Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 04:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

I have done it twice, first with 5 promotions over 17 years at one company, then more recently 3 promotions over 5 years at this one.

Because moving up most often means management, success includes both working hard and talent. By working hard, I don't mean free overtime, long hours, I mean actually working while you are there, and going beyond the normal duties to help the company by assisting others, volunteering for special projects, and continuing to develop yourself by attending workshops and seminars. When it comes to the talent, it includes both technical talent for performing the duties, but also being able to manage people. A good employee may not make a good manager. Those that fail as leaders do not have the ability to crate a performance plan and execute it for a weak employee, or are unable to document and fire them when that plan doesn't result in the required improvement. To continue moving up one has to be able to see the "big picture" and analyze the organization, processes and structure to best perform in a changing world. Being a great supervisor of a work group does not mean a person would be good manager, nor does a good manager always make a good director. Maintaining good communication with your peers or higher level people in other departments helps, and gain, this can be improved by participating in special projects that involve various departments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 04:50 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
When I put the extra work, time, along with knowledge in and didn't play politics? , I was just taken advantage of and didn't move anywhere. WHen I finally moved to another part of the country and realized that the backside kissing, becoming friends with your boss, putting on a personality "front" at work (pretty much developing sociopathic personalities) mattered more THAT was when I moved up the chain.

Nice guys finish last in the corporate world. sad but true. There are exceptions of course but they are few and far between. Your Perceived personality, likeabiliy and political ability is FARRRR more important than your damn resume or ability.. In fact, that is nothing but a turnoff to employers because the people that do the hiring, are intimidated and afraid of someone with that resume and ability. You're better off and safer being a dang gofer boy to your boss.

Talent??? Hardwork? Those are evil terms to those higher ups. They don't want that around.. They want compliant, submissive SLAVES that will roll over, beg, when they are told to and make their work easier and make THEM the focal point of their higher ups.

THey don't want some hard working employee of high moral fiber that will outshine them.. Please. Doing that.. you as well put a sign on your back that says, "Lay me off"

Last edited by DorianRo; 01-03-2015 at 05:05 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 06:33 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
There is at least one more element involved besides hard work and talent..........it is being liked by those above you. I see some on here referring to that trait as butt kissing, but I prefer to think of it as being liked and respected by your superiors.

There is also a certain degree of gamesmanship involved. You have to figure out what the goals and mindset of the corporate leaders are and then make sure you demonstrate that you are in tune with them and are working to further those goals.

Very few people get ahead by being seen as a rebel in the corporation, promotions come to those who "fit" into that particular company and position. Watch a good Politician at work sometime. They always put a positive spin on any situation, rather than dwelling on the negatives. Corporate ladder climbers have that same skillset.

If you don't like to play the game that way, then you need to start your own company where you can set the rules.

Don

Old 01-03-2015, 08:54 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Without question. That and the ability to hire and retain talent.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:53 PM

286 posts, read 851,290 times
It is more than hard work and talent. Not one or the other. I work my arse off at a smaller company but I make a quarter of what my friend makes. If all you do is work hard, you just be stepped on and get no where as in my case.

My friend has talent and works hard, but he doesn't work overtime since he knows how to be productive and can delegate work to his underlings. He knows how to plan and strategize which is why he is in a high paying job. They don't put hard working drones in his position, they put workers who plan and are proactive. He doesn't sit there and works when told, he makes decisions that makes money for his company. Of course it helps to know how to work with others and not be anti-social.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:07 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
You have to get management to like you on a personal level. The people I have seen move up the fastest are the ones who act like they are the boss's friend. Competence is 25% of the game and schmoozing/fitting in/kissing up is the other 75%.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:44 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Fortune favors the bold. Those who are successful will take calculated risks that seem to be to their advantage. I can't tell you how many people I know who will simply put their heads in the sand, then go nowhere.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:39 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
Some of you guys must have some terrible personalities if you have to brown nose/schmooze/butt kiss just to get the people above you, to like you. I've never had a problem with that and I just be myself, and i'm not afraid to ruffle feathers at work either. I'm also not big on the "small talk" portion of things either.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:44 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Some of you guys must have some terrible personalities if you have to brown nose/schmooze/butt kiss just to get the people above you, to like you. I've never had a problem with that and I just be myself, and i'm not afraid to ruffle feathers at work either. I'm also not big on the "small talk" portion of things either.

You must work in a great environment then where hard work and meritocracy reigns. . Most people don't.. Most people work in a shark tank work environment where "hard work" and "talent" come last

Old 01-05-2015, 01:23 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
There is at least one more element involved besides hard work and talent..........it is being liked by those above you. I see some on here referring to that trait as butt kissing, but I prefer to think of it as being liked and respected by your superiors.

There is also a certain degree of gamesmanship involved. You have to figure out what the goals and mindset of the corporate leaders are and then make sure you demonstrate that you are in tune with them and are working to further those goals.

Very few people get ahead by being seen as a rebel in the corporation, promotions come to those who "fit" into that particular company and position. Watch a good Politician at work sometime. They always put a positive spin on any situation, rather than dwelling on the negatives. Corporate ladder climbers have that same skillset.

If you don't like to play the game that way, then you need to start your own company where you can set the rules.

Don

I couldn't agree more. It's not butt kissing - most of us get rid of people like that, because if you're blowing smoke and kissing my behind, you're a phony trying to hide something. That may have worked when I was first made a manager in my mid-twenties, but I quickly came to see through it.

It's being a likeable person. You can disagree without being disagreeable. You pick your arguments and don't fight over every little thing. You don't feel slighted just because something didn't go your way. You stay above the fray when others are gossiping. You nurture and develop your team so they want to be there and do a good job. You don't view anyone above your level as the enemy. And you are tolerant of people who do not look like you, sound like you, or dress like you.

People who lack any of the above never seem to look within to see what they may be doing that may be hindering them. They feel they're already perfect, so they just claim it's the suck ups who get ahead - the corporate slaves.

I'm not promoting you because you're not a butt kisser. I'm not promoting you because you're an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment