Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 04:42 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times

Advertisements

I have no interest in working in the tech or med fields professionally. I wouldn't mind working a fairly dull job in something that didn't particularly interest me as long as the benefits and pay were good and it wasn't hard on the body, but it seems like many employers refuse to hire non-degreed people no matter how otherwise qualified they are!

I'm 25 and don't have any savings and very little work experience to my name, but I also have the benefit of not having any debt and I don't want to lose this one positive asset I have. I can't afford to go into tens of thousands of dollars worth of debt over a maybe, but the alternative doesn't seem great either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 04:56 PM

32 posts, read 87,446 times
(Not a HR or manager here)
I think it's not so cut and dry with how hires are being selected.
Experience matters a lot these days, and for some backgrounds, the college experience is the only way they can get some experience in that field after finishing high school. But it's better than nothing, especially if someone has nothing going on for them in a field they want to start in.

I would agree that not having any educational experience might hurt against you, but at the same time, everyone else who just got degrees are having a tough time getting jobs. Just look at how many of your friends, friends of friends, people posting on social media and forums who are just recent grads (<~3 years or above and still looking) and having trouble finding jobs they thought the college prepared them for.

If you look at the census, our country's numbers keep going up for educational attainment in all degrees overall:
http://www.census.gov/hhes/socdemo/e...rical/fig4.jpg
http://www.census.gov/hhes/socdemo/e...rical/fig6.jpg
(US Census Index site: Educational Attainment CPS Historical Tables - U.S. Census Bureau )

And I would presume it will continue to get worse until something is figured out.

Maybe it might help if you stated your salary range/location. If you just want a job to get by with general life in a decent sized metro, you could probably stabilize at ~40k but you'd still have to sacrifice some things.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:07 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,015,532 times
IF you ever plan on getting hired in a corporation, you'd be well advised to get at least a 2 year degree of some kind. Without it, you are unlikely to even get an interview. There's far too many people in the job market, and the easiest filter in the world is for them to throw away resumes unread of applicants that don't have a degree.

It's a new world out there, and only having a high school diploma is not enough anymore, except in some real special cases, or you don't ever plan on getting advanced from the basic level of employment.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:15 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,503 times
No you don't NEED a degree to do the job, but you will probably need one to get the job. From a manager's point of view when I look at you I see someone who is 25 with "little work experience, just getting by. If I look at a college graduate I see someone who I would think at least had the ability to learn and the drive to make themselves better.
If I'm investing training and benefits in a new hire, where do you think I'm going to make the investment.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:25 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
You want a fairly dull job that isn't hard on the body but pays well and doesn't require college. I'm not sure that exists. You could go into the trades, like electrician, hvac and plumbing, but eventually those are probably hard on the body and also require some type of training/education.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:28 PM

5,897 posts, read 3,898,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I have no interest in working in the tech or med fields professionally. I wouldn't mind working a fairly dull job in something that didn't particularly interest me as long as the benefits and pay were good and it wasn't hard on the body, but it seems like many employers refuse to hire non-degreed people no matter how otherwise qualified they are!

I'm 25 and don't have any savings and very little work experience to my name, but I also have the benefit of not having any debt and I don't want to lose this one positive asset I have. I can't afford to go into tens of thousands of dollars worth of debt over a maybe, but the alternative doesn't seem great either.
Take a look on Indeed and search for various key terms for your area. In my area, most companies require any type of degree for an entry-level job. For example, I'm a History major and I've already interviewed in different career fields which history doesn't pertain to. Even if your first entry-level job isn't all that great, it will serve as resume/experience material which will only help you in the future.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:40 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,183 times
Quote:

How about a trade?

Old 01-20-2015, 07:12 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,903 times
Quote:

I have an English BA, and it has served me well, but is not valued by most employers. I am always told I have extrordinary written and verbal skills (although I can't spell to save my life - thank you spell check!!!), but they never connect it to my education/degree - I just magically gained the skills from the communications fairy~!

Do your general education requirements at a community college, and the price in most states is pretty cheap, so you could pay cash as you go. Graduate WITH the AA. Most university will take the AA as is, it's a completed degree, and while they may require one or two "required" courses, if just you transfer in 60 credits, you will likely only get 30-45 accepted by the university.

Do your BA at "No Name State," steer clear of private colleges or Tier One universities - too expensive for a generic degree in liberal arts - there is no "extra credit" for where you got the degree from in most cases, especially if it's liberal arts or an education degree.

Career opportunities would include:
Technical writer
Retail Management
Professional sales/medical sales
Teaching at K-12
Fed/State/County government management
Military (this may not be of interest, but there are lots of opportunities that are not Med/Tech)
EDIT: Casualty insurance sales/auditing/claims

I am sure the list is much longer, but that's what I come up with off the top of my head.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Tuck's Dad; 01-20-2015 at 07:30 PM..

Old 01-20-2015, 07:16 PM

820 posts, read 1,209,095 times
College is not necessary if you do not want to work at big corporations. If you are okay with earning 30-40k the rest of your life, than you could work for small businesses and be fine. There is no need to stress over money, I know people that walk dogs for a living, and make enough to rent and live. Id only recommend college if you know what you want to specialize in. Too many sheep follow the heard and end up in debt with a worthless degree.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:17 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Of the people I know personally who don't have any college degrees:

- I know a person who owns his own book-keeping business and does quite well.
- Another person has worked retail and odd office jobs his entire career.
- A number of people in my office don't and work jobs varying from administrative to field jobs. Some of it is not bad and they can paid OK. But they are capped at where they can advance to.
- I know some people who do construction type work and they make decent money, but their bodies are in bad shape. A guy I know just had to have his hip replaced. Construction/outdoor type work is very hard, no question.

You can do OK. But in general, it makes no sense NOT to get a 4 year degree unless you really cannot afford to do it (finances/kids/etc) or you know what you want to do for sure and it doesn't require one.

I mean, I know childless housewives with rich husbands who will never have to work a day for their rest of their lives. A number of them. And they ALL have 4 year degrees. A couple of 'em have masters degrees.

So, there's your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment