Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 12:15 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,196,719 times

Advertisements

Thanks to the incompetence of the American voter the republicans will be taking control of congress shortly and the federal government will be given to the corporate criminals on a silver platter. They are going to try to repeal all anti corporate laws and regulations including the clean air and clean water acts. Before I am told I am wrong the Republicans have repeatedly given interviews stating this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 12:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,269 posts, read 80,499,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
Because the big corperations have pulled the largest trick in human history. Convince the general public Unions are bad.

United we stand, alone we fall.

You wan't raises that go up with inflation, come join my union.

You want, an honest, living wage, come join my union.

But nooooo ! everyone is convinced those greedy unions are bankrupting companys.

Our company is Union, makes over $1,000,000 profit each year. Wages are $52,000 - $110,000 with optional overtime.

Raises were 5% a year when things were good, and 1-2% when there was a major recession.
I don't know how convincing "the general public Unions are bad" makes any difference, the general public is not responsible for setting wages, import tariffs, or determining whether workers join unions or not. In my family several are union members and wish they could opt out, because they not getting the raises and benefits and in fact have lost benefits. Meanwhile they see their dues going to pay for political campaigns.

We are not union, and our salaries are up to 3 times yours without overtime, and we get an annual pay increase based on performance that keeps up with inflation for those that get a good rating. There may still be some industries where unions are helping, but for the most part labor laws have prevented most of the abuses that caused unions to start in the first place. Now they are simply creating an artificial minimum wage that drives up company labor costs and encourages outsourcing and automation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxLpsSkEtuY

Old 01-05-2015, 01:50 PM

772 posts, read 909,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't know how convincing "the general public Unions are bad" makes any difference, the general public is not responsible for setting wages, import tariffs, or determining whether workers join unions or not. In my family several are union members and wish they could opt out, because they not getting the raises and benefits and in fact have lost benefits. Meanwhile they see their dues going to pay for political campaigns.

We are not union, and our salaries are up to 3 times yours without overtime, and we get an annual pay increase based on performance that keeps up with inflation for those that get a good rating. There may still be some industries where unions are helping, but for the most part labor laws have prevented most of the abuses that caused unions to start in the first place. Now they are simply creating an artificial minimum wage that drives up company labor costs and encourages outsourcing and automation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxLpsSkEtuY
In my family several are union members and wish they could opt out - They can, it's called quit the job, and go find a "better" non union job. My union dues each month are 2.5 X my hourly wage.

We are not union, and our salaries are up to 3 times yours without overtime - That must be awsome, and I mean Awsome! to make $300,000 a year on a 40 hour work week. Congratulations to you.

I guess I don't understand. I was simply stating that my Union and company I work for give me a nice livable wage. $50-100 k / year .

Then I hear the argument that the unions are too greedy forcing the auto industry into automated assembly lines via your youtube serfing. Then all the jobs pay more , up to 3 times more anyway without the unions .. I'm just lost.

Which is it, the unions are too greedy , or all non union jobs pay 3X more ?

Old 01-05-2015, 02:58 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,707,286 times
Quote:
It's corrupt because if you give your application to an employee instead of the decision maker they will throw it out instead of passing it on. That's why. Of course, it's always wise to question WHY a company would want someone like this working for them and opening them up to potential lawsuits by throwing applications out. You might not see anything wrong with it, but put yourself in the shoes of the person applying.
The hiring process is set up for you to give the application to the HR department. They then will evaluate to see if your education, and background meet the companies needs. If it does not, it will not be given to the decision maker. The decision makers time is too valuable, to waste their time on applications when they know that 10% of the applications will meet the criteria they have set up to evaluate the applicants. They have too many other duties that require their time, not sorting out maybe hundreds of applications to find one that is suitable. Just because you think you would be suitable for a job that sounds interesting, does not mean you are. I have hired hundreds of people in my corporate life, and I can tell you that the majority of the applications we received were rejected within 30 to 60 seconds. The applicant just did not meet our requirements, and there would be some that were exactly what we wanted/needed. Those were the ones that went to me as the HM. I did not have time to waste on the others. The HM does not have time to waste talking to all people that may apply. Sometimes you will get from 100 to 1,000 applications, and 10 to 30 may be perfect matches. I did not have time to talk to 1,000 people even for a few minutes.

Quote:
It sounds like you're applying to retail outlets? Fill out the application, ask for the manager, ask the manager what he foresees his hiring schedule to be over the next month, and hand him your resume. Is it really that hard?
Again the manager has a lot more duties, than to talk to every potential applicant that walks in the door. That is why they have people for you to apply to that will sort the wheat from the chaff. If the person applying is really suitable, then you will be in contact with them. You don't have time to spend with everyone that applies especially in an area of the country where people are looking for a job every few minutes.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:02 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,511,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The hiring process is set up for you to give the application to the HR department. They then will evaluate to see if your education, and background meet the companies needs. If it does not, it will not be given to the decision maker. The decision makers time is too valuable, to waste their time on applications when they know that 10% of the applications will meet the criteria they have set up to evaluate the applicants. They have too many other duties that require their time, not sorting out maybe hundreds of applications to find one that is suitable. Just because you think you would be suitable for a job that sounds interesting, does not mean you are. I have hired hundreds of people in my corporate life, and I can tell you that the majority of the applications we received were rejected within 30 to 60 seconds. The applicant just did not meet our requirements, and there would be some that were exactly what we wanted/needed. Those were the ones that went to me as the HM. I did not have time to waste on the others. The HM does not have time to waste talking to all people that may apply. Sometimes you will get from 100 to 1,000 applications, and 10 to 30 may be perfect matches. I did not have time to talk to 1,000 people even for a few minutes.

Again the manager has a lot more duties, than to talk to every potential applicant that walks in the door. That is why they have people for you to apply to that will sort the wheat from the chaff. If the person applying is really suitable, then you will be in contact with them. You don't have time to spend with everyone that applies especially in an area of the country where people are looking for a job every few minutes.
Boy, did you miss the point of my post.

And retail stores don't have HR departments other than at the corporate level.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:17 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,764,862 times
"Outsourcing means a more efficient workforce. The United States has always strived on efficiency and it's what(one of many reasons) made our economy such a superpower in the world. Outsourcing creates individuals that are well trained and skilled (typically in one or a few things).... as opposed to individuals that are unemployable. In the long run, outsourcing will continue to keep our economy as efficient as possible."

Outsourcing doesn't always mean more efficient though. If there are no contract laws then ramficiations would ruin it. Anyone can send labor overseas to lower labor as that is minimizing the most controllable cost. But it also maximizes the uncontrollable costs. Unless you really have some firm connections in another country in terms of their regulations, laws and culture you can get burned fast. Not everything works around the world. A steakhouse is going to be a harder sell in India, St. Louis ribs probably won't sell in the Middle East and box stores don't work in China (for the most part).

"And retail stores don't have HR departments other than at the corporate level."

Actually that isn't true but it is starting to get that way. Where I was had hr on the store level. HR has been debated to be dissolved for years now. We're talking 50k a pop at probably 1700 stores adds up. keep in mind per policy stores cannot do anything against those that threaten legal action as it has to be from corporate. Most of the competitors do not have hr on the store level. It is mostly regional/district level. For the most part I didn't really see anything to warrant hr on the store level. Infact, there was a software portal invented that removed the vast majority of reasons to have a store level hr. It tells your sick time remaining, vacation time, 401k status. Unless it is a actual claim the majority of what hr does in a department can be automated out.

Last edited by mdovell; 01-05-2015 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: adding more

Old 01-05-2015, 03:28 PM

In my younger days, I managed some pretty good sized stores. And an office girl, always handled the HR duties. She would be the one you turned in applications to, not me. When someone applied for a job, they would be sent to the office for an application if we were hiring. The office girl would give the application to you, and would take it from you. If the perfect applicant gave her an application I would be called to see if I could talk to you. If not, then you would be put into the stack of applicants. If there were no perfect applicants, then the stack of applicants would be sorted to find the next best ones. And from that appointments would be made, and someone hired.

Yes, every retail store of any size, has HR duties to be taken care of. The person that handles them, will have other duties also, but there is everything from timesheets to schedules to handle. Arranging vacation time, etc., to managing any benefits that may be offered. The things the manager does not have time to worry about.

Again, your statement shows you really are not a highly qualified Retail Employee, that would have gotten you set up immediately to talk to the manager.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:37 PM

So many of you are talking about outsourcing taking all of our jobs from this country. How about the insourcing of jobs from other countries.

Example: Auto industry alone has 10 foreign owned companies with auto manufacturing plants in the U.S., and foreigners own Chrysler now, so there are only 2 real American owned auto companies in the U.S. Those foreign owned companies build more cars than the American companies do. And that is the tip of the iceberg, with many companies owning U.S. based facilities, hiring huge numbers of Americans right here in this country. And those foreign owned companies largely pay higher wages than American owned companies.

Over the next 10 years, it is expected that as many as 10 million jobs will be created in the U.S. due to insourcing (foreign companies opening facilities in the U.S.).

Old 01-05-2015, 03:52 PM

405 posts, read 570,420 times
As someone else stated it all comes down to supply and demand. Those who are in demand usually don't have an issue finding a job or the salary they need. All of my friends choose careers in demand, are young and do very well for themselves. If you are not finding a job it's because you're either not in demand or the employer feels they can get someone else cheaper. You have to make employers want you, what can you do for your employer that the guy that will take 20k less won't do? You have to outshine everyone else and show value in whatever way you can. On other hand, the employer will hire the other guy for 20k less only to have him leave in 4 months for more money, employers need to find the right balance. If you don't pay top talent they will just leave anyway. There are companies that will and do pay for top talent, you just have to find them.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:06 PM

The young people with the right degrees, are not having trouble finding jobs at top income levels. They are in demand.

On the other hand an awful lot of young people have worthless degrees, with few openings, and very low wages. Lets look at a list of 128 major degrees, and how much money you can expect to earn for each degree. The reason the wages are so low for many, is there are many times more graduates than jobs, and the lower the income the harder it will be to find a job.

Majors That Pay You Back

Starting wages for those that wisely chose their degree are around $100,000 . Those that chose wrong, can expect to earn around $30,000. Not only are the wages low, but maybe 100 people trying to get that one job.

If a lot of young people had researched the job market for potential demand for the job, and for the wages, they would not be crying today as they would gone after another degree if they had any sense, and they would not be sitting around crying about the lack of jobs today.

If you are one of those with nearly worthless degrees, quit sitting around crying you can't find a job in your field, and if you do they don't pay the $50K to $ 100K you feel you are worth. You brought it on yourself, when you chose the degree you did. Don't complain some of the kids you went to high school with that did not go to college, have better jobs and are earning more money than any you are offered. Realize, you are not being lowballed, you are being offered the salary that the job is worth in your job market and feel lucky you can even get a job in your field. This same problem has been with us for decades, not just today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment