U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 956 times

Advertisements

I am getting into the health field and getting a biology degree which gives me lots of options on health careers. I don't want to be a MD or DO cause the schooling is way too long with 4 years of school and another 3 or 4 years of residency. Anyone in the health field know any good careers? I heard that pharmacy is dying right now, PA seems to be pretty hot. They say do what you want, but I just want to hear opinions and suggestions so I can explore some more and I will make the final decision. Also post why you think that career is a good choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 10:55 AM

3,965 posts, read 3,277,804 times
Well, you are certainly right about the amount of education required to become a physician- and your projection of time as a resident is very conservative. Any surgical specialty will require 5-7 years of training, and anything in medicine that is a specialty will require fellowship of 2-4 years beyond the 3 years of Internal Medicine/Peds etc.

You mentioned Physician Assistant, but don't discount the fact that it is a Master's level degree that takes post graduate level work as well (2 years, I believe).

I have also heard that Pharmacy is in a bit of a lull right now. Don't know how much of that has to do with schools pushing the PharmD, lack of jobs, or both.

I would say if you want to do something quick and easy that only requires Certificate level training, maybe think about Surgical Technology. You have the excitement of being in the OR and many good, smart ones transition to going back to nursing school or becoming Leads (very valuable to the Surgeons). You might also do work in a Lab (Med Tech usually requires a Bechelor's), but MLT does not. Honestly, though, I could see many lab jobs being replaced by technology.

You might also want to consider Imaging. Radiologic Technologist is the entry level point in this career ladder (but nearly everyone has a Bachelor's now). If you are really sharp and enjoy the Physics, you can consider becoming a Radiation Therapist or Dosimetrist. And if you are really, really smart, get an MS (or usually PhD) and become a Physicist.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:17 AM

5,340 posts, read 5,303,414 times
Another person looking for the easiest route and the lowest road. People who last in the healthcare field are the ones who are doing it for much more than $. THat's why MD's and others are able to put so much time and energy into their profession. It's about more than making a good living. Same goes for much of healthcare. Nursing has become a whole different field - very competitive and much knowledge. The people I know in healthcare are not low road people.

Almost anything in healthcare that has a good salary will require a good deal of effort. Even nurses put in a good amount of effort towards getting ahead. It’s getting much more prevalent for nurses (especially manager level) to have a MSN, DNP, etc.

That said, if it were me one of my primary considerations would be a CRNA, PA would be second.

Best of luck

Old 12-23-2014, 12:39 PM

3,965 posts, read 3,277,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Almost anything in healthcare that has a good salary will require a good deal of effort. Even nurses put in a good amount of effort towards getting ahead. Itís getting much more prevalent for nurses

Best of luck
Good points. Also, OP, I just noticed that you said you are majoring in Biology. Keep in mind that many of the careers mentioned above (and others as well) require degrees in that specific discipline (Nursing, Rad Tech etc), so a generic degree, even in a STEM field is not going to necessarily be the best route.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:18 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,508,503 times
Majoring in biology? Why not specialize in graduate school and go into medical research?

Old 12-24-2014, 02:10 AM

43,258 posts, read 41,844,197 times
Geriatrics.

Have you seen how many baby boomers there are out there??

Old 12-24-2014, 06:22 AM

5,248 posts, read 5,173,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Majoring in biology? Why not specialize in graduate school and go into medical research?
Cause it pays like crap.

OP, PA is "hot" right now---they're hiring PAs like crazy. But make sure you actually like the field first.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:32 AM

7,385 posts, read 11,554,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mednoob View Post
I am getting into the health field and getting a biology degree which gives me lots of options on health careers. I don't want to be a MD or DO cause the schooling is way too long with 4 years of school and another 3 or 4 years of residency. Anyone in the health field know any good careers? I heard that pharmacy is dying right now, PA seems to be pretty hot. They say do what you want, but I just want to hear opinions and suggestions so I can explore some more and I will make the final decision. Also post why you think that career is a good choice.
Being an MD is the wise choice.

People always say, "Oh, the schooling is too long and it's too much $."

Yea, there's a reason why those things are the way they are. Would you want somebody giving health advice that wasn't well trained?

The rewards are guaranteed job wherever you want to move which places you in upper middle class no matter where you move.

NO other job can do that.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:04 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,051,472 times
Why not dentistry? Depending on where you live, there are now more options for dentistry than just private practice. You could still work 8-5, have vacation, get benefits. I've seen what those new grads are making, yeah their school loans are high, but damn, fresh out of school and making 6 figures. I should have went into dentistry. But you do have to like it, I know I wouldn't want to be in someone's mouth all day. Just throwing it out there.

I guess the thought is, what do you like about certain fields, what don't you like? What kind of lifestyle do you want? Or is it more about the money.

And if PA is pretty hot right now, how will it be by the time you graduate? I have a degree in IT but by the time I graduated, the industry went bust, I was competing for jobs with so many out of work people in IT that almost my entire class (and the ones after me), could barely get help desk jobs. So, something to think about.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:39 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,358,097 times
As everyone looks to trim costs, physician extenders (nurse practitioner, physician assistant) are becoming hot careers. Yes, they require schooling but when you compare training vs. pay, you see the correlation ranging from LPN ("Lowest Paid Nurse" as the joke goes) to board-certified cardiologists.

Extended care will be growing too - modern medicine keeps us all alive much longer than we are able to actually care for ourselves. So healthcare management/administration in that setting will be growing as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or