Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 02:16 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
So if they were speaking in English you wouldn't have been able to, er, collaborate with them anyhow, right?
Exactly. And according to this ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Pretty much, yes. As someone who speaks multiple languages, I admit I have shifted to another language when I wanted to say something but didn't want to be understood by most people around me. It always earns me a sharp slap on the hand or a piercing glare from my relatives.

I've also busted people in public when they were talking about me in Spanish in front of me. The looks on their faces when this gringa Jew busted out on them in Spanish was priceless. It's fun.

It's not off-base to assume that someone has switched to a different language because they don't want others to understand what they're saying. Not off-base at all.
...OP does it too. "It's fun!!" She just doesn't like it when it's done to her.

Denial, hypocrisy. The usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 03:02 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
So if they were speaking in English you wouldn't have been able to, er, collaborate with them anyhow, right?
Doesn't stop them from asking me questions when I have my headphones on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Exactly. And according to this ...

...OP does it too. "It's fun!!" She just doesn't like it when it's done to her.

Denial, hypocrisy. The usual.

Hmm, except I previously stated that I always speak English at work. My relatives (the ones slapping my wrist and glaring at me) obviously aren't in the office with me.

Also, "in public" refers to standing in line at Target or Subway, not in the office.

The only people speaking Spanish at work in my office are subcontracted cleaning staff. (The Latinos who work for my company speak English at work, despite the fact that it's quite likely a large percentage of them speak at least some Spanish.)

Selective amnesia and putting words in my mouth. The usual.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:00 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
For a quick laugh remember on a post where a white woman (school Teacher) walking toward a couple of Hispanics who said some choice words about her in passing by whereupon she turned around and Chastised them in PERFECT SPANISH.

I could imagine the surprised look on their faces.

As a teen something similar was done to me by a girl (my age) along with her mother talking about my clothes etc in a foreign language.(my Language)

I was standing on a streetcar on my way home from school and when my change in cars came up I leaned forward to press the buzzer and said "Excuse me Please" in my first tongue...HUNGARIAN.

Both their mouths dropped open....it does happen

Old 12-28-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Hmm, except I previously stated that I always speak English at work. My relatives (the ones slapping my wrist and glaring at me) obviously aren't in the office with me.

Also, "in public" refers to standing in line at Target or Subway, not in the office.

The only people speaking Spanish at work in my office are subcontracted cleaning staff. (The Latinos who work for my company speak English at work, despite the fact that it's quite likely a large percentage of them speak at least some Spanish.)

Selective amnesia and putting words in my mouth. The usual.
So, hoss, what are you going to DO about it???????????

Old 12-28-2014, 05:36 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So, hoss, what are you going to DO about it???????????

Most likely nothing, though I'm sure you'd love for me to barge into my boss's office complaining about it only to get frogmarched to HR and accused of racism, right? Because that's what you hope happens.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Most likely nothing, though I'm sure you'd love for me to barge into my boss's office complaining about it only to get frogmarched to HR and accused of racism, right? Because that's what you hope happens.
HR or anyone doesn't have a leg to stand on. You've said previously that people at your workplace are "supposed to speak English". Therefor it must be an official rule. If you just show your boss and HR the official rule, you're in the clear.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:52 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,990,784 times
Quote:
Pretty much, yes. As someone who speaks multiple languages, I admit I have shifted to another language when I wanted to say something but didn't want to be understood by most people around me. It always earns me a sharp slap on the hand or a piercing glare from my relatives.

I've also busted people in public when they were talking about me in Spanish in front of me. The looks on their faces when this gringa Jew busted out on them in Spanish was priceless. It's fun.

It's not off-base to assume that someone has switched to a different language because they don't want others to understand what they're saying. Not off-base at all.
Not off base at all. Nope. It's just like whispering. But saying I'd rather not try to whisper and just speak audible

Old 12-28-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You've said previously that people at your workplace are "supposed to speak English". Therefor it must be an official rule. If you just show your boss and HR the official rule, you're in the clear.
^^^

Presumably your boss knows the rule.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:31 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek
Actually, I didn't notice they were speaking Telegu until it was pointed out to me. I spend most of the day wearing headphones to filter out the extremely high noise levels in my office. It was also brought to my attention that I was a subject of gossip by another coworker.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek
And to speak to your point...how would I know if I'm supposed to be part of the conversation if I can't understand it? Maybe I could help with the problems they're always having. But I wouldn't know.
Ok, I get it. You're annoyed that they may possibly be gossiping about you. Let's not pretend you're out to help with collaboration for the company's benefit.
You're just sitting there with your headphones on so it doesn't really matter if they were speaking in English or not.

Last edited by jaypee; 12-28-2014 at 07:06 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 07:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
It your involved in the conversion or they are talking about you; then its rude to our standards. If company allows it other wise; its not. We have no official language; so it hard for companies to enforce speaking only English in this suit happy society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment