Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 03:41 PM

159 posts, read 177,175 times

Advertisements

Funny reading all these responses. I can tell these are responses from people that do the grunt work at their jobs.

Listen, I'm a manager and I could care less if people like me. Respect is what a person good at managing people looks for. You can't make everyone like you and if people are too sensitive ( like the OP) you will get eaten alive.

Honestly, if the OP was my assistant manager, I'd fire or demote her. She seems weak and inexperienced, idealistic even. Hurt your feelings,huh. Are we in middle school?

The comment " A company that is successful cares about the opinions of ALL of their employees"..... that's impossible since nothing is absolute. Again a very naive comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 08:37 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,668,458 times
Most of those below the age of forty are at risk of becoming summarily unemployed simply for the reason that they were raised in that time period where kids were told that all relations should be fair, and then let them figure out what that meant. The OP's entire rant is little more than a tantrum, I say walk out, find something new, or shut up and get out of the "management" side of things, most of these titles are loosely tossed out as tokens to the uninitiated, and beware if you think someone is your "subordinate" because of it, office politics makes for strange bedfellows.

My brother used to say he preferred the "iron fist" over the "velvet glove" in all things of a work nature. Today we see the workplace becoming a battleground over which approach will be utilized in the modern corp. In the typical office environment there is little opportunity to "show your stuff", as opposed to the world of blue collar work where one's skill can't be BS'd beyond what is obvious to others. Office team leaders don't want to be perceived as weak and often choose a sacrificial lamb to be tossed to the fire as an example of their power. vicious, but effective. The OP sounds like a Lamb candidate, promoting someone with a low popularity score is a first clue.

The office environment is the perfect place for BS'ers to operate with impunity, think Dilbert and the tons of fun Scott Adams has had poking fun at the office as a place of primal distrust and intrigue. I sat back and watched the company I worked for go into a comedy sketch lasting for ten years, the new younger folks brought all their phony drama right through the doors every day, a living soap opera. Many felt they were "management material", when asked what they could bring to the table in that regard they chirped about the fact that they were "educated"-----And by extension I guess. entitled to it.

We built a very sophisticated advanced tech marvel at the manufacturing level, but in the office it was a changing world of "program facilitators", "accelerated improvement workshops" action teams, Tiger teams, and a sundry of new BS'er people to import this crap out to the shops. Along with the new acronym of the week were now working with some of the worst immature types we had ever seen.

I was in my fifties at that point and just wanted to work and go home, and eventually to retire. But these well meaning youth had already made the work place a hell on earth, for us, and them..The company survived this period simply because manufacturing sectors were not taking these newbies seriously, the new people moved on and found a world of much harder work ahead of them, today you do your job, and even then you'll be stabbed in the back at some point by someone.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:59 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,898,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NToma99 View Post
Honestly, if the OP was my assistant manager, I'd fire or demote her. She seems weak and inexperienced, idealistic even.
I was picking up on a "they should have made *me* the manager, but instead now I have to train my boss" vibe. Of course, that response also points to inexperienced and idealistic so we're on the same wavelength I think...

Old 01-17-2015, 12:46 AM

332 posts, read 867,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NToma99 View Post
Funny reading all these responses. I can tell these are responses from people that do the grunt work at their jobs.

Listen, I'm a manager and I could care less if people like me. Respect is what a person good at managing people looks for. You can't make everyone like you and if people are too sensitive ( like the OP) you will get eaten alive.

Honestly, if the OP was my assistant manager, I'd fire or demote her. She seems weak and inexperienced, idealistic even. Hurt your feelings,huh. Are we in middle school?

The comment " A company that is successful cares about the opinions of ALL of their employees"..... that's impossible since nothing is absolute. Again a very naive comment.
How can employees respect the manager or the company who does not respect them or listen to what they have to say? I work in HR for a large company and some of the managers do not respect their employees or believe in team work. By them not doing this I encourage employees to send their concerns to upper management who do investigations. If more than a few employees come to me with problems about their manager and the way the department is run, policies being broken, being bullied or talked down to, or belittled, then something is definitely wrong and it is no wonder that companies like that are struggling. So no not a "naive comment" at all.

Last edited by cra2ybeautiful; 01-17-2015 at 12:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment