Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 09:28 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,243 times

Advertisements

Just curious to hear what some of your most uncomfortable work environments have been? Stuff like smells, small spaces, uncomfortable temperatures, noise, etc etc etc. What are some of your worst?

Some of mine:

- Office with no water and no bathrooms. We had to use a public bathroom in the building the office rented out of, and there was no water coolers, bottled water, etc.... Maybe not the worst, but I've never seen an office with no water...

- Worked in a department store's logistic warehouse. There was no heating or cooling, so winter temperatures were 0-20 degrees and summers felt like 100-120.

- Worked in the office of a plastic manufacturing facility. The building reeked of plastic resin and chlorine (for the water used to help process the resin). I still worry about how unhealthy the smells could have been.

What are yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 10:39 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Uncomfortable people, such as narcissistic people (bullies) are the worst.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:59 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
A drab, stuffy, dark, dingy cubicle under yellowed flourescent lighting.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:19 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,017 times
Almost every cubicle environment due to the noise, smells, and lack of privacy. It was distracting to smell someone's fish taco or hear someone's loud ringtone while trying to concentrate. How bad it is depends a lot on the people surrounding me and how considerate or quiet they were. Some of these offices were also freezing cold to the point that people brought in blankets. I prefer an environment where I am moving around, so any job where I am captive sitting in one spot all day is uncomfortable to some degree.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:28 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Working in a deli many years ago in the 90's when I was young. We had to clean out the raw chickens and it smelled nasty. Also the compactor area was really rank. Not a bad job other wise fun coworkers and often wacky and weird customers. We even got reprimanded for playing around with the PA system saying "Attention K Mart shoppers." It got me started on customer service skills though that I employ to this day 19 years later in a much nicer environment. We Learn something at every stage of life.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:34 AM

403 posts, read 681,533 times
Flight deck of an aircraft carrier, especially during night combat air ops. Head on a swivel is an understatement.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:42 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
When I was an undergraduate one of the part-time jobs I had was directing traffic for football games, dorm check-in, and other events. It wasn't a bad job because if we were working a football game, for instance, we would be on the clock for the entire game, so I would be free to go home and get some work done or do whatever else I wanted to do just as long as I was back at my post in time. (I could have gotten into the game for free, too, but I had no interest.)

The kicker was, of course, that we had to be there, outside, no matter what the conditions. Weather in Michigan in the fall can get pretty bad, so I definitely had times when I was extremely cold, or cold and wet at the same time, and that was very unpleasant.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:32 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,851 times
kostka taylor llc is the worst job I ever had, 2 and half clowns insulate me and cheated me out my due compensation.

I do wonder why accounting is such a disgusting profession.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:42 AM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid84 View Post
Flight deck of an aircraft carrier, especially during night combat air ops. Head on a swivel is an understatement.

Or in the engine rooms of one! Stay times of 20 minutes before you have to be relieved because of the high heat!

I was on 66 and 69
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment