Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 03:41 PM

293 posts, read 317,004 times

Advertisements

One complaint I often hear is how working for the government is soul crushing and bureaucratic. I have however noticed that many corporations, based on interviews and research, have insane levels of bureaucracies as well, maybe even greater in some cases.

Why is the government stigmatized as so bureaucratic when our privatized system has the same issue and problems, especially in large scale business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 04:27 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Because people constantly just talk out of their *sses. "Soul-crushing"??

I have worked for both. Yes, they both have bureaucracies to wade through. Working for gov't can actually be freeing, though, because the rules make knowing your limits easy.

I liked working with city governments much better than larger municipalities. Govt takes longer because certain things, like advertising for bids, has to be done with "adequate public notice" or approved by a vote of elected officials. Having your emails subject to Open Records laws makes you pay attention.

But any job can be soul-crushing if it's difficult to sustain on a daily basis.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:01 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
would you rather be crushed with a pension or crushed without one? biggest difference to me, maybe not the most important of the differences, just the one I care about

Old 01-02-2015, 06:37 PM

393 posts, read 345,346 times
I've worked for corporations in the past, and hated all of them. I guess it depends on the kind of person you are and what you prefer. Personally, I prefer to work alone. The less people I have to deal with, the better. I find that there's far more jobs in government than corporations that offer this. But I haven't worked for the government, although I plan to. Maybe something in the U.S. Forest Service, where nobody will bother me and I can be someplace I love. But if you like people and enjoy constant social interaction, then you may like working for corporations instead.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:05 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Most negative comments are due to ignorance and misinformation.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:33 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
The main difference I see especially in my profession is corporations are very very innovative at finding loopholes and new ways to bleep over their workers. I would prefer govt by far over a corporation. I only worked for one large corporation in my career and I hope it is the last. I interviewed at others and it seemed more or less the same. I currently work for a smaller company.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
The best of both world's is the quasi-government job, in other words, those that do not depend on tax money for their revenue. I have been at two in different states, and find that the security is better than city/state/county and the great benefits are there, but with a much more business-like operation and very little of the "civil service dead wood". Examples are utility districts, airports, port authorities, and housing authorities. The difference is that they are there to make money. Not necessarily profit, but with a goal of more revenue than expense to re-invest into their infrastructure. All are likely to get some tax minimal revenue but most comes from rates and charges.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:06 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
It depends. People try to attach politics with government and that does not always work.

Having said that elections in some offices can make jobs temporary and sometimes endless boards might block things. Back in the day one could argue companies stream lined operations but these days they can't be as fast. There's just too many eyes to find mistakes these days.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:14 PM

293 posts, read 317,004 times
Quality replies guys. I interviewed twice for a corporation in my area. The salaries they offer are attractive, but one time a person who interviewed me seemed to be annoyed at how optimistic I looked and eluded to the fact my job would be boring and that I would have it there. She seemed to hate it too.

I however haven't worked for a government agency yet, but I aspire to work for the fed once I get my masters. It depends on your work field, but the federal government does offer some attractive opportunities, despite the bureaucracy.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:18 PM

212 posts, read 689,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
would you rather be crushed with a pension or crushed without one? Biggest difference to me, maybe not the most important of the differences, just the one i care about
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment