Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 11:16 AM

780 posts, read 425,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I have never understood, why anyone works at a job they hate. I would never have done that.
Because jobs change or don't turn out as expected.

I've never worked at a company where everything was pitch perfect from day one to the end of my tenure. After the honeymoon period, all bets are off. Management changes, org changes, role changes, etc., all lead to ways your job can become less appealing.

I've had a hiring manager straight up mislead or hide information about what a job would be. During the interview, they would be vague about details or straight up mislead you about the role. Why? Because sometimes they want to attract who they think is the best talent on their team regardless of your expectation for your next role. So they are going to paint their job as everything you mention that you're looking for, like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Sometimes it's not the job or the manager, it's the culture of the company. If you've ever worked in a toxic, backstabbing culture, you'd completely understand how someone could hate their job. I've developed PTSD from one or two companies in the past.

And sometimes you simply outgrow the position. That's when you should look for a new role, internally or externally. Some people don't, and just complain on and on about it. Their loss, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 12:29 PM

483 posts, read 886,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
Because jobs change or don't turn out as expected.

I've never worked at a company where everything was pitch perfect from day one to the end of my tenure. After the honeymoon period, all bets are off. Management changes, org changes, role changes, etc., all lead to ways your job can become less appealing.

I've had a hiring manager straight up mislead or hide information about what a job would be. During the interview, they would be vague about details or straight up mislead you about the role. Why? Because sometimes they want to attract who they think is the best talent on their team regardless of your expectation for your next role. So they are going to paint their job as everything you mention that you're looking for, like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Sometimes it's not the job or the manager, it's the culture of the company. If you've ever worked in a toxic, backstabbing culture, you'd completely understand how someone could hate their job. I've developed PTSD from one or two companies in the past.

And sometimes you simply outgrow the position. That's when you should look for a new role, internally or externally. Some people don't, and just complain on and on about it. Their loss, I guess.

All of the above are true. You take a job based on a description and what they tell you in the interview. Proposed boss will act on their best behavior in the interview; then, become a different person later. Rapidly changing needs of the organization means you wind up with work you didn't sign up to do in your interview. Mergers and buyouts happen, etc. You take the 1st job offer you have that you don't want because you think your existing job is in jeopardy; then still look for something better because it's better to have a job and pay the bills than have a huge gap while you "wait for the right one". I've job jumped a ton. I want to settle down somewhere and stay awhile.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:33 PM

390 posts, read 379,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
Reminds me of a job I had. When I first started it was like family. My boss/ owner I could tell was greedy and chauvinistic but he was good to the employees with pay and bonuses. He was happy not an ******* but would jokingly say like- don't you need those toes worked on? That cuts makes you look 10 pounds thinner. Sometimes you were not sure if he was actually paying a compliment or offending you and most of the time it was the latter.

Skip forward a few years and his greed took over. There was quite a turn over and some of the long term employees turned mean and backstabbing towards each other. I am generally happy but once the **** started turning my way I was wanting to get out but it was 2009 and I'm in Vegas so the economy was crap. I ended up getting laid off. Although painful, it was a blessing in disguise.

Now I've been at my current job for almost 9 years. It's a good job with good benefits but the pay is low in comparison. But a larger paycheck at a different company could be eaten up by having to pay more for your benefits. They supported me in many ways through the cancer of my husband and when he passed they were there for me. The day to day job is stressful but I like who I work with and the environment is very casual and flexible. If I need a few hours off for a doctor appointment it's OK. We get the normal holidays and I get 4 weeks a year PTO. Unless super sick rarely call in because we also have the option to work from home. All in all it's a good fit- just wish I made more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment