Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 08:10 AM

615 posts, read 725,719 times

Advertisements

It's so strange because you can have 2 people doing the exact same work, one at Company A and the other at Company B, and the guy at Company A will have a salary of $45,000 while the guy at Company B will have a salary of $100,000. From my observation, making a lot of money is mostly about playing the system so that you get connected into a role that is comparitively overpaid. There wouldn't be so much job hopping if compensation wasn't so arbitrary. If I'm making $45,000 and I'm aware that my buddy who works the same role and same hours at a bigger firm is making 6 figures, then obviously I'm going to try and get on that gravy train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 08:14 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
I don't even know where to start with this. There could be a million different reasons one is making more than the others. To name a few:

Size of business
Profit margins
Other costs
Industry

It could also be that one company decides to higher lower quality talent and pay less. And they might be ok with it.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:15 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,778,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
It's so strange because you can have 2 people doing the exact same work, one at Company A and the other at Company B, and the guy at Company A will have a salary of $45,000 while the guy at Company B will have a salary of $100,000. From my observation, making a lot of money is mostly about playing the system so that you get connected into a role that is comparitively overpaid. There wouldn't be so much job hopping if compensation wasn't so arbitrary. If I'm making $45,000 and I'm aware that my buddy who works the same role and same hours at a bigger firm is making 6 figures, then obviously I'm going to try and get on that gravy train.
A) A bigger firm has more resources and is more likely to be able to pay you more
B) A smaller firm is more likely to reward via promotion
C) Bigger companies often entail either more work, more complex work, and/or a higher risk for the company if you mess up.
D) Building on the underlined part, a company will often pay more because they are more at risk of what happens if your job cannot be performed, so they try to attract a higher level of talent.

If you're under paid, then quit. If you're qualified to do the $100k job, you should be able to find one, but I suspect you'll realize once you do that while they may sounds similar, jobs with that much of a pay gap are almost never "the exact same work."

Old 01-22-2015, 08:16 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
No, income is a matter of how well you sell yourself. If you are chronically underpaid, then you need to understand how to justify a higher salary in terms of revenue brought to the company or money you save the company.

Invest in yourself. Look the part. Act the part. And deliver the goods. And the money will follow. If it doesn't move to another company.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:22 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
If you're under paid, then quit. If you're qualified to do the $100k job, you should be able to find one, but I suspect you'll realize once you do that while they may sounds similar, jobs with that much of a pay gap are almost never "the exact same work."
I agree. I worked with a woman for a few years in which we both had the same salary and essentially did the same work. She left our company to go to another one making ~$25K more - and she was MISERABLE. The job description, while technically the same, was much more menial and unfulfilling. Not only that, but at the new job she worked 10-15 hours of OT per week (unpaid since she was exempt) AND was on-call until late in the evening, which cut into her personal life when the boss called at 10 p.m. asking her to come into the office to send a fax or email a client. Not only that, but the perks of the company we both worked at were infinitely better than the new job (free lunch, free snacks, free healthcare coverage).

In a nutshell, she may have been making $25K more per year, but I was MUCH MUCH happier where I was compared to her.

A year after she took the job, she left for a lower paying job. She learned quickly that job satisfaction is much more important than a paycheck.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:31 AM

615 posts, read 725,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
No, income is a matter of how well you sell yourself. If you are chronically underpaid, then you need to understand how to justify a higher salary in terms of revenue brought to the company or money you save the company.

Invest in yourself. Look the part. Act the part. And deliver the goods. And the money will follow. If it doesn't move to another company.
Just for clarification, I don't think I'm underpaid, but I'm motivated to be a high earner in the future and I'm trying to figure out how to play my cards to that end. Working hard seems to be the least important thing. Tell some guy in an Indian sweat that working harder will be what enriches him. No, what he should be doing is trying to become an H1B Visa worker in the U.S.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:34 AM

321 posts, read 292,578 times
Nice extreme example.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:38 AM

62 posts, read 70,029 times
Sometimes that even occur inside the same company for the same function. A big part of this inequality is due that the salaries are not public information and people are able to negotiate different pay based on experience and negotiation skills.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:19 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Everyone should be the same income or just get rid of income on general.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:24 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
This is such a huge oversimplification it makes me wonder what your major was in college. Same with RunD1987, you couldn't have graduated from any business school if you think a myriad of factors don't impact salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment