Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 02:32 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,114,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Op sn't talking about reading meters. He's talking about hopping a locked fence to access a different part of the property to inspect/work on the lines/poles installed on private property (within a utility easement).

This is where things get dicey in places like Texas, particularly in South TX. You couldn't pay me enough to do this on a regular basis - if my employer told me to leave a tag on the gate and just jump the fence, I'd laugh so hard I'd probably bruise a rib.

Not really a thread drift, I think it's totally germane to the OP's concerns. If I was out on my property in Boerne with my daughters playing outdoors and I saw some rando climbing the fence, he'd have a .45 cal 1911 in his face and a former MP K-9 on his ass really quickly.

In thinking about it, my neighbor at the Boerne property has the utility easement on the East side of his property, that's where he usually puts his bull. The hell with the guns he's got, I'd worry more about the 1-ton animal that can do 30MPH.
Guns, attack dogs and vicious bulls in the front yard??? What the....lol.

Texas sounds scary to this San Franciscan ! O_O

Yeah....nope. Nope nope nope. Find another job, OP. Would this company pay your hospital/funeral bills?? I think not!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 03:06 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,694,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Actually, permits are not required for fences anywhere in the country.
Again, any law that requires permits for fences does not reconcile with private property.
Yes they are. Not sure where you got the information from.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:10 PM

322 posts, read 242,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Permits? To build or fix something on your personal property? Never! We built our house, wired it, plumbed it, put in a septic system, had electricity and water turned on, added a utility building, fences, cut trees and installed antennas and have not gotten a permit for anything. They are not required. I even shoot my gun off the back porch and sometimes do other things from there, all without a permit. It's my property. I am my permit.

Now if you freely give up your rights to your personal property I suppose you may have to ask permission from the one you gave it to but I would never do that.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:12 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,940,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Of course they are not. Do you deny that Americans have the right to own private property?

Old 12-31-2014, 03:15 PM

322 posts, read 242,242 times
If you come in my yard the rooster will attack you. He don't like strangers. He sometimes attacks me and I feed him and his girlfriend. Of course I think he is mad at me for eating his children.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:15 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,471,399 times
This thread got annoying quick.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:28 PM

21,429 posts, read 10,512,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Guns, attack dogs and vicious bulls in the front yard??? What the....lol.

Texas sounds scary to this San Franciscan ! O_O

Yeah....nope. Nope nope nope. Find another job, OP. Would this company pay your hospital/funeral bills?? I think not!!
This guy is obviously talking about a ranch in a rural area. You wouldn't find that in the cities...well, not the bull anyway.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:49 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,694,582 times
Where we lived in the state of New Jersey we were required to have a permit to build a fence. It had to be inspected and approved by the township. If your fence didn't meet specifications (no taller than four feet, no fence in your front yard etc) you were fined and required to take your fence down. Some parts of the country it is required.

You also needed permits to add on to the house, finish a basement etc. you pay taxes on the improvements.

Last edited by veuvegirl; 12-31-2014 at 05:13 PM..

Old 12-31-2014, 03:50 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,723,300 times
The whole problem the OP is facing, is he is in the country and does not understand country manners. People in the country no matter if it is rural Texas, rural California, rural Montana, rural Kansas, or wherever in the country you don't trespass on peoples land without permission. Even if you work for a company with an easement across the property. You stop by and let them know you will be going on their property if you have the right, or you ask permission if you don't have a legal right. And country people do have guns, and that is everywhere not just Texas.

To get along, either call the night before, or stop by the farm house before jumping someones fence. That is country manners, and you should learn country manners before jumping someone's fence.

We ranched thousands of acres of cut over timber land when I was young, that adjoined our ranch and was leased from them. We had people jump our fences, kill a steer, cow, bull what ever they saw, butcher it and take out the meat. And this is just one example. Country people get real angry about people doing things like this, and consider that anyone just jumping over their fence without notice is up to no good.

Hunters would shoot off our padlocks on gates, and drive in (gravel roads all over the property), and go hunting. Sometimes they let our cattle out those gates, and we had to round them up. A few were real sorry when they had someone damage their radiators on their cars when discovered and had to walk out to get their vehicle repaired. In those cases, we let them go in to get their cars for a $50 fee.

In the country like the OP is operating in, trespassers have caused such problems in the past that the property owners are leary. Just because you have the right to be on the property, the land owner has the right to keep people off of the property by driving you off with guns, or calling the Sheriff.

In his case, the OP is the one causing the problem. He is not letting the land owner know in advance he will be there, but is just jumping fences and acting like any other trespasser.

We live on a 5 acre country estate, that has an area with easements within our fence for underground utilities. The different utility people always come to our door to let us know they will be working in that 500' by 60' area, entering our drive through gate in our rail fence. The don't just park and jump the fence into our property.

OP...Quit disrespecting the land owners, and learn country manners, and your problems will be over. And this is not just in Texas. It is the same in all rural states. Always let them know you are going to be there after identifying yourself. This will stop the guns being waved at you, when you just jump fences and do not let them know what your will be doing.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:52 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,301,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Of course they are not. Do you deny that Americans have the right to own private property?
Americans have the right to purchase property. If you purchase property and it has electricity on it, there will already be an easement contained within the deed. Here in Texas, you will see any legal easements (utility easements, etc.) clearly marked on the survey that you obtain at the time of purchase (before closing so you can review it) and in the documents sent to you before purchase by the title company that spell out any existing easements.

You generally have a right not to have electricity, but if you DO wish to hook up to the power grid, part of the agreement that you will enter into with the power company will give them an easement to access their property (equipment) for repairs. That's not taking away your right to own property; it's an agreement between two entities for the benefit of both. (If your power goes out because of damage on someone else's property, I'm pretty sure that you'd want the power company to fix it, right?).

You're making an argument based on nothing but emotion about something that does not at all impact your right to own property, and to enter into agreements to do so.

If you inherit the property, and there are no easements already in existence on it (easements convey with the land at purchase), and you don't want the services of the utility company, you won't need to allow any easements on your land. If you wish to purchase property and want land with no easements, simply find a piece for sale that doesn't already have them, purchase it, and do without utilities. Pretty simple - you have a choice!

OP, on our land, there is the pole bringing the power to our house and poles running across the adjoining properties (these are all properties in the 50 acres and up range). There is also a major power grid running across the back of the property (which the animals prefer to graze under, for some reason). There are easements to each. For the major one, there are gates in the fences running a long the side of our property that we may not lock without giving keys to the local electric coop. For the one coming to the house, they do have to go through a gate to our middle pasture, but they are always good about checking if we're home and letting us know not only that they are there but why. They do have to pass the house to get to that gate, which we do not keep locked for our own convenience. Yes, we have guns; no, we're not about to shoot them. Even the neighbor's really really big Angus bull will likely just look at them if they don't do anything stupid, and most of them are country boys and know how to behave so as not to tee off the bull (or, worse, the mama cows!). Nobody around here has any issues with getting the power fixed; we WANT it to be fixed!

As said, your only real worry is likely to be running across an operation that you don't want to know about, meth or some such. But that's not because it's Texas, or because we have guns. Don't let the stereotypes bite you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment