Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 6,616 times

Advertisements

I have some employees who are contstantly threatening me with action against me and who will not perform jobs as I assign. I am a new manager and I feel like some of the employees are plotting against me. They are outwardly defiant and keep threatening me with legal actions. I have no problems with 25 of the staff but the 5 that are in question are openly hostile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 11:30 AM

732 posts, read 4,156,798 times
Think if you were them. What are you doing to **** them off? Tell them to go join a union or tighten up.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:35 AM

857 posts, read 4,877,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrn66 View Post
I have some employees who are contstantly threatening me with action against me and who will not perform jobs as I assign. I am a new manager and I feel like some of the employees are plotting against me. They are outwardly defiant and keep threatening me with legal actions. I have no problems with 25 of the staff but the 5 that are in question are openly hostile.
When you say that you have employees... are you their employer? If so, can't you fire them?
If you aren't actually their employer but instead are their manager you should check with your boss as to what the company policy is. the worst thing you can do is fire someone only to have someone in the front office bring them back in. That will completely undermine your authority.
If one is worse than the others then fire just one as an example and see if the others don't fall in line.
Good luck.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:28 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I would talk to my supervisor about it first. Then I would start giving written warnings/corrective actions to those who are not doing their job and/or being hostile.

Of course, I am assuming that you/your company aren't doing anything illegal. If the employees threatening legal action have a legitimate complaint, it should be looked into. You don't want to get sued!

Old 01-05-2008, 12:33 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
I think we're not getting the whole story here. Just what is it your asking them to do and why do they object?

Old 01-05-2008, 12:40 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
They could POSSIBLY rebel if you were asking them to go wash your car or vacuum your house.....

Old 01-05-2008, 09:09 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
What are you asking them to do? I would like to hear both sides of the story. I often harrass managers at my work including my own sometimes. Sometimes they don't do their part of the work and it causes me stress and makes me look bad in front of others. When I promise something will be done by a certain date, I expect managers to make sure I have the correct parts to complete the assignment and when they screw me up, I will definitely get in their asses. A lot of managers just want to sit their asses in the office all day and leave early. They don't want to do ther jobs or do much of anything for the customers and the company and to me that is not acceptable.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:05 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
As others have stated, it is tough to discuss constructively if we don't know what they are objecting to do as assignments. It could be that they are jerks and testing you, or it could be that they view the assignments as inappropriate.

Need more information to have a decent discussion.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:05 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Depends upon your location... in most right to work states you can fire someone at any time without explaination. I would simply fire the worst offender for failure to carry out assignments and work my way through the five until the problem went away. If it persists after the five you may have to look a little harder at your practices and environment.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:10 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Depends upon your location... in most right to work states you can fire someone at any time without explaination. I would simply fire the worst offender for failure to carry out assignments and work my way through the five until the problem went away. If it persists after the five you may have to look a little harder at your practices and environment.
Exactly, thats what makes me think he is asking them to do something unreasonable. If they are trouble makers and not doing their job why not just fire them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment