lately the insults have become particularly nasty and inappropriate to the point where they would likely get Scrooge suspended or fired if managers heard what was said. The complaining happens near constantly, so that every conversation becomes inundated with complaints, whether we're talking about work policies or some innocuous topic like football.

Scrooge has made a habit of taking out their anger on coworkers and customers, obviously, and I'm no exception. I've been on the receiving end of passive-aggressive comments that seem to imply I am to blame for some of Scrooge's problems. Scrooge's comments are like a poison seeping through our department and everyone is affected by this morale-sucking misery-spreader. Not to mention that their behavior and attitude are just plain unsettling and worrisome. This being the Christmas season it especially makes me angry because I would like to see people enjoying their holidays instead of getting stressed out over this.

I don't know how to handle it. I've brought it up with an immediate supervisor who is trying to figure it out themselves. I've considered going to someone higher up about Scrooge's behavior and asking them to have a talk about the issue, but Scrooge will figure it out and come at me for narking on them. However I handle it I feel like Scrooge will undoubtedly respond with defensive behavior (as is fitting of their personality), but I think perhaps the best method is to address it to their face and tell them I sympathize with them having a hard time, but that I can't be a part of the negativity anymore. Like I said though, Scrooge will probably respond by biting my head off. I don't know what the best route is. All I know is I can't go to work every day and deal with this anymore. It's draining me and everyone else.

Last edited by Orangejello; 12-20-2014 at 04:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 04:44 PM

23,514 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Document and contact HR and escalate to management. This is a serious situation and is affecting morale of co-workers and customer relationships. Do it fast before someone gets killed or injured (I'm serious).

Old 12-20-2014, 04:49 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Kill 'em with kindness.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:09 PM

3,524 posts, read 3,728,884 times
Tell Scrooge to quit being a big fat crybaby.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:10 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Don't pay any attention to scrooge. His/Her problems are their problems. If word comes back to him/her that you were "snitching" you don't know how this person will react. This is management's problem if they don't feel like he/she is a problem then you should consider finding another job or just ignoring the person.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Don't pay any attention to scrooge. His/Her problems are their problems. If word comes back to him/her that you were "snitching" you don't know how this person will react. This is management's problem if they don't feel like he/she is a problem then you should consider finding another job or just ignoring the person.
At one point I decided that, since no matter I what I said to them it would set off another rampage, that I just wouldn't say anything to them. I spent a few days just quietly doing my work without any small talk, just engaging them on work-related matters and nothing else, but not being cold about it. This just made things worse. Now Scrooge started barking at me every time they spoke to me, and shoved things at me instead of handing them to me, etc.- just very childish and bizarre behavior for an adult. So here I am left pondering what's left to do because trying to remove myself from the situation didn't work. And I work very closely with this person several days a week so I can't physically remove myself from their presence. I have to take some form of action, be it telling them to leave me out of their problems, reporting to mgmt... something.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello View Post
At one point I decided that, since no matter I what I said to them it would set off another rampage, that I just wouldn't say anything to them. I spent a few days just quietly doing my work without any small talk, just engaging them on work-related matters and nothing else, but not being cold about it. This just made things worse. Now Scrooge started barking at me every time they spoke to me, and shoved things at me instead of handing them to me, etc.- just very childish and bizarre behavior for an adult. So here I am left pondering what's left to do because trying to remove myself from the situation didn't work. And I work very closely with this person several days a week so I can't physically remove myself from their presence. I have to take some form of action, be it telling them to leave me out of their problems, reporting to mgmt... something.
Is this a retail job? Also, what is the age/gender of this person? What did you supervisor say about the person's behavior? Can you ask to be switch?

Old 12-20-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Is this a retail job? Also, what is the age/gender of this person? What did you supervisor say about the person's behavior? Can you ask to be switch?
This person is an older man. I don't know why I felt compelled to be ambiguous about this before, maybe just to be more objective about it, I don't know. But yes, he's an older guy. My immediate supervisor thinks he's making a big deal out of nothing and wishes he would stop acting like that, but wants to avoid a confrontation over it if possible. I've been on the Sup more and more lately about stepping up and trying to put an end to it because it's making me and other coworkers uncomfortable. I had considered asking to be transferred, but then I thought, "Why should I have to give up a department I love just because of someone else's issues?" He likes to throw his weight around, which is good when management tries to step on us, but it's bad when he uses it as a "get away with murder" card. He likes to brag that people leave him alone because they're afraid of him. Well I'm not afraid of him; I'm just sick of his crap and I'm reaching the limit of my patience putting up with it.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:50 PM

Sorry but if your supervisor wants to avoid the issue, management is also avoiding the issue, then it's a lost cause. IMO, you should either transfer to another department or get a new job. This old dude is not changing his behavior and management is not stepping up.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:01 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
You cannot fix this situation or this person. Its a problem that management needs to handle.

Either they fire the guy or let him continue on with his rants.

You are not a trash compactor. It is not your job to take in all the trash that your coworkers are feeding you.

You need to continue to keep to yourself...do your job....and get out of their.

Keep your head low....mouth shut.....and doing your job is the best technique for dealing with a toxic coworker.

Otherwise you are just going to continue to dig a hole for yourself.

Avoid engaging with TOXIC people. The less attention they get the less harm they can do.

Protect yourself...protect your mind. You are not a trash bin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment