Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 03:26 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,571,500 times

Advertisements

HOUSTON—Justin Friend’s parents have doctoral degrees and have worked as university lecturers and researchers. So Mr. Friend might have been expected to head for a university after graduating from high school in Bryan, Texas, five years ago.

Instead, he attended Texas State Technical College in Waco, and received a two-year degree in welding. In 2013, his first full year as a welder, his income was about $130,000, more than triple the average annual wages for welders in the U.S. In 2014, Mr. Friend’s income rose to about $140,000.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/140-00...193900082.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 03:31 PM

405 posts, read 572,828 times
I read this too. I feel stupid.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:34 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,308,989 times
"That has allowed the 24-year-old to buy a $53,000 Ford F-250 pickup truck"

One thing i don't understand is why these guys buy such expensive vehicles. Can they write them off?

I grew up on the eastern side of ND on the MN border and about six guys I went to high school with work in Williston including one of my cousins and another who was a pretty good friend. They all have $50K+ trucks, so it seems like they are substituting student loan payments for car payments. The guys I know do not need trucks at all, as their job is usually driving other trucks. Maybe a welder needs a truck, though.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:54 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,758,913 times
He is making 25 dollars an hour. If you read the article he is making the big bucks because he is working 72 hours per week.

In my area I see welding jobs pay roughly 15 dollars per hour although they are factory jobs. Mr. Friend (the subject of the article) is in Texas and it appears he works in the oil industry. He may be making 25 dollars an hour currently but with the drop in oil prices it may be a different story this year.

How long can he keep working an extra 32 hours per week? At some point one of three things will happen. 1) He gets burnt out on the work and reduces his overtime. Seriously? Weld for 72 hours a week? 2) His employer decides to hire more welders to reduce overtime costs. 3) The price of oil goes to 40 dollars and production is cut which might result in his losing his job.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:03 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Not the most balanced views, coming from somebody that got out -- Welcome to World Wide Welding « Belch.Com
Quote:
Most welding stories involve mutilation, death, and unsurprisingly, heat. ... I have had many a hot spark set me ablaze, and being in the dark and unaware of your surroundings, you could be on fire for several moments until you smell the smoke. After the smoke comes the unmistakable sensation of heat spreading up your body, and flames actually “lick” your skin... America needs its welders to put our ships together, to build our skyscrapers and our bridges. But I must say that if there is ever any occupation most deserving of replacing its workers with robots, it has to be welding.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:05 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
Fail. Should have gotten into underwater welding. I hear it pays more!

Old 01-08-2015, 04:39 PM

366 posts, read 730,348 times
This young man should put away as much money as he can, while he can. Welding is tough on the back and knees and your lucky to do it for enough years to retire. My brother-in-law retired from Navistar as a welder and he has a tough time just getting out of bed in the mornings. You always have to give up something to get something.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:46 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,758,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Not the most balanced views, coming from somebody that got out -- Welcome to World Wide Welding « Belch.Com
I hope that anyone considering welding as a job takes the time to read your link. It is not a "career" position; it is a job that chews you up and spits you out.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:55 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,841,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Also, you're sucking in metallic fumes all day and your eyes can get something called "welder's flash."

No thanks. I'm happy making half of what he does in an air-conditioned office.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:55 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Default Literally pages and pages of horror stories...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I hope that anyone considering welding as a job takes the time to read your link. It is not a "career" position; it is a job that chews you up and spits you out.
I have some pals that are steamfitters and though their jobs are often physically challenging they say that number of times that they have personally seen a welder blow themselves up, get electrocuted or similar nightmarish accidents strongly suggests something about inhaling molten metallic vapors all day long kills brain cells / damages lungs faster than crystal meth...

Welcome to World Wide Welding « Belch.Com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment