Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:15 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times

Advertisements

Personally, I've always been attracted to blue-collar (or no-collar) workers. A man who's good with his hands has it all over a man who has to pay someone else's hands.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:09 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisuli View Post
I graduated with B.S. Degree in Biology. One year after graduation I was in an apprentice program to become a Lineman for the power company. That was 1978, this year I'm going to retire from the same company.

I always told people that the Linework thing was just temporary until I found something in my field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whips View Post
Back in those days it probably was easier to get into trades. College or owning your own business was the thing to do. Fast forward 30 years now B.S. degree is too expensive and trades are hard to get into.
Congrats Raisuli that's a great trade to get into I'm sure you had a great career! Sadly like Mr. Whips said all the union trades are hard to get into now which makes it tough on us younger guys that would like to do those types of jobs. I heard it was a lot different back in the 70's and even 80's. I live in the rust-belt and all the good paying blue collar jobs are about impossible to get into. Even ths post office is cutting back now so that's not even a good career path anymore.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:35 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Generally most blue collar workers are working for the person they are talking about looking down on them. Most blue collar workers would really like what they preceive that white collar workers have devloped for themselves.Most white collar workers frankly careless about this also ;so blue collar workers pretty much have their own image of themselves as be less. I have lived in both worlds and found that blue collar workers even do this to each other more tha white collar workers.I am a step above you and you better recognise it.Less respect for each other really i words and actions.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:24 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,582,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whips View Post
I am a residential refuse collector in chicagoland.Scale guys average 70k last year.I believe people think we make minimal wage or something.What **** me off when i heard a comment made by a woman walking her dog with her child telling him ,that is why you need to go to college so you want end up like that guy.Totally disrespectful,and teaching it to her child.
You can have the last laugh when her son graduates with his philosophy degree and his 100,000 in debt and shows up at a company asking for his 100,000 dollar pay check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment