Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 06:58 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I agree with you. Many office jobs are soul-crushing, the plastic corporate culture sucks, fake people, office politics, kiss-ups. It is obnoxious. But unless you can make a living as an artist, writer, etc., you are pretty much stuck with offices as a place to work. To make matters worse, I'm a corporate paralegal who makes a living helping the one percent make use of tax loopholes to avoid paying taxes and rich jerks (and many of them are) get richer. But fact-of-life is that it pays well.

I find that watching Office Space--which I've watched many times over--makes me feel better.
Haha! Me too!

And I agree - office jobs pay well. Also, it's not just the office -but the work itself. IF the work itself is interesting; then the fact that one is in an office can be overlooked. Except for the BS - that never seems to go away.

I used to travel a lot and I do miss that; but regular office hours do help me be able to devote some time to actually having a personal life as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
A cushy office job that pays well above a living wage VS juggling multiple minimum wage labor jobs with no benefits only to still come up short when bills are due. The choice is simple.
Heck yeah! Plus, manual labor was never my thing. I would much rather be sitting in a cozy office 8-5 than digging ditches or something. Or working at McD's.

I got spoiled because my first office job was SO FUN. The people were fun and they made work fun. I loved the hustle and bustle and ringing phones, etc.

Well, all that changed and the fun wore off but it still beats working in the coal mines. No offense to anyone; but I'll keep my cozy office space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
Exactly.

Of course I didn't mean never standing up all day... but it's a sedentary job. The typical office job most imagine that is. Maybe you're sitting for 6 out of the 8 hours whatever... you're on your butt most of the day or nearly the entire day.

That sounds about right.
I'm going to agree that the sitting part is TERRIBLE for your body. I just read an article that it's as bad as smoking.

I get up once every hour and walk around the building (inside in the winter). I workout in the early mornings but I feel it's just negated by then going and sitting for 8 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 08:18 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times
For some people this is their only option. When you don't have a choice how else do you survive?

The real question should be.. How do people survive not working, and being "too good" to take lower paying jobs.. Like not working for a year is better than making 30k a year...

Old 12-25-2014, 12:03 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Haha! Me too!

And I agree - office jobs pay well. Also, it's not just the office -but the work itself. IF the work itself is interesting; then the fact that one is in an office can be overlooked. Except for the BS - that never seems to go away.

I used to travel a lot and I do miss that; but regular office hours do help me be able to devote some time to actually having a personal life as well.

Heck yeah! Plus, manual labor was never my thing. I would much rather be sitting in a cozy office 8-5 than digging ditches or something. Or working at McD's.

I got spoiled because my first office job was SO FUN. The people were fun and they made work fun. I loved the hustle and bustle and ringing phones, etc.

Well, all that changed and the fun wore off but it still beats working in the coal mines. No offense to anyone; but I'll keep my cozy office space.

I'm going to agree that the sitting part is TERRIBLE for your body. I just read an article that it's as bad as smoking.

I get up once every hour and walk around the building (inside in the winter). I workout in the early mornings but I feel it's just negated by then going and sitting for 8 hours.
That's the point I made about office workers, that everyone gets up atleast once or twice an hour.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:20 PM

115 posts, read 174,594 times
They have bills to pay and realize they could be doing hard labor for minimum wage, so feel grateful for what they have.
Also, certain employers realize the lack of workload and allow them to read books and waste away time online, not to mention sexting and random shenanigans.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:57 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times
I'm fortunate that about 70% of my job is office. The rest of the time I'm monitoring work on the job site, making sure things are built right.. Power plants, chemical plants, drilling platforms.. I can walk around as much or as little as I want pretty much all day, and have access to wherever I want without anyone saying anything.. Some days I'm out there an hour or 2, other days 5 or 6 hours.. Usually around 3 though.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:56 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
For some people this is their only option. When you don't have a choice how else do you survive?

The real question should be.. How do people survive not working, and being "too good" to take lower paying jobs.. Like not working for a year is better than making 30k a year...

Agree very much. First off getting the 30k office job is often a feat in itself with the whole "entry level needs 2-3 years experience and prefer a degree in X" nonsense that is prevalent today. So when you are actual able to land that 30k job (pat yourself on the back I know it certainly was not easy), you will most likely have to work at it for a few years before you can move up-i.e... no matter how soul crushing or boring the office job may be there is no real alternative. For example I have to believe that working the boring 30k office job for a year will give a better chance at landing that 35-40k office job than working at the register of CVS for a year.

As to how do people survive by not taking lower paying jobs? First I assume that for the moment they can afford to hold out (parental support, still finically solvent from last job, the significant other is still working etc...)-however that state usually does not last. So either one goes back to school for something in demand or they simply accept that for the moment they will have to take the lower paying jobs to get

Old 12-26-2014, 08:04 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
And anything beats working in assisted living.
The 10 Big Lies of Multi-Level Marketing

I still say its better than MLM. For paying jobs, however, you may be right.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:39 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
And it's not just office jobs what about people who drive the bus all day? I believe they are less mobile than officer workers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment