Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 09:35 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Supreme Court ruling favors Amazon on pay for warehouse security checks | Business & Technology | The Seattle Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/10/bu...ings.html?_r=0

This is several weeks old, but still worth a thread I think. The court ruled unanimously that Amazon does not have to pay workers for the time spent waiting in line to be searched before they can exit and go home.

Given the unanimous ruling, the law is doubtless clear on this point, but still it seems insane to me. If you are on company premises, and company dictates your use of time, then you should be paid for that time.

Normally the market would take care of this. Nobody would work for a company that did this; they would walk across the street for a better job. But our labor market in 2015 sucks so bad that Amazon can get away with this.

I would like to see a revision of labor law by the new Congress to rectify this. If Amazon wants people to wait in line 25 minutes to be searched, Amazon can pay them for the time.
Laws need to be draw up at the state level to address this. This wouldn't fly in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 03:36 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
This shouldn't be an issue for legislative action. Their union negotiators should deal with it at contract time. Oh, wait...

Old 01-02-2015, 06:37 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
My friend works for UPS who does the same thign searches you going in and out and lines can get long. They are paid for the time they spend waiting

Old 01-02-2015, 06:56 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
My friend works for UPS who does the same thign searches you going in and out and lines can get long. They are paid for the time they spend waiting
As they should be. If being searched upon leaving is part of the job, then the employee should be paid.

This Supreme Court is really something else.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:56 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
So when my employee shuttle takes 10-20 minutes to pull up to my stop I should be getting paid?!!
That would certainly cut down on the complaints that the Shuttle company gets!!

Old 01-02-2015, 08:24 AM

147 posts, read 230,157 times
Our Greatest Generation forefathers (I am a 3rd generation union worker) suffered, fought and some died defending the rights of the American Workers. They argued the point about getting bathroom, lunch and coffee breaks, overtime after 8 hrs, safety equipment, safety rules, grievance procedures....and then the American workers had to go through the bad economy and job crushing administrations and then it was just that we are happy when we even get a job that I now hear of this with Amazon and other types of employer oppression such as my niece telling me that her weekly employee meetings are unpaid and if they are on their day off they still must attend on their own time. And a lot of other loss of employee rights. holding back hours so they don't have to pay health insurance or a lunch break etc. The American worker loses rights every single day, it is time to start refusing or arguing with the employers to try to get back lost rights. But people won't...until they are back to the times of 12 hour days, no benefits, having to work 3 jobs just to pay babysitters, health insurance and put food on the table, it is no wonder there are so many people who just give up and take public handouts anymore, they can't fight the good fight.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:31 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
we have a guy that always eats his sandwich at 11:30 or 1:00, he really believe if he is working at 12:00-12:30, he should get paid for working during lunch, that 2 1/2 hours overtime for shoving down a sandwich before 12 noon

Old 01-02-2015, 04:34 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
As they should be. If being searched upon leaving is part of the job, then the employee should be paid.

This Supreme Court is really something else.
Again the ruling was 9-0, from the most liberal to the most conservative justices agreeing. The problem is not the Supreme Court, but the legislation, specifically the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) of 1938. The law could probably use an update, but as another poster said, don't hold your breath.

The other option would be for these Amazon workers to unionize, and then the issue could be addressed in contract negotiations. A poster noted that UPS workers are paid for their time spent waiting to be searched--UPS is union (Teamsters, if I'm not mistaken). I am a conservative Reagan Republican, and I am persuaded that unionization is the way to go in a case like this. Ronald Reagan was too, after all he served as president of a union.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:48 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
So when my employee shuttle takes 10-20 minutes to pull up to my stop I should be getting paid?!!
That would certainly cut down on the complaints that the Shuttle company gets!!
I don't think this is comparable. It is reasonable that getting to and from the job is the employee's responsibility, otherwise an employee who chooses to live 100 miles from work would have to be compensated for his 100 mile commute.

This is time that every employee must spend, whether they choose to live across the street or 100 miles away. The employee has no say or choice in how this time is spent, and therefore should be compensated for their time.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:18 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Supreme Court ruling favors Amazon on pay for warehouse security checks | Business & Technology | The Seattle Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/10/bu...ings.html?_r=0

This is several weeks old, but still worth a thread I think. The court ruled unanimously that Amazon does not have to pay workers for the time spent waiting in line to be searched before they can exit and go home.

Given the unanimous ruling, the law is doubtless clear on this point, but still it seems insane to me. If you are on company premises, and company dictates your use of time, then you should be paid for that time.

Normally the market would take care of this. Nobody would work for a company that did this; they would walk across the street for a better job. But our labor market in 2015 sucks so bad that Amazon can get away with this.

I would like to see a revision of labor law by the new Congress to rectify this. If Amazon wants people to wait in line 25 minutes to be searched, Amazon can pay them for the time.
I agree with you. Unfortunately there was no minority opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment