Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 12:34 PM

17,693 posts, read 29,691,842 times

Advertisements

No.
I left after 1 year.
I was 23.
Was told I could not be promoted unless I got a PhD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 12:36 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,810,489 times
no never. 1 of the easiest/best ways to get a promotion or pay bump is to go to another company

Old 01-25-2015, 12:40 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,310,981 times
True. Why do so many places rarely promote from within anymore

Old 01-25-2015, 01:12 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,010,529 times
I'm in my 50's also.
On this job 19 years, decent money plus available overtime, pension, 401 K, union covered, I'll go from 4- to 5 weeks vacation starting next year, a job I can do blindfolded, I know the short cuts, I know the management, I know which co-workers to trust which, not to. No real "office politics."

I couldn't care LESS that there's no chance for promotion. I wouldn't WANT a promotion with this company because I see how they treat people who get promoted...a title but no real authority. I'll stay a grunt thanks very much.

I've been mentally checked out for years...just coasting until retirement. I'm done. I earn just enough brownie points for the boss to think I care. Promotion?...."I don't need no stinking promotion"

Old 01-25-2015, 01:13 PM

305 posts, read 722,157 times
If it keeps the kids fed, yes.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:43 PM

698 posts, read 957,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I am ok with where I am in some ways but since its kind of entry level i Imagine people want folks in these positions to move on. I work at a startup so it's tough to tell what will become of the company. Seems like people leave every week then new people come on board.

I wish I'd stayed at the last place I worked at. Seems like most people just retire there and there's not lots of pressure to move up.
You're young and have a long work life/career ahead of you. It can't hurt to update your resume and start looking around. You won't know what opportunities are available if you don't look and apply. Go on a few interviews, you could decide that staying where you are is just fine or you might land a cool, new job.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:04 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,645,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
True. Why do so many places rarely promote from within anymore
In my company, a Non-profit, nepotism is the first consideration. Someones relative who cannot make it on their own gets first consideration, then, they invoke "the grass is always greener" theory. Ya Know, an outsider is always better. I wont get promoted, I was the greener grass at one time, but I pnly have a few more years to go until retirement. Don't want to upset the cart with so little time left.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:24 PM

685 posts, read 717,950 times
If I was still working, I'd take anything I could get. If that meant staying in the same job and being bored out of my head, I'd do it. When I was laid off in info tech as a multiple role person, I applied for a job I had done many years before but was not for a beginner. I also cut my salary to one that would fit the position. The interviewer's response was I'd jump ship when a better job came around. That was baloney. A job that paid less that I had done was better than no job.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:32 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,912,897 times
Yes. I worked as an ophthalmic manager before. I didn't like it nearly as much as doing the dirty work of ophthalmic technician. Management is just a pain, IMO. As technician, the tasks were more varied, fun, and I didn't have to deal with all the complaining from my underlings and fixing everyone else's problems. After I left the managerial job, I applied for a technician position elsewhere, which I got, took a slight pay cut, and was happier.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:03 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,359,217 times
I'd probably not. I'm too competitive. Plus I'd like more money. But some people are not ambitious. If you like your coworkers and job and are getting raises, it may be OK to stay put. If you are bored, you can take the energy and put it into your outside interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment