Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 06:46 PM

106 posts, read 140,985 times

Advertisements

World needs ditch diggers too my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 07:33 PM

155 posts, read 136,287 times
awesome and appropriate response. good one

Old 12-23-2014, 09:34 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Why? I don't see anything at all wrong with that type of a job. After all, it's just a job. It's just a way to earn a living. Once your workday ends, do whatever makes you happy. A person's job does not have to be exciting, stimulating or involve coming up with creative solutions to things.
My thoughts exactly. Whatever job I have, its purpose is the same - to get me paid. My job provides my family with income. Your job is as you make it. If you're a boob who sits around playing on the internet and doesn't stick his/her neck out to do more engaging things when the need arises, then yeah...it'd suck for you. However, if you're someone who grabs at challenge when it comes along and shows people that you're more than a stiff collecting a paycheck, then you'd find that the job...at least most jobs...can be not so terribly unpleasant.

Everyone has their mundane and repetitive tasks, that's just a fact of life. No need to poop on those who perform jobs that you feel are beneath you. They're earning a paycheck and being productive citizens.

As for the fake smile thing, well that's called being a professional. It goes with the territory. It's illusory, but the office environment is supposed to at least give the appearance of being harmonious.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:10 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I did it for 10 years, working out of a cube for a big computer company, being laid off in 1989.

Whew! Just in time! Before then, you could still smoke at your cubicle, and that all changed shortly after I left, keeping in contact with co-workers! And they even stretched it out that you couldn't smoke on the premises of the company's headquarters!

If I had stayed at that job, I would have ended up weighing 400 pounds, substituting cigarettes for candy!

Can't imagine it today, working in one of these places!

Old 12-23-2014, 10:44 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
Your Admin Asst, Data Entry etc. I worked in one for over a year. Friendly co-workers and boss but......

-The repetitiveness from day to day felt soul crushing. Stuck in a small stuffy office....watching the clock... praying for 5 o'clock. How people do this crap for years amazes me.

-The over-the-top fake-nice displayed towards clients and at meetings etc. Co-workers tone in voice became "softer" when speaking to the boss. I hear this is a trend for office jobs... the fakeness... it's just ridiculous.

This job was a better set-up then most office jobs, I'm sure. Yet, it still felt like a pathetic and sad way to spend so many hours of my life. Yet, right this moment, this is the kind of job a large chunk of the American workforce is doing. It makes me sad just thinking about it... sad what people have to do to make a living. Sad that we, as a country, have to give up so much time in our lives to work jobs like this. Never again for me.
It beats doing fast food, retail, and labor

Old 12-24-2014, 05:42 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Better than standing up for 8 hours straight I guess.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:45 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
And anything beats working in assisted living.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:37 AM

518 posts, read 872,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What type of business were you in? What did they do/create/provide? It can be helpful if you are working for a company that does something big that you can feel you are a part of and maybe more soul-crushing if you are doing something that does little for the world except make some big bucks for a chosen few.
It was a small tax office. I did nothing that felt fulfilling and there was limited interaction with clients . I did behind the scenes busy work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I usually get out around 5:30 and I think it's great. You have pretty much a whole day to do stuff still. A lot of my friends work until 7 or 8. I personally think I work great hours. Usually 8:30 - 5:30. I take 45 minutes for lunch. I work a pretty boring job, but it doesn't really bother me because the hours aren't long. I'm just glad I have a job in an office rather than working retail, which I find VERY boring.
That's true. I felt lazy and unmotivated during this time... when working a boring job should have done the opposite-motivated me to enjoy my free time that much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Why? I don't see anything at all wrong with that type of a job. After all, it's just a job. It's just a way to earn a living. Once your workday ends, do whatever makes you happy. A person's job does not have to be exciting, stimulating or involve coming up with creative solutions to things.
That's a healthy way to look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfens9 View Post
Simple answer...because they get a paycheck.

The powers that be have us exactly where they want us and there's nothing we can do about it. We won't work for free, but we will work for very little, and they know it.

Watch in utter amazement over the coming years as everybody is reduced to minimum wage and nobody raises a peep. You see, as long as they get the paycheck they can afford some simple foodstuffs and pay whatever minimum for rent, electricity, and TV or internet to keep their minds entertained by the latest nonsense from hollywood.

And those without work will get just enough to pay for the above and not a penny more.

It's all calculated down to the cent. If you ever do complain, they will bring in your replacement from Mexico, India, or China, from the billions who are picking vegetables from the ground and yearn for an office job. And if they can't bring in a replacement they'll outsource the job.

It's called the American Dream. Because you have to be asleep to believe it.
I think you're on to something here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Fast food and labor, yes. But I see some advantages of retail depending on the environment. You get a lot more social interaction in a nice retail workplace. Making chit chat with customers etc. When I worked at this tax office, I felt that was missing a bit and *may* have made the mundane job more enjoyable and fulfilling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Better than standing up for 8 hours straight I guess.
A combination of both is best imo. Sitting all day is not healthy.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:41 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
I've done it too, and it was horrible. I think that not all office jobs are like that, but many are. People who worked there for years, in my opinion, either became a kind of work zombie or became those nasty, petty, mean, catty, crazy coworkers that we so often complain about here.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:54 AM

518 posts, read 872,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I've done it too, and it was horrible. I think that not all office jobs are like that, but many are. People who worked there for years, in my opinion, either became a kind of work zombie or became those nasty, petty, mean, catty, crazy coworkers that we so often complain about here.
I agree. I was slowly becoming a detached work zombie. It felt like life was passing me bye but there weren't better alternatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment