Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 09:12 AM

3,304 posts, read 8,554,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I think this would last until lunch time, in your vehicle, even in the summer (I'd put it in the trunk as it stays cooler). I regularly drive food from Phoenix AZ to Sedona in the summer and it's VERY hot here. It does fine.
I like this lunch bag a lot. It keeps it much cooler than an insulated bag with an ice block in it, since it is ice cold on the bottom and all sides of the bag. With that being said, it needs to pretty much be stored at room temperature. I would not leave it in my car in the summer time, as it wouldn't last. Under room temperature conditions it will keep food at refrigerator coldness for 6-8 hours.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:13 AM

3,304 posts, read 8,554,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Oh, that is clever! Thanks for the info!
Thanks, my mom actually bought them for me an my wife as a gift. They had a sale at Toys-r-us last year and she got 10 of them for like $.75 a piece. I'm not sure you can find a deal like that, but if you do some searching around you'll find a price better than retail.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:20 AM

3,644 posts, read 4,493,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Spiking the food is in no way "protecting" it. In fact, unless you're planning on eating the spiked food yourself if it doesn't get stolen, you're actually ruining it. And if you do not believe me that this could be considered assault, ask a cop or a lawyer. Or your local HR person.

This actually brings up another question for the lunchroom vigilantes in the thread. Would you bring two lunches, a poisoned one and a good one for yourself? You obviously can't keep both in the same fridge, he might steal the good one. Or will you skip lunch, go out to eat and leave your bait behind, or what? What do you do if the thief doesn't take the bait?

If anyone notices you bring in multiple lunches and never eat them all, or you bring in lunch and then buy another one without ever eating the ones you bring,nits going to shoot a great big hole in that "I made it that way for my own consumption" theory.

This thread just keeps getting funnier and funnier.....
I might plan on eating it, why not? As I've mentioned, I take laxatives occasionally to ease my IBS symptoms. I have a laxative presciption. And asking a cop, lawyer or HR person proves intent. I'm gonna make it look like an accident

And I highly doubt anyone is paying that close attention to my lunchery habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Lol...really?

So "clever" it was dreamt up by high school kids....

OK, I won't get hung up on symantics, let's say it's not passive-aggressive, it's just outright aggressive.

And where is the logic in the question that asks if I'd prefer a higher level of a violence instead of a lesser level of violence, when I am the one expressing opposition to ANY form of violence?

SMH. Again.
Dude. Violence? Really? Yeah, maybe on the thief's arse, but whose fault is that? Violence...lol.

And FWIW our company has a whole wall that is a big fridge, like the ones you'd see at a supermarket. My issue has always been the freezer, of which there is only 1 and it's the size of a regular at-home refrigerator. But...a freezer. And it's filled with ancient ice cream and drinks. Who knows, maybe that's what I should tell HR about and they can have the cleaning lady post a note on the freezer that says everything left in it past xx/xx/2015 will be thrown out, so get your **** outta there.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:41 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,862,642 times
Here's what happened when I was working at an office.

It started during the second or third week there when I left my Subway sandwich in fridge. I came to get it for lunch and unwrapped my sandwich only to see it was two loaves of bread. Someone stole all of the meat, lettuce, tomatoes, and other ingredients, and only left the two loaves of bread. Then they wrapped it back up and put it back. They even drank my protein shake leaving only the container. Really?

I started writing my name on my lunch after that, to no avail. It couldn't have been more than two days later when I opened the fridge to get out my beef stew lunch, only to find that someone picked out all of the beef and potatoes only leaving behind carrots floating in brown stew. How they did this, I don't know. I threw it out because I figured they used their hands to take out the ingredients they wanted.

The next week I brought in a lunchbox with my name and a big do not touch sign on it. Same thing, that week more of my lunches went completely missing. First my Steak/broccoli/sweet potatoes lunch totally disappeared with not trace. About half of my drinks that week also went missing. Everything from bottled water and even my protein shakes disappeared. I also brought a container with milk and someone drank half of it and left the rest. There were even the outline of lips around the top of the container.

I finally went to the boss, not wanting to make a scene as a new employee. He sent out an e-mail highlighting the repercussions of what will happen to someone who gets caught stealing lunch. He even said that there may or may not be cameras being placed around the lunchroom. You would think it would end right? Wrong. It continued. I was about to take my (in tact) chicken and rice lunch out of the fridge when the fire alarm went off. We all left for a fire drill, and when we came back and went back the fridge almost immediately and guess what was missing? My lunch. How they pulled that off, to this day I have no clue. At that point I decided to take matters into my own hands and began thinking of how to right this wrong.

The next Monday I brought some more beef stew in my "Do not touch my lunch!" labeled lunchbox, and this time I put an entire 10 pack of dulcolax in the broth. I skipped lunch that day and kept an eye out for anyone acting funny. Eventually the person who sits directly behind me, a woman I would have called one of my favorite coworkers, got up and went to the bathroom. Within two minutes of coming back, she got up and went again. And again. And again. I went to check on my lunch and you guessed it, it was gone. And again she ran to the bathroom. Eventually she got up a fourth or fifth time with quivering legs and soiled her pants (and the carpet too) right there in front of everyone, standing up in plain sight. I'm sorry but it was hilarious and I was trying so hard not to burst out laughing. The woman behind me who I had trusted was the one who was stealing my lunches all of this time.

No one's lunches ever disappeared again.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:11 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Here's what happened when I was working at an office.

It started during the second or third week there when I left my Subway sandwich in fridge. I came to get it for lunch and unwrapped my sandwich only to see it was two loaves of bread. Someone stole all of the meat, lettuce, tomatoes, and other ingredients, and only left the two loaves of bread. Then they wrapped it back up and put it back. They even drank my protein shake leaving only the container. Really?

I started writing my name on my lunch after that, to no avail. It couldn't have been more than two days later when I opened the fridge to get out my beef stew lunch, only to find that someone picked out all of the beef and potatoes only leaving behind carrots floating in brown stew. How they did this, I don't know. I threw it out because I figured they used their hands to take out the ingredients they wanted.

The next week I brought in a lunchbox with my name and a big do not touch sign on it. Same thing, that week more of my lunches went completely missing. First my Steak/broccoli/sweet potatoes lunch totally disappeared with not trace. About half of my drinks that week also went missing. Everything from bottled water and even my protein shakes disappeared. I also brought a container with milk and someone drank half of it and left the rest. There were even the outline of lips around the top of the container.

I finally went to the boss, not wanting to make a scene as a new employee. He sent out an e-mail highlighting the repercussions of what will happen to someone who gets caught stealing lunch. He even said that there may or may not be cameras being placed around the lunchroom. You would think it would end right? Wrong. It continued. I was about to take my (in tact) chicken and rice lunch out of the fridge when the fire alarm went off. We all left for a fire drill, and when we came back and went back the fridge almost immediately and guess what was missing? My lunch. How they pulled that off, to this day I have no clue. At that point I decided to take matters into my own hands and began thinking of how to right this wrong.

The next Monday I brought some more beef stew in my "Do not touch my lunch!" labeled lunchbox, and this time I put an entire 10 pack of dulcolax in the broth. I skipped lunch that day and kept an eye out for anyone acting funny. Eventually the person who sits directly behind me, a woman I would have called one of my favorite coworkers, got up and went to the bathroom. Within two minutes of coming back, she got up and went again. And again. And again. I went to check on my lunch and you guessed it, it was gone. And again she ran to the bathroom. Eventually she got up a fourth or fifth time with quivering legs and soiled her pants (and the carpet too) right there in front of everyone, standing up in plain sight. I'm sorry but it was hilarious and I was trying so hard not to burst out laughing. The woman behind me who I had trusted was the one who was stealing my lunches all of this time.

No one's lunches ever disappeared again.
That is so awesome!

Old 01-26-2015, 01:53 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
There are various high-pitched alarms that you can get for not a lot of money that you can have trigger when someone opens a lunch-box etc. You then look to see who came running out of the lunchroom.

Also, anymore you could easily set up a go-pro and film the culprit yourself....but that could get into legal things regarding taping people secretly etc.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:03 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,498 times
They sell super, super hot sauce. Stuff with millions of Scoville units. Would probably go real well in chili or taco meat. Just sayin'...

Old 01-26-2015, 02:09 PM

920 posts, read 633,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irco View Post
This is true my first job right out of high school was working as a contract night janitor. On one particular assignment we had to clean a Legal firms office building. The building had a mini kitchen area with lots of snacks. We would gladly help ourselves to these snacks. Needless to say we were fired from that job because the office workers got tired of seeing their snacks vanish and complained to our boss.

You were lucky! I worked at a personal injury law firm and one of the attorneys came in late one night and saw a piece of cake in the fridge and ate it. The next morning everyone was searching for that piece of cake....it was evidence for a case where there was broken glass in the cake and it had slashed our client's mouth severely. The attorney (a partner) was extremely upset at himself for taking something that wasn't his and potentially damaging the case. After that, we would put signs on things that said "Evidence, Do not eat!" And when I say things, I mean boxes of documents, staplers,... He never lived it down!

Old 01-26-2015, 02:23 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,462 times
I don't see how it could possibly be illegal to put something that is okay for human consumption into your own lunch. As long as you put the item into your lunch that is clearly marked for your consumption only, how can anyone legally charge you if a co-worker steals your lunch, eats it and gets sick? Whether it be Ex-Lax, hot sauce, whatever. Good luck finding any police or prosecutor that would even have you arrested, let alone actually prosecute you. If it's in your lunch labeled with your name, you have complete deniablilty that you had any intention of causing harm. All the stories posted here of people getting into trouble; the Ex-lax was put into something like a cake left in the lunchroom where a reasonable person would assume other people would think it's okay to eat. Nobody who's reasonable would think it's okay to eat someone else's labeled lunch.

I personally would use chopped up habaneros or ghost peppers just because I think they would work faster than the Ex-lax (it would be pretty easy to pick out the red-faced, sweating guilty party and from what I've heard enough of these peppers can make someone who's not used to them very sick for several hours and it's supposed to be very painful when they finally pass out the other end of the body as well). The peppers also provide an extra level of deniability since they are actually food that some people would put in their lunch. I also like the dog peeing on the sandwich and the detection powder ideas.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:27 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
From the break room. This is now the third time and I'm pretty cheesed off. I had a whole 6 pack of hot pockets and a frozen Marie calendar meal, both are gone. Not in the freezer at all. Yesterday my Tupperware which had leftovers in it disappeared. About 2 weeks ago another frozen meal disappeared. This is ridiculous...is this something I can go to HR about? Or is there not even really anything they can do? I'm starving right now. And pissed.

Purchase a cooler and a freezer pack and do not put your food in the break room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment