Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 06:53 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times

Advertisements

Where you have a strength and interest. We need STEM majors but we need QUALITY majors. If you aren't good at science and/or math, forget STEM (maybe computer science or CIS but that's it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 07:21 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
A degree in Speech Therapy and/or Special Education.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:12 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Write down and remember everyone you. Classwork, working, internships, alumni groups, reunions etc.

Not sure if I'd nail down a specific degree but try to find things that have more then one application. Avoid anything that can get to be too political/religious.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:24 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,216 times
Get an Ivy League humanities degree. Suck the lifeblood out of the economy on Wall Street, or get a job in policymaking so you can cackle on live TV about killing heads of state.

Barring that, given my partiality to the social sciences (despite how poorly they've served me) and my aversion to the STEM-mania conventional wisdom, I'd recommend economics with a heavy dose of statistics. That's just me though.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:03 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
To pursue something you ENJOY. No amount of money can make you happy if you are stuck in a field for 50 years doing something you absolute despise, or are bored of probably because there had been some direct or indirect pressure by mommy or daddy, friends or relatives.

You couldn't pay me any amount of money to sit at a desk doing CAD or architecture all day for half a century Ughhh

Old 01-07-2015, 09:35 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Same as in 1970.
Generic engineering.
Get job as coder.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:02 PM

820 posts, read 1,209,220 times
Go for the trades you make a solid 50k and it doesn't take four years to reach that. Putting everyone into college creates the situation we currently have. People laugh at being a plumber but at-least hes making 25$/hr while you sit at home with your parents and worthless degree.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:20 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
I second a skilled trade. People will pay mega bucks to get their toilet working again, or to get the heater working when it breaks in the middle of the winter. If not that, definitely something medical like a dentist. People will pay out mega bucks to stop that tooth from giving them horrible pain.

The best thing about medicine or skilled trades is that you can work in these fields practically anywhere, small towns, big cities, anywhere there are people. There are some fields where the jobs are only in very select (and often very high COL) areas.

You don't necessarily have to be interested or even like the field you choose. You must choose something that has plenty of job openings and provides a high income. Too many people make the mistake of going for their "passion area" only to find themselves unemployed or underemployed. The work must have a high income.

Last edited by s1alker; 01-07-2015 at 10:29 PM..

Old 01-08-2015, 12:02 AM
g89

126 posts, read 179,713 times
great thread

Old 01-08-2015, 01:48 AM

14 posts, read 13,115 times
Default Please write your post using correct grammar. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
If I gave advice for a college student Ill probably tell them to go either into majoring in Information Technology or be a Teacher. These careers give you a lot of choices and they arn't hard but not easy either.
Major in Education or
Computer Information System

What I notice as people get older they start a family move out, and get burnout their career totally change paths. They either want better pay or more time off feel a lack of challenge.

Teacher is known for its summers off or unless you wanna teach summers for extra money ( well depending where you teach), stability once your tenure, reasonable pay ( well you wont be rich but you wont starve either), and most importantly the adaptation and social interaction with kids, i see there are many challenges when dealing with kids such as them being rude and so but it can also be fun but it all depends on the person too obliviously you must work hard to teach kids it not as easy as it seem but the hard work can pay off. Choose a subject and master in it preferably an in demand subject maybe biology or computer high school or middle school teacher. If you get your masters you can increase your pay too which from what i seen most schools pay for once you been in the district for a bit. Probably the most family oriented career it can get you cant have a better family friendly career than teaching. Not even IT comes close. But first things first you have to like dealing with kids.

Computer Techs
Well we live in a digital age and computers are everywhere im talkin about information technology not computer science.
So if you like networks , security, or even Computer technician jobs its a good career.
Many places you can work for like Schools, hospitals, IT Service provides, Government, Universities, Corporate. There are so many options.
Lot of jobs in this field.
Good for the money and it all depends where you will work. Also good if your patient like customers, and like to be a problem solver.
I know a lot of people who have a hard time finding a teaching job. Also, many teachers got laid off before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment