Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 08:38 AM

25,636 posts, read 21,807,090 times

Advertisements

I am guessing that some of the 25-30 prospects really didn't want others knowing that they were looking for another position either and now that would be in play. I don't even like the "group" email on the junk that friends mail out - I keep a special box for them so they don't interfere with my life but wouldn't suspect I needed to do that with a job. I guess this serves as a warning that one might want a special email address just for the sake of job hunting.

And, OP, I am agreeing that it is a big deal. If nothing else, commonsense should have dictated that this was not right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 08:46 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,413,544 times
This has to be a recruiter position at a temp agency. This is business 101, not even hiring or management 101. Heck it's email/internet 101.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:58 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,258,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Send emails to multiple recipients using the BCC line instead of the To or CC line. That way they are not shared.
^^^ This.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:44 AM

13,067 posts, read 20,743,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
What should I do? I got worried and scared. Don't want to tell my manager either
Based on your version, you did NOT violate the Can SPAM Act, so don;t worry about that. You did violate a very basic rule of emailing especially in a professional business environment and for that you have no basis to be upset if you are fired for incompetency.

Unfortunately, this is a prime example of how employers need to screen their employees more. Hiring incompetent boobs can open you up to liability or at the very least, professional scorn. I know if I heard of a recruiting company we use pulling a stunt like this, I would terminate using them because obviously they have no idea how to properly screen and train their own employees so what are they going to send me, similar dolts?

Old 01-15-2015, 09:55 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,103,242 times
I've got to agree with all who called this a BONEHEAD move. It is incredibly unprofessional. And for you not to realize that and be callous about your actions on top of that makes it worse!

I am sure you won't respond because on top of all this, you seem to be the type who doesn't take responsibility for your actions -- but I will ask this anyway...

Did you at least delete the recipients email address from your mailing list as requested? Or have you blown that off too?

Old 01-15-2015, 09:57 AM

276 posts, read 328,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Did you at least delete the recipients email address from your mailing list as requested? Or have you blown that off too?
What do you mean?

Old 01-15-2015, 10:10 AM

7,943 posts, read 5,745,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You have lost your right to complain about candidates on here IMHO.

Wow.

Just...wow.
I know, right?

It's almost inconceivable that the OP is involved in HR/hiring in any capacity. The concept of BCC is not even email 101, it's like email 01.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I've got to agree with all who called this a BONEHEAD move. It is incredibly unprofessional. And for you not to realize that and be callous about your actions on top of that makes it worse!

I am sure you won't respond because on top of all this, you seem to be the type who doesn't take responsibility for your actions -- but I will ask this anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
What do you mean?

Seriously, I'm beginning to think (Rudolph) Valentino is a troll.

If you have a list of the people you emailed, delete the guy that's angry with you.

You DO know about the "Delete" function, right?

Old 01-15-2015, 10:13 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,413,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
I know, right?

It's almost inconceivable that the OP is involved in HR/hiring in any capacity. The concept of BCC is not even email 101, it's like email 01.

Seriously, I'm beginning to think (Rudolph) Valentino is a troll.

If you have a list of the people you emailed, delete the guy that's angry with you.

You DO know about the "Delete" function, right?
What is this address book you speak of??

Old 01-15-2015, 10:21 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,107,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
How are you employed working with anything technical?

That job seeker should report you for sharing the e-mail addresses. What you did was careless and put individuals at risk. If you happened to e-mail two people that knew each other (and didn't like each other) it could get back to their current job and get them canned.

You really need to own up to this. Punishment is deserved.
I agree. I'd fire him.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:28 AM

276 posts, read 328,876 times
This thread should be locked. We all make mistakes, and unfortunately not all of us are 100% smart and knows how everything technical works. Thanks to those who helped me out - I will use BCC now and actually tried it out as a test and it worked fine. Lesson learned, thanksfully nothing happened and no more angry people except that guy where I responded back to him and apologized. I did get few responds back though and one person will be submitted for an interview!

I'm in an entry-level position and still in the learning process.... you learn new things everyday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment