Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 09:08 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,876,356 times

Advertisements

The thing that really sucks now, is that the next four months (Jan - Apr) are what we call "blackout" months, which means we can't really take any days off from work. So I might as well stop looking. What's the point, if I can't even take time off to do an interview? Ugh. I guess it's for the best though. In March I will get my $15K bonus, which will certainly help me make a move next year. But my current lease (which is month to month) ends on May 31.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 09:20 PM

93 posts, read 264,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
We don't use cover letters in my career field. But on my resume, I put "Able to Relocate" underneath my address. Maybe I should have changed it to "Relocating to ______."
IMO, a cover letter is valued in practically every career field (even accounting), and even more so if it must pass an HR screen. I currently work in HR for a mid-size organization and do a fair amount of recruiting, and our organization's culture is such that anyone who doesn't include a cover letter doesn't make it very far in the process. Occasionally, if we are desperate for someone from a specialized field (like an engineer), we will contact them without a cover letter, but the candidate is already at a disadvantage for not having included one.

Since you are trying to move, a cover letter is your only chance to build a convincing case up front as to why you would be interested in relocating for the job.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:30 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,920,135 times
Amen, BHBoston. Your most important paragraph OP would explain why you wish to relo to __________.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHboston View Post
IMO, a cover letter is valued in practically every career field (even accounting), and even more so if it must pass an HR screen. I currently work in HR for a mid-size organization and do a fair amount of recruiting, and our organization's culture is such that anyone who doesn't include a cover letter doesn't make it very far in the process. Occasionally, if we are desperate for someone from a specialized field (like an engineer), we will contact them without a cover letter, but the candidate is already at a disadvantage for not having included one.

Since you are trying to move, a cover letter is your only chance to build a convincing case up front as to why you would be interested in relocating for the job.
Most jobs applications or recruiters do NOT ask for a cover letter. However, when one is asked for, I will submit one about 50% of the time. Every job I have ever gotten did NOT require or even ask for a cover letter.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:22 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,511,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Most jobs applications or recruiters do NOT ask for a cover letter. However, when one is asked for, I will submit one about 50% of the time. Every job I have ever gotten did NOT require or even ask for a cover letter.

They don't ask for a cover letter because it's assumed you know you should send a cover letter.

And if you're only sending one half the time when they request one, you're just being lazy. I would automatically disqualify you on that alone.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:30 PM

Well, I have a good cover letter and I'll submit it from now on, when I can.
But I think my plan next year should be to (a) grab my huge bonus in March, then (b) move out of my apartment in May and move to a new city with no job lined up and $70K in cash.

I think I am going to move to the Richmond, VA area. It sounds great for me.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:37 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,511,667 times

First of all, you'll submit a cover letter when you can? What does that even mean?

Secondly, what Troy was trying to tell you is that it's tacky to keep mentioning money. We get that you're impressed by how much money you'll have, but some people here don't have jobs, so being a little sensitive to others would be nice.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

First of all, you'll submit a cover letter when you can? What does that even mean?

Secondly, what Troy was trying to tell you is that it's tacky to keep mentioning money. We get that you're impressed by how much money you'll have, but some people here don't have jobs, so being a little sensitive to others would be nice.
Umm...so now I have to hide the details of my finances, just because it might offend someone? Please. There are people in this forum who have much, much more money than I have. I don't mind it.

You're basically telling me to not reveal how much money I will have, even though it could impact the advice given in this forum, regarding a move with no job lined up. If I said I will only have $1,000 saved up, then what would your advice me? See my point?

Old 12-22-2014, 02:45 AM

135 posts, read 164,782 times
As an accountant who specializes in tax, I can tell you it doesn't matter how many positions you have applied for or their locations. Companies are only looking for tax people when they realize they need someone for tax season. This puts your current employer at a huge disadvantage if you decide to take another position. They will have a difficult time finding a replacement this close to January. Be prepared to not use them as a reference in the future.

Concerning location...Get a google voice number for the location you are targeting. Take your physical address off your resume. If you list the location of the companies you have worked at, remove those as well. In the event you worked for small companies with only 1 or 2 offices, the potential company will still have to be interested enough to do a 10 second Google search to even ask the question about your location.

If invited for an interview, suggest a phone or Skype. Tell them you can't take time off work with so many being off for the holidays and this close to tax season. Don't mention requiring more than a couple hours because of travel time.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:59 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,353,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
BTW, My current job is located 850 miles from where I lived previously, and I landed the job, then moved. While I was reimbursed for it, I would have taken it even if I had to pay for my own relo.

My ex employer often hired folks from 500-2,000 miles away.

The key thing is, though, you need to be able to show them you are there for the long-term, with true reasons to wish to be making the move.

I think that is your problem..5 moves in 8 years will look flighty combined with a desire to relo again..after what..18 months or so at a job?
Will you have to reimburse moving expenses since you are leaving the job so quickly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment