Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 07:20 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,159,429 times

Advertisements

is it possible for us to speak from our own perspectives here? i'm reading a lot of projecting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 08:04 PM

414 posts, read 1,019,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
is it possible for us to speak from our own perspectives here? i'm reading a lot of projecting.
Are you new to the internet?

Old 02-11-2015, 07:15 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,854,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post

To get my first job out of college, I had to go to school for 5 years, get excellent grades, do 4 internships, community service, studying for the CPA exam. All of this takes on debt that starts you off in life in the hole. I get paid good salary and benefits at a great job. I had to beat out THOUSANDS to do this...
I don't understand; you say this as if it were a bad thing. This is a good thing.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:11 AM

897 posts, read 1,179,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I don't understand; you say this as if it were a bad thing. This is a good thing.
I think that person is saying they're not disillusioned, things are just harder. I know in the 90's, getting a job was as easy as sending in your resume. Those same people were the ones who thought sending their kid to college or forcing it down their throat was a sure-fire thing. It's a different ballgame. People graduating recently had to do so in the economic climate of a recession, bidding for jobs against veterans and the skilled. People graduating in the 90's did so when there was a surplus in the economy and getting a college degree was done by relatively so few, it was actually a great thing to have.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:13 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,920,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
I know in the 90's, getting a job was as easy as sending in your resume.

It really wasn't.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:55 AM

897 posts, read 1,179,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It really wasn't.
Well, from those I know who got jobs it was. If your situation was different, my bad. But regardless of if it wasn't "that" easy, it was still a lot easier than it is now. That was my point.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Well, from those I know who got jobs it was. If your situation was different, my bad. But regardless of if it wasn't "that" easy, it was still a lot easier than it is now. That was my point.

I'm not talking about just me. It was largely the same for everyone I graduated with in 94. School, lots of internships, networking, often toiling in retail/service for a while to get your first foot in the door.

In some ways I think things are better now as there are a lot more paid internships (mine were all unpaid) and there is a lot more formal internship programs so you're less likely to need to knock on doors and plead to work for free.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:26 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,872,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It really wasn't.
Would you agree that it was much easier to get a job, let alone a better paying job than it is now.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Would you agree that it was much easier to get a job, let alone a better paying job than it is now.

I don't know about the former, definitely not re the latter. Hiring is pretty darn strong now, especially at the lower levels. It's the mid levels that seem to be toiling.

Entry level salaries are much higher now in absolute dollars. But of course there is inflation and I would have to adjust them for real dollars... which I haven't done.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:33 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,586,489 times
Quote:
I think that person is saying they're not disillusioned, things are just harder. I know in the 90's, getting a job was as easy as sending in your resume. Those same people were the ones who thought sending their kid to college or forcing it down their throat was a sure-fire thing. It's a different ballgame. People graduating recently had to do so in the economic climate of a recession, bidding for jobs against veterans and the skilled. People graduating in the 90's did so when there was a surplus in the economy and getting a college degree was done by relatively so few, it was actually a great thing to have.

Not quite.

Weren't you born in the '90's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment