Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 05:23 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
That's not usually an option because vacation days have to be signed off on and approved. So I guess the company you worked for all employees was able to just take vacations without notice? Nice
You work for local government where that's usually the case but many - if not most - private sector employers allow you to take individual days off here and there from your PTO allotment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 05:46 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
Lunch breaks, after work, etc.

I work in NYC and i usually schedule the interviews during my lunch break or after-work. I advise the interviewer of my schedule so we can work something out. I also inquire if business casual is ok. If i have to wear a suit then i will have to call out sick or take a vacation day.

I just complete 3 years at my current job so after i receive my bonus (end of April). I will start looking for a new job. I am hoping for a 10 to 20% increase...

Old 01-03-2015, 05:55 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Lunch breaks, after work, etc.

I work in NYC and i usually schedule the interviews during my lunch break or after-work. I advise the interviewer of my schedule so we can work something out. I also inquire if business casual is ok. If i have to wear a suit then i will have to call out sick or take a vacation day.

I just complete 3 years at my current job so after i receive my bonus (end of April). I will start looking for a new job. I am hoping for a 10 to 20% increase...
People keep mentioning lunch break which would only work if the other company was across street or down the street. The last time I checked a lunch break is an hour and between travel time and interview time how would someone accomplish that during a 60 minute lunch break?

Old 01-03-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
People keep mentioning lunch break which would only work if the other company was across street or down the street. The last time I checked a lunch break is an hour and between travel time and interview time how would someone accomplish that during a 60 minute lunch break?
a round-trip taxi to the interview spot. (that's how i do it and i am from NYC) If you come back late just state that you had to run a personal errand (ie; post office)..

Old 01-03-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
a round-trip taxi to the interview spot. (that's how i do it and i am from NYC) If you come back late just state that you had to run a personal errand (ie; post office)..
Like I said that only works if the company is near your current job .

Old 01-04-2015, 07:52 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Not everything is black and white - at least not to most.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
have you been to NYC? NYC traffic, etc. I work in SoHo and i had interviews in Midtown (39th street). Do you know how much time that eats up??

Old 01-04-2015, 12:37 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Then ask to interview after hours, by phone or by Skype. If they want you, they will bend to your schedule. If not, no big loss.

Quote:
have you been to NYC? NYC traffic, etc. I work in SoHo and i had interviews in Midtown (39th street). Do you know how much time that eats up??
As a Long Islander, I know that is a trek especially on mid day traffic. More power to you if you can do that abd a thirty to a full hour interview during your lunch break. Not everyone has that account of time which is why I suggested that you ask if you can interview after hours, phone or Skype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Not everything is black and white - at least not to most.
Yeah but when you bring that up some people get mad. Trust me, I try to see the other side on grey issues and it has gotten people mad at me.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:54 AM

325 posts, read 486,578 times
Quote:
Mainly because of trying to take off to go to interviews. So let's say a person is looking for a new job and they had to use to sick days to go on two interviews. What happens when you don't get that job and have another interview with another company? Call out sick again?

And it's no guarantee that someone will be able to interview after work hours or before work hours so that's why I never understood why so many say it's easier to get a job when you already have one. Atleast someone who is unemployed has nothing but time to go on as many interviews as possible.

Maybe it's easier to get a INTERVIEW when you have another job but definitely not easier to get another job.

Agree or Disagree?
I do agree with the scheduling thing. I have gotten around it by taking vacation days, but yeah, in a toxic environment it makes it harder to get out.

On the other hand at least you still have gainful employment and can afford to be somewhat picky.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Tolkienish Figure View Post
I do agree with the scheduling thing. I have gotten around it by taking vacation days, but yeah, in a toxic environment it makes it harder to get out.

On the other hand at least you still have gainful employment and can afford to be somewhat picky.
I can only take sick days because my vacation days have to be approved and signed off on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment