Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 08:13 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
this is more of a vent thread

i fit into this category, but as i chat with more and more people and even interview candidates, i realize there is an overwhelming number of young adults that are 100k+/annual salary by age 25. keep in mind i went to a very popular high ranked college in texas and live in texas too. i feel like everyone i personally know that has graduated with an engineering, computer sci, or business bachelor degree is making 6 digits by age 25. it's crazy, people graduate with like 80k starting salary in entry level jobs here. keep in mind they are smart people and have a reputable degree

thinking back, my parents born in the mid 1900s didn't make 6 digits until like age 35-40+. so based on this, in 20 years, will undergraduates have their first job after graduation pay 6 digits?
Are you adjusting for inflation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 08:13 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:

i fit into this category, but as i chat with more and more people and even interview candidates, i realize there is an overwhelming number of young adults that are 100k+/annual salary by age 25. keep in mind i went to a very popular high ranked college in texas and live in texas too. i feel like everyone i personally know that has graduated with an engineering, computer sci, or business bachelor degree is making 6 digits by age 25. it's crazy, people graduate with like 80k starting salary in entry level jobs here. keep in mind they are smart people and have a reputable degree

thinking back, my parents born in the mid 1900s didn't make 6 digits until like age 35-40+. so based on this, in 20 years, will undergraduates have their first job after graduation pay 6 digits?
Only 6% of American earn 100K or more, and I doubt most of them are in their twenties, as this percentage has not been growing. These people also live all over the country, even in NYC, SF, and DC most people earn far less than that. You are misinformed if you believe an overwhelming number of young adults earn that much. 75% of Americans earn less than 50K, and 50% earn less than 25K.

Last edited by detshen; 01-25-2015 at 08:23 PM..

Old 01-25-2015, 08:20 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times
Keep in mind too that some people lie about what they make...

Old 01-25-2015, 08:24 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Hmmm...
Up Here they talk of young college grads who come out with an average of $25k-$30k in student loan debt and are LUCKY if they can get a $25K/year job! AND cannot afford their student loans, let alone rent or a mortgage.

Yes, here, at least, wages have "flatlined" since about 1985-1990. My spouse and I would KILL to make $100K/year. At any three jobs combined. I also could not go to a "highly rated college", had to settle for the local college...but I had relatively little in student loan debt {SLD}. I wonder how much SLD the O.P. has to pay off? MAYBE $100k is NEEDED to pay off $150K-$200K, or even just $50K in SLD. Or did wealthy parents pay for it?

I also find it interesting that the O.P. has "800 friends" all of whom make 6 figures each. I don't think in my whole life {I'm 51} I've had 800 "friends" total-let me see that would be over 15 NEW friends each year of my life...but thanks to "facebook followers" or other kinds of "tech friends", the O.P. Does! {we never had such a thing way back in those dark ages...a phone alone required finger dialing}. How DOES one find time to keep up with 800 people??? DOES one really know one's "followers"? Lets see...800- thats breakfast/lunch or dinner with at least 2 people per day for a whole year NOT ever having another meal with the same person again for a whole year...One WOULD need $100K alone to eat out that many times! ANd my, just a 2 minute "conversation" {with just one} of the "800 friends" per day would require over 26 hours per week, just to "catch up" with all 800!!!

In short, I am glad {or is that "pleased"?} for the O.P. who has such a good income and so many close friends! A NEW generation of friended Millionaires is coming up! Amazing!
NOT sour grapes,mind you, but just interesting...

Old 01-25-2015, 09:20 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
I don't ask my friends what they make. You can generally guess based on their occupation, where they live etc. Salary isn't everything. My salary is probably better than about 80% of my millennial cohort, but my extras (I actually have a 401k and a pension, good yet inexpensive health insurance etc.) are probably better than about 90+% of my peers.

$100k however, is that invisible holy grail that signifies that you've "made it"; at least in a moderate COL area. Unless you're in STEM, sales or the trades, $100k is often a sign that you are in or close to being in a management role.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:44 PM

219 posts, read 331,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena777 View Post
You... know the salaries of 600 different people, do you? People you know from the Facebook, and believe that they were totes honest with you?
Yea seriously, I only know the salaries of a fraction of my facebook friends and only the ones I have worked with. How can you know the salaries of all 600-800 friends? As someone else pointed out previously, only 6-7% of Americans earn a personal income of 100k or more and only 20% of households earn that much or more. Most of these salaries are also earned by people over the age of 25. Don't take my word for it; all of this data has been released by the IRS.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:17 AM

491 posts, read 471,556 times
Quote:

Not me. I'm 30 and I made $17k last year.

I know, lucky me, right? : /

Old 01-26-2015, 01:35 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,014 times
i broke the 6 figure mark when i made $120k when i was 26 years old way back in the 90s. i was in software engineering. it was definitely a lot more than my friends at the time.

today, entry level software engineers at my company make over $100k. these are 21 year old kids fresh out of undergrad. most of them went to top schools but not all (mostly Cal, stanfurd, mit, michigan, illinois, etc.).

in texas, if you studied computer science at Rice, you can start with over $100k.

but this is software engineering. other fields will vary.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:27 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times
I think it depends on the company too. A non profit will pay less than for profit. I work at a non profit with several mit engineers and they could make more somewhere else. sometimes a companies mission is more attractive I guess. Liberals. Lol.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:44 AM

406 posts, read 559,110 times
It's all relative. Someone in San Francisco might make 100K at 25, but after paying the outrageous cost of living, they have barely anything to put into savings. Even so, I'm guessing the majority of college grads start at MUCH less than that.

I'm pretty close to that number on my own and in a low cost of living area, but after mortgage and student loans for a combined 12 years of college (including wife), it really doesn't carry as far as you'd think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment