Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 04:33 PM

94 posts, read 116,617 times

Advertisements

Anyone has any idea the best place to find a nursing job with a year of experience?

Preferably Mental health RN jobs/ Somewhere, where you send a resume and they actually read it?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 07:52 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
Do you have a year on the floor, a year in mental health, or what? What is your level of education? Did you specialize in mental health nursing?

Old 12-30-2014, 08:23 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,304,389 times
Try a nursing home, they hire new graduates, and they gain experience that way.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:06 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,154 times
Use Indeed.com and get on allnurses | Nursing Community for Nurses and Students..
Great guidance there.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:01 PM

Thank you for your responses. I have a BA in Psych and BSN. I've worked for 1.5 years in mental health hospital. Right now I am in NC, but want to move. Just want an easy way to find a job and don't mind to move to any larger cities with good job prospects.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:27 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,788,010 times
Your best shot is in an area with a large healthcare market of course. Places like NY, Boston, Maryland/Virginia, parts of TX, etc.

Why you'de want to work as a mental health nurse is another thing alltogether though...tough gig, God bless!

Old 12-31-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post

Why you'de want to work as a mental health nurse is another thing alltogether though...tough gig, God bless!
Thank you for your response.

Actually, I find Mental Health is easier to work. Less stress. Lots of people assume it's very hard and they are afraid of the patients. Actually, the patients when they are medicated, cause no problems at all.

1. It pays more. People in my unit work overtime and easily make 120 K a year.. It's just charting, really.
2. I like talking to the people
3. It does not involve contact with feces and smells.

On the downside
1. It attracts lazy nurses
2. You really learn very little about real nursing. Most of the nurses I work with, don't even know how to draw blood.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:00 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc1641 View Post
Thank you for your response.

Actually, I find Mental Health is easier to work. Less stress. Lots of people assume it's very hard and they are afraid of the patients. Actually, the patients when they are medicated, cause no problems at all.

1. It pays more. People in my unit work overtime and easily make 120 K a year.. It's just charting, really.
2. I like talking to the people
3. It does not involve contact with feces and smells.

On the downside
1. It attracts lazy nurses
2. You really learn very little about real nursing. Most of the nurses I work with, don't even know how to draw blood.
My hospital (I work in the boiler plant and do maintenance work) use to have a mental ward. Some of the patients do get violent and more than one nurse was treated for broken nose, knocked out teeth, and broken bones. One particularly nasty patient took five of us to hold him down.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
My hospital (I work in the boiler plant and do maintenance work) use to have a mental ward. Some of the patients do get violent and more than one nurse was treated for broken nose, knocked out teeth, and broken bones. One particularly nasty patient took five of us to hold him down.
I can see how it can happen.

so far I've worked for two places. I've never seen this happen yet. I don't generally provoke the patients. I treat them with respect. For the most part, the nurses just chart and give meds through a window. Not a lot of communication with the patients. Besides, we have techs who control patients.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:40 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,687,365 times
Work inpatient you need a year under your belt at least, a in, or prior experience working psych before nursing. Some hospitals encourage work other floors prior to commitment to the behavioral unit. Could look into residential, group homes, or outpatient clinics where a APRN isn't needed. Also can consider assisted living or nursing homes with a heavily populated Alzheimer's or Dementia unit. Last but not least county jail, prison system, and hospice/palliative care units.

Best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment