Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 10:18 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Sometimes life sucks and our precious snowflakes need to learn that lesson first.

Why are millennials so sure we boomers had it so great and how they are suffering and we didn't? WTH?

I am a boomer and here is my income history from 1966 to 1980 (17 to 32 years old) from my social security statement.

1968 to 1969 I was drafted into the army and the reason my 68 and 69 pay was so low is they didn't tax everything you earned in Vietnam. I remember my pay in Vietnam was $333/month so how the totals came up so low I don't know.

Anyway, 1970 I earned $4,759 which, when adjusted for inflation, comes out to be $29,036.77 2014 dollars. That was a good year and then the recession hit which sucked.

In 1971 I earned the equivalent of $21,732.95.

In 1976, I was approaching 30 years old, I earned the equivalent of $31,121.01.

I finally started earning what I would call "decent money" in 1980 when I earned the equivalent of $57,172.89. This was a good thing because by this time I was married with children.

The $50,000 student loan debt. In 1977 $50,000 was equivalent to $12,799.07 when I earned $11,550 the equivalent of $45,120.48

Oh, and in 1977, 1978 and 1979 I had TWO JOBS, got it? One full time where I worked at least 50 hours/week salary and not hourly. My other job was part time on weekends when I worked anywhere from 10 to 12 hours EVERY weekend.

I was married with children and a man has to do what a man has to do!

I am sick and tired of hearing the millennial whine thing. Suck it up and go get a second job you lazy, self entitled bums because I don't owe you a living. Got it?

But mommy, that old man is like talking mean to me and
everything. He's disrespecting me and hurting my feelings.
Doesn't he understand I have a Masters Degree in
Puppetry from the University of Connecticut? Why
does he earn more money than I do?
\

Bunch of **** babies make me sick!

After 1980 my wages continually increased to where I was maxing out social security and every August it seemed like I got a raise. Good times, in 1986 I earned $48,000 which was equivalent to $103,680 but I was approaching 40 before I saw it and I worked hard to get there.

I worked salary and got to pick my own hours. Didn't matter when I came in, when I went for lunch or when I went home. The ONLY thing that mattered was I get my job done because 12 people relied on me to get my job done so they could do theirs. Without my work done they didn't have a job to do and the company lost money. This said i worked hard, very hard, to get my job done and this was the time in my life 60 hour work weeks were the normal and like ritual I ALWAYS went in to work Saturday morning.

I didn't work hard and long because I got a lot of money but I did work hard and long so I would get a lot of money. There's a difference there.

Oh, another thing. 40 years ago we didn't have Section 8 housing, food stamps were very rare and I remember it well if you didn't work you didn't eat. Period.

So here I am still working full time.

I am training my young 24 year old replacement, who has college while I don't, and when he gets a bit uppity about it I slap him with "Your young and agility of mind is no match for my experience in the ways of treachery." He seems to get the hint and backs down.

I earn more than double what he earns but I have 40 years experience while he has 2. Even with college I've forgotten more than he ever knew.

In time he will earn what I earn but it isn't going to be tomorrow.
What exactly makes the 24 year old replacement "uppity?" I'll agree that you worked more hours than they went to K-12 and college BUT that doesn't give you the right to browbeat them and pound your chest about your experience. Perhaps your experience is no longer relevant due to new technology. Every year or so there's new tools that pop up as well as techniques. Perhaps your's aren't as say as efficient as the new ways he was introduced to in college. Maybe couldn't he be asking why you do it that way in a way to pick your brain and you take it wrongfully as a challenge. When he "seems to get the hint and backs down" when "you slap him with 'Your young and agility of mind is no match for my experience in the ways of treachery,'" your institutional knowledge isn't retained by being passed along and possibly your company will suffer when you have to depart whether it is by choice or not.

If you believe he wants to earn what you earn now tomorrow, that is naive both on you on him. Most people are going to realize it does take time and effort to do so. Most people aren't going to be the inept son/daughter/niece/nephew of the boss that is given second chance after second chance after second chance after a failure. Not saying it isn't fair but it is something to remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
I like the part where you completely disregard the fact that you didn't go to college and your replacement had too yet you still believe you are entitled to higher pay. He probably had to go through more hoops than you ever did.
There was that too early on. In nicet's defense, they have hoops but it wasn't as at the start perhaps. Sure the economy was in the crapper when he wasn't in Nam BUT that don't give him the right to browbeat people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
I don't think it has to be that way. I work two jobs: 1) I conduct foundation inspections on houses and small office buildings. SUCKS!!!! BORING!!! 2) I tutor math at the high school and college freshman level. While I'd much rather be doing a track day or spending time with my family, I actually find the job quite rewarding and to be honest it really doesn't seem like work.

Working your whole life at a job you hate is a waste of ones time. I understand that many people in impoverished countries have to take hard labor jobs to feed their families but in developed nations theres just no reason not to pursue your dream. You may need to make a few sacrifices to get what you want and you will, of course need to work hard but accomplishing your goal is absolutely doable. One of the keys is to be happy with what you've got once your goal has been achieved.
The issue is there isn't much of an ability to actually do fulfilling work. I want to be say a screenwriter but unless I have the ties when I submit a script and a treatment for a show or movie, it will likely be fruitless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 02:05 AM

897 posts, read 1,180,199 times
Maybe others have said this, but as a millennial, we're disappointed by one big thing: college. Baby boomers all said: "Yes, college! It's like a boost! You could be getting real world experience and skills but you make the sacrifice to get a better education, and college should give you transferable skills to the workforce anyway, so you'll get a decent job!! There's so much value in a degree!"

Then we all graduated. Where was the decent job? Oh, that's right. It didn't exist. Where was the value? Oh, right. There is none. Just massive debt, and no job to help us pay off this debt. So why did we go to college? We should've went the experience route, but you KNOW the parents and older generations were all breathing college down our necks and making all sorts of strange promises about what college was, could do, and why we should rush to college right after highschool. How many kids killed themselves because of college "pressure"? And for what?

... And then when we got out of college, it was as if our college degrees didn't matter. And do they? Nope. I've seen too many GED/highschool graduates with jobs I WISH I could get. But now I have to go their route. Despite going to college for 4 years, and busting my *ss to get good grades and making that sacrifice, I now still have to get experience and start from the bottom - which I could've been doing for the 4+ years I was in college, and minus the debt!

Now, am I saying college is totally useless? Sort of. But not for science/finance majors. But we all do not have that path. We want other things. We're all unique. So truthfully, they're the only ones really seeing an immediate benefit. Did our parents tell us this? Nope.

It's all a very sour experience, and I know I'm not the only one who will be preaching a different truth to our kids. I know others in my "generation" who will be telling their kids to wait to go to college.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:21 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The issue is there isn't much of an ability to actually do fulfilling work. I want to be say a screenwriter but unless I have the ties when I submit a script and a treatment for a show or movie, it will likely be fruitless.
Start at the community theatre level to develop your craft and make connections.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:38 PM

7,922 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
Maybe others have said this, but as a millennial, we're disappointed by one big thing: college. Baby boomers all said: "Yes, college! It's like a boost! You could be getting real world experience and skills but you make the sacrifice to get a better education, and college should give you transferable skills to the workforce anyway, so you'll get a decent job!! There's so much value in a degree!"

Then we all graduated. Where was the decent job? Oh, that's right. It didn't exist. Where was the value? Oh, right. There is none. Just massive debt, and no job to help us pay off this debt. So why did we go to college? We should've went the experience route, but you KNOW the parents and older generations were all breathing college down our necks and making all sorts of strange promises about what college was, could do, and why we should rush to college right after highschool. How many kids killed themselves because of college "pressure"? And for what?

... And then when we got out of college, it was as if our college degrees didn't matter. And do they? Nope. I've seen too many GED/highschool graduates with jobs I WISH I could get. But now I have to go their route. Despite going to college for 4 years, and busting my *ss to get good grades and making that sacrifice, I now still have to get experience and start from the bottom - which I could've been doing for the 4+ years I was in college, and minus the debt!

Now, am I saying college is totally useless? Sort of. But not for science/finance majors. But we all do not have that path. We want other things. We're all unique. So truthfully, they're the only ones really seeing an immediate benefit. Did our parents tell us this? Nope.

It's all a very sour experience, and I know I'm not the only one who will be preaching a different truth to our kids. I know others in my "generation" who will be telling their kids to wait to go to college.
Not sure where you are but generally in the northeast you pretty much have to get a degree to get a job. The unemployment rate decreases with education. I don't know what field you are looking for but frankly the market is better for those with degrees then without. There can be debt. Personally I worked first went to a two year school worked again and then finished mine.

Every industry has a trade association with it. Just contact that trade association and talk to those that are in as to how the industry works, it's that simple.

If there is no value of higher ed then why do the vast majority of jobs across the northeast (where most of the country lives btw) ask for a degree?

Old 01-31-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Not sure where you are but generally in the northeast you pretty much have to get a degree to get a job. The unemployment rate decreases with education. I don't know what field you are looking for but frankly the market is better for those with degrees then without. There can be debt. Personally I worked first went to a two year school worked again and then finished mine.

Every industry has a trade association with it. Just contact that trade association and talk to those that are in as to how the industry works, it's that simple.

If there is no value of higher ed then why do the vast majority of jobs across the northeast (where most of the country lives btw) ask for a degree?
I'll look into the trade association - but yes, I've wondered this too. They want the degree and then 10 years of experience. I'd rather have been getting the 10 years of experience, worked, saved up to get a debt-free degree, and then I would have been good to go. But I didn't. My bad. I know someone that took that route, and now works $55k/year without a degree. Hm. HM. You need a degree, you say? And this person works in accounts payables.

Yes, I've HEARD the Northeast is great for jobs, but I haven't seen that. I know three people who went to different areas to get a job because it's that bad here. Two went to CA, the other to FL. I'm now considering relocating, too. One has a finance degree and worked at Chase but was let go due to the economy, the other has an engineering degree and never made it here, and the other has an art degree (I dunno in which field). I know another person with a social work degree who went to FL, too.

I dunno. I keep hearing people saying "not to give up, it's tough." I wish they would've said that while I was in HS! "You'll want to give up after you get your GED and pursue your dreams, because after you get this degree nothing will get easier. Nothing. You won't even have experience to get entry level jobs! But hang in there, lil' dreamer. "

Old 01-31-2015, 09:02 PM

7,922 posts, read 7,811,466 times
The thing is even with experience you still have to quantify it. There are other ways of getting some experience. Look if there's any forms of certifications or regulations to comply with.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:28 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
I know someone that took that route, and now works $55k/year without a degree. Hm. HM. You need a degree, you say? And this person works in accounts payables.
I'll bet he or she will still be making $55K when he's 50 years old, adjusted for inflation. His boss' boss, you know, the one with the liberal arts degree and the MBA, will be making $300K.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I'll bet he or she will still be making $55K when he's 50 years old, adjusted for inflation. His boss' boss, you know, the one with the liberal arts degree and the MBA, will be making $300K.
I guess that's a good way of looking at it!

Old 02-08-2015, 07:57 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,731,166 times
Reading all of these posts makes me really glad I saved my money and retired early @ 48.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:58 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Reading all of these posts makes me really glad I saved my money and retired early @ 48.
why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment