Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 07:16 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times

Advertisements

We are supposed to be thankful that the air is free to breath

We get...

Net zero vacation, 10 days which equals the number of Saturdays we must work per year
- weeklong vacations do not included the weekend on either side

only 30 minute lunch

No 401 K

The chair at my desk was missing a wheel ( you could easily flip over) and doesn't raise up or down

Unless you're in management your annual raises end when you make a whopping $39k per year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 07:28 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

The chair at my desk was missing a wheel ( you could easily flip over) and doesn't raise up or down
Wow... What state are you in that the labor department didn't take your complaint seriously?

Old 01-08-2015, 09:02 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A lot of companies have great perks. I'm curious to know what you company offers that is either important to you (even something as simple as green car parking), or just unique (like discount on clothing).

While my company has a few weird perks that sound cool, the most important to me is a pretty mundane one. It's free food. We can eat in our gourmet cafeteria for free. We can get free take-home. And best of all, it's available 24/7 (some people stop by to pick up dinner).
Besides first class flights anywhere on the planet, company paid, FREE gourmet food is awesome!!!

Old 01-08-2015, 09:15 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
$1,000 cash each christmas to be used on yourself at the local mall. You have 3 hours to buy, and it must be for yourself (not spouses or anyone else). Boss checks the receipts too.

We also get to bring out dogs to the office and we get great mid year bonuses and unbelievably great end of year bonuses.

I really need to find a new job. Good for you, but it just reiterates how pathetic my employer is.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:23 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
We are a publicly owned company with a pension, I'd say that is our best benefit.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:04 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Hmm....

Free coffee (Seattle's best..... it actually tastes like crap but it isn't Folgers)
Catered lunch sometimes
Flexible work schedule (to include working from home when needed)
We can leave whenever we need to for appointments as long as we get our hours in and don't miss important meetings or deadlines
A 9/80 schedule with every other Friday off
An extra bucket of time to give us paid time off from 12/23 until after New Years that doesn't touch our normal PTO
Free goodies (coffee mugs, etc...)

Old 01-08-2015, 10:33 AM

248 posts, read 259,001 times
Free Coffee, 9/80 schedule, pretty flexible hours as long as we get 40 a week. Also get 3 weeks PTO/year and it's only my first year working here, it goes up every year. Nothing too fancy though.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:41 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smisk View Post
Free Coffee, 9/80 schedule, pretty flexible hours as long as we get 40 a week. Also get 3 weeks PTO/year and it's only my first year working here, it goes up every year. Nothing too fancy though.

It sounds like we may work for the same company.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:25 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,240 times
The biggest thing would be the generous leave time-- between annual leave, sick days, PTO, and floating holidays, we get something like 5 weeks. Then we're also closed on the usual holidays (Christmas Eve-New Years).

Also, my employer pays a set percentage into my 403(b) whether or not I contribute-- no matching.

We also get to work from home once or twice a week, and generally don't have issues with taking time off. If we can't get to work in inclement weather, we can just work from home. While we technically have the option of 4/10 workweeks and things like that, nobody in my department does that, so I don't know if it's because the managers don't approve such requests.

I don't have an electric car, but we also have electric charging stations for cars.

Software discounts and tuition remission at any state university too.

Free on-site gym.

So, yeah, the pay is what it is, but the benefits are why a lot of people stay.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:09 PM

360 posts, read 665,316 times
100% paid Medical insurance for yourself, spouse, and children. Anything the insurance company does not pay, the company's HRA pays. You can almost say there is no limit. We only pay for prescriptions or dental procedures outside the norm. I had a baby last year and paid for nothing. It's a great benefit that will be super hard to leave behind!

Last edited by key2thecity; 01-08-2015 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment