Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 12:49 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times

Advertisements

I've been a low wage employee before, but I wasn't content with that. I wanted to do better, not only because I needed the money, but because making that low of a wage and the job itself were demeaning. I certainly didn't want people in my personal life to know I was making $11.68/hr in a call center after graduating college! It's shameful.

Obviously there is a subset of the population that is only capable of menial or low skill work. If you have an IQ of 70, you're not going to be a software engineer or astrophysicist. If you're blind or paralyzed, your options are limited. Still, the amount of people who are physically or intellectually disabled and incapable of doing better is probably just a fraction of low wage employees.

Why do people who can do better just resign themselves to low wage employment? Do they simply give up and grow discouraged? Are they unwilling or unable to learn new skills? Is it inertia? If you're making $8/hr, is $15/hr really not achievable if you put your hand to it? Do they not want to move where the economy is fine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 12:59 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,299 times
Probably because they are not dependent on their jobs for money. They have some inheritance or marry into money. I come across people who have a small business like a bakery, ice cream shop, greeting card store, etc. I don't believe they make enough to support themselves. When you talk to them you realize they are not the bread winners in the family. Either their spouse is the main earning member or they got a house paid off by their relatives so they have no financial obligations. All they need is enough money to pay the utility bills & some personal expenses. If they fit into neither category then they might be minimalists who are content with what they have & know how to manage finances very well. Also, their skills might be suddenly outdated so they are trying to manage the expenses while trying to find a new job. If they are happy & content, good for them. Career might not be a priority for many as their main goal is to raise a good family, travel, try new hobbies, adventure, etc.

Last edited by theluckygal; 01-13-2015 at 01:11 PM..

Old 01-13-2015, 01:01 PM

518 posts, read 871,518 times
Nothing. They may have a husband/wife who is the primary earner and the low-wage job is just an easy way to supplement their income. There are a lot of $12-$15 an hour jobs that REQUIRE you to be a college graduate. I see it all the time.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
There are many reasons, just among those that I know in this situation. To name a few:

Laziness, too much bother to go back to school or learn new skills

Unwilling to do hard, more physical work that pays more

Fear of the unknown - needs the comfort of staying where they are in life, unwilling to take a risk

Unwilling to relocate to where there are better paying jobs

Lacking any savings to pay for relocation or learning new skills

Working only part time, unwilling to work full time because it would cut into their TV time

Tried but failed many times, and gave up

Waiting hopefully for new minimum wage laws to pay them $15 so they don't have to do anything to improve their situation

Wouldn't have anything to whine about if they had a decent job

Old 01-13-2015, 01:11 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
Being able to do a job and convincing someone you may be able to do a job are 2 very different things. I'm guessing quite a lot of folks struggle with the convincing part.

This is in addition to the many reasons listed above by the previous posters.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:44 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Maybe they enjoy what they're doing. Or they don't want to work in an office environment, or don't want to be in a job that creates stress for them.

Why does there have to be something wrong with them at all? I find that offensive.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:58 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Maybe they enjoy what they're doing. Or they don't want to work in an office environment, or don't want to be in a job that creates stress for them.

Why does there have to be something wrong with them at all? I find that offensive.
Indeed.
I worked it for many years because my priority was my kids. That low wage job gave me a little extra money while letting me choose my hours, take off in the middle of the day for school related activities, etc. I know others who do it just as a way to get out of the house and be around other people.
And as has been told to the OP many, many times sometimes people choose to live in an area for reasons other than making money. Living in an area that is agreeable to me is way more important than being able to afford a McMansion, drive a new car, and wear designer clothes. If I hate where I live none of that stuff matters.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:59 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

I was just about to write something similar. Just because your goals are not their goals does not make their goals wrong. It just makes them different. There are plenty of people whose dream existence is to go to a low-stress job, punch in, do their thing, punch out and go home to their modest apartment and have a pot-luck meal with friends or family. You don't have to have a high-powered career and a big fat paycheck to enjoy your life.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:01 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times
Nothing is wrong with them, why would you think there is? Some people work just to work and keep busy. Some people may not want a job that is hire stress and are happy where they are.

It is very offensive to think that something is wrong with a person because of the job they hold.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:17 PM

894 posts, read 1,049,778 times
Some people have to do what they have to do to get the bills paid. It doesn't mean they're unmotivated or lazy. Also, when you're responsible for children it's not easy to take risks or leave a guaranteed source of income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment