Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 08:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,534 posts, read 81,025,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
When I visited Hays, Kansas in 2012, I toured the Water & Sewage Plants. A coworker asked to see the water & wastewater treatment facilities during a ship cruise, but was refused due to security concerns. One of my bosses says this is typical for our occupation, but that we (water & wastewater employees) are the only ones to do it.
I wouldn't say I have gone as far as to take a formal tour, but I do make a point of visiting by at least a drive-by of a similar enterprise when in another area. I'm in commercial and industrial real estate but also utilities. Most recently we looked at one while in Maui, and I suppose in the back of my mind it was to see if they were big enough that they might have an opening soon.

My wife teaches classes at a quilt shop as her 2nd job, and cannot pass another quilt shop without stopping. Her first job is at a school, and she has never asked to stop and visit another one while on vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 08:59 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,785,038 times
Not usually. I would like to do it more often if I could but I'm usually with my family while on vacation. My wife definitely would not.

A handful of times when we were planning vacations, I contacted a place and offered to present there on a topic I know something about. I usually have a connection or two within that specific organization. If the moons line up (they have a room big enough to accomodate, there is enough interest, there is enough notice, etc.), I get a yes. I can then write off the vacation. Once, the organization that I presented at (a place I used to work) covered the cost of our room for a night and a couple of meals. I also get to make more professional connections. Speaking in a specific organization is much more personalized than at a conference. I've only done it twice but enjoyed it both times.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:11 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,018,550 times
I know two people who do it.

Me -- HELL NO. I don't want to be at work when I'm AT work. I sure as heck am not going anywhere NEAR anything work related while on vacation. I don't even THINK about it. I hate going BACK to work.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:07 PM

906 posts, read 711,700 times
haha, i don't even like to visit work when i'm on the clock!

Old 01-05-2015, 05:49 PM

4,138 posts, read 3,038,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I sure don't! I'm an RN. If I was to visit my occupation while I was on vacation, it would mean that someone was sick or injured.
I actually visited the local hospital twice for non-medical reasons. The first time was for pharmacology class, where we were required to interview a pharmacologist. The second time was to investigate a water complaint (work related).

I will not be collecting water samples at any schools or hospitals anytime soon. With the flu epidemic, they are houses of plague.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:27 PM

832 posts, read 1,416,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
When I visited Hays, Kansas in 2012, I toured the Water & Sewage Plants. A coworker asked to see the water & wastewater treatment facilities during a ship cruise, but was refused due to security concerns. One of my bosses says this is typical for our occupation, but that we (water & wastewater employees) are the only ones to do it.
I've made trips on my own time to other states to see their operations. I combined it with vacation. I also have family members who go to the museums opened in their field of work. My ex-spouse used to eyeball all sort of things with his engineering mind and I had to listen to his enthusiastic explanations for how things work on vacation, at home and on dates.

So no. I don't think you're the only ones.

If my career was water treatment in town ops, I'd be interested to see water treatment facilities in a boat, in a large multi-unit dwelling, at the CIA, in Africa or anywhere else that does it differently. It all might help you with your own sector and give you great ideas.

I suspect that all people who actually do enjoy their work (openly or begrudgingly) probably do it, even if they don't want to admit it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment