Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 09:34 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,543,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
OP a few reasons.

1) You endure because often that is the only way to a better job, especially if you graduated with a less than in-demand degree. Thus your academic credentials might not get you the job but your experience may at least give you a fighting shot to move up the ladder.

2) You have to start somewhere, everyone wants to walk into that dynamic 50k job utilizing A,B,C skills but sometimes the 30k office assistant is where you start out

3) Lack of better alternatives. I assume that if a person got a job offer for something exciting and higher paying then he/she would leave the mundane office assistant, admin assistant type jobs but if the office assistant is your only option toward a livable wage then what choice does one have?

All negatives. For me:

• my in-demand degree led me to a fulfilling career in marketing research
  • every project we take on for a client is fascinating
  • I genuinely like the people I work with
  • if I don't respect the people I work for, I move on
  • progressive advancement gave me more and more interesting work through the years
  • I was aware I had to work through the mundane tasks in the early years of my career to get more engaging things to do
  • I was willing to put in the work to earn the opportunity to advance
  • all of my opportunities require working in an office and I wouldn't have it any other way

There are a number of jobs I would be ill-equipped to do. I could not work with the public if you paid me a million dollars. God love those of you who do because you have skillsets I lack. I would not want to work in the elements, given the hot summers and frigid, snowy winters in Illinois. But I thank and appreciate the people who take on those jobs.

Like I said in a previous post, everyone is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 09:57 AM

88,300 posts, read 84,311,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
Your Admin Asst, Data Entry etc. I worked in one for over a year. Friendly co-workers and boss but......

-The repetitiveness from day to day felt soul crushing. Stuck in a small stuffy office....watching the clock... praying for 5 o'clock. How people do this crap for years amazes me.

-The over-the-top fake-nice displayed towards clients and at meetings etc. Co-workers tone in voice became "softer" when speaking to the boss. I hear this is a trend for office jobs... the fakeness... it's just ridiculous.

This job was a better set-up then most office jobs, I'm sure. Yet, it still felt like a pathetic and sad way to spend so many hours of my life. Yet, right this moment, this is the kind of job a large chunk of the American workforce is doing. It makes me sad just thinking about it... sad what people have to do to make a living. Sad that we, as a country, have to give up so much time in our lives to work jobs like this. Never again for me.
What type of business were you in? What did they do/create/provide? It can be helpful if you are working for a company that does something big that you can feel you are a part of and maybe more soul-crushing if you are doing something that does little for the world except make some big bucks for a chosen few.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:14 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,680,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I actually understand how the OP feels because I often ask myself how I'm going to handle 30 more years of this nonsense. I have a skilled office position; it's repetitive in some aspects but quite intense and complicated at the same time. I'll be honest, I hate it. It's not interesting, fun or really even all that challenging (for me). But, that's why it pays so well.

I stay because I like the money. I use the money to fund my hobbies, help out friends and family, and live a life outside work that I enjoy a great deal. I won't lie, I dream about retirement every single day I go into work, but I don't know of any other way to make as much money in less time or in a more enjoyable manner.

^^^^ this.

It also helps if you can turn your brain off for a large portion of the day -- go on auto pilot. Boring jobs are very much a waste of life. But without the money -- you don't have much of a life. Catch 22

Old 12-23-2014, 12:21 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,968,024 times
"Office job" actually describes a vast spectrum of types of jobs, and the OP might be surprised at the diversity or people's experiences, motivations, and lives.

I work in an office as an admin assistant, 9 to 5-ish. Some of my tasks are super-annoying and repetitive. Other parts of the job are more satisfying and engaging.

I actually think it's quite possible to have at such a job and still be very satisfied with your life. For one thing, I am really fond of the organization I work for- it's a nonprofit that does wonderful work and that makes even my more boring tasks seem more worthwhile. And it pays the bills, gives me great insurance, and allows me to do things (like going to Hawaii just about every year) that would be hard to do without a "real" job.

But also, as others have mentioned earlier in this thread, your job doesn't have to be your only calling. The OP says

I saw no personal satisfaction from this office job... just a grind to make it to 5 o'clock. Go home. Watch TV. Sleep. Rinse and repeat.

Why does your life have to end at 5? A lot of people work longer than 40 hours a week; take advantage of your remaining time and energy and do something other than watching TV. Volunteer, play an instrument, go on hikes, join a sport, whatever.

I write music, play in two bands, work on my yoga practice, and enjoy time with my wife and pets, all outside of work hours, and while I like my job, those are the things that really motivate me. 9-5 still leaves a lot of free time if you are motivated and organized.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:47 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,819,637 times
Quote:
Yeah it's better then those jobs but they all suck IMO. I saw no personal satisfaction from this office job... just a grind to make it to 5 o'clock. Go home. Watch TV. Sleep. Rinse and repeat.
I usually get out around 5:30 and I think it's great. You have pretty much a whole day to do stuff still. A lot of my friends work until 7 or 8. I personally think I work great hours. Usually 8:30 - 5:30. I take 45 minutes for lunch. I work a pretty boring job, but it doesn't really bother me because the hours aren't long. I'm just glad I have a job in an office rather than working retail, which I find VERY boring.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:18 PM

9,260 posts, read 14,837,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Yeah, wtf IS a ''rocket surgeon''? Lol
A rocket surgeon does nose cone jobs.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:35 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,309,802 times
Quote:
Your Admin Asst, Data Entry etc. I worked in one for over a year. Friendly co-workers and boss but......

-The repetitiveness from day to day felt soul crushing. Stuck in a small stuffy office....watching the clock... praying for 5 o'clock. How people do this crap for years amazes me.

-The over-the-top fake-nice displayed towards clients and at meetings etc. Co-workers tone in voice became "softer" when speaking to the boss. I hear this is a trend for office jobs... the fakeness... it's just ridiculous.

This job was a better set-up then most office jobs, I'm sure. Yet, it still felt like a pathetic and sad way to spend so many hours of my life. Yet, right this moment, this is the kind of job a large chunk of the American workforce is doing. It makes me sad just thinking about it... sad what people have to do to make a living. Sad that we, as a country, have to give up so much time in our lives to work jobs like this. Never again for me.
Agree with everything you said. I posted a thread about this a few weeks ago and office jobs/people are the worst. I could only work an office job if I was away from the desk 50-75% of the time doing some type of on site work. Office employees deserve a purple heart.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:45 PM

247 posts, read 258,027 times
I work an office job, though it's not exactly "basic", I'm a software engineer. There are some days when I really enjoy my job, having to debug something or solve problems. Other days it can be really slow and boring and I just don't feel motivated at all.
I'd much rather be busy and challenged than have to do something mindless.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:50 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,747,390 times
Quote:
<snip>
This job was a better set-up then most office jobs, I'm sure. Yet, it still felt like a pathetic and sad way to spend so many hours of my life. Yet, right this moment, this is the kind of job a large chunk of the American workforce is doing. It makes me sad just thinking about it... sad what people have to do to make a living. Sad that we, as a country, have to give up so much time in our lives to work jobs like this.
Why? I don't see anything at all wrong with that type of a job. After all, it's just a job. It's just a way to earn a living. Once your workday ends, do whatever makes you happy. A person's job does not have to be exciting, stimulating or involve coming up with creative solutions to things.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:12 PM

5 posts, read 4,692 times
Simple answer...because they get a paycheck.

The powers that be have us exactly where they want us and there's nothing we can do about it. We won't work for free, but we will work for very little, and they know it.

Watch in utter amazement over the coming years as everybody is reduced to minimum wage and nobody raises a peep. You see, as long as they get the paycheck they can afford some simple foodstuffs and pay whatever minimum for rent, electricity, and TV or internet to keep their minds entertained by the latest nonsense from hollywood.

And those without work will get just enough to pay for the above and not a penny more.

It's all calculated down to the cent. If you ever do complain, they will bring in your replacement from Mexico, India, or China, from the billions who are picking vegetables from the ground and yearn for an office job. And if they can't bring in a replacement they'll outsource the job.

It's called the American Dream. Because you have to be asleep to believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment