Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 01:11 PM

615 posts, read 724,699 times

Advertisements

Everyone thinks they're a loser if they don't get to be a Marine Biologist, Surgeon, Engineer, etc. Well, guess what? There is a finite demand for people to work in those fields. Only so many people can hold "cool", well paying jobs. In some cases, the barriers of entry set the amount of people who are allowed into a particular profession (e.g. Medicine). Life is one big competiton and the job market is no exception. Entering professions that pay a living wage is only going to get more competitive. Develop a killer instinct if you want to have a decent job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 01:41 PM

6,129 posts, read 7,965,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
Everyone thinks they're a loser if they don't get to be a Marine Biologist, Surgeon, Engineer, etc. Well, guess what? There is a finite demand for people to work in those fields. Only so many people can hold "cool", well paying jobs. In some cases, the barriers of entry set the amount of people who are allowed into a particular profession (e.g. Medicine). Life is one big competiton and the job market is no exception. Entering professions that pay a living wage is only going to get more competitive. Develop a killer instinct if you want to have a decent job.
How do you come up with this nonsense?

"Speak for 'thee' and not for 'we'."

Old 01-25-2015, 01:52 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,091,324 times
Not all people want those professions. There are others across many industries that work hard and move up in their fields, From Bankers to bricklayers. Many may live comfortably and have full lives and families and be quite happy with that. Some start their own businesses and are a success. Certainly "Everybody" is not walking around depressed. Things are harder nowadays but not all are required to be an engineer, surgeon etc.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,346 posts, read 80,679,251 times
Tracking in schools, trophies for all players in little league, soccer and other youth sports, and that whole "everyone is a winner" thing that started in the 80s is a big part of the reason that so many young adults now are unprepared to compete for jobs and homes. Not training them to compete at an early age was a disservice, and a failure on the part of academia.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:59 PM

12,711 posts, read 8,933,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Tracking in schools, trophies for all players in little league, soccer and other youth sports, and that whole "everyone is a winner" thing that started in the 80s is a big part of the reason that so many young adults now are unprepared to compete for jobs and homes. Not training them to compete at an early age was a disservice, and a failure on the part of academia.
This seems to be a common theme in people's minds, but after actually working with youth in sports and scouting, I no longer believe it. When they were little, yeah, they got a trophy, but there were most interested in Dairy Queen, and yes, even the little kids knew what the score was, even when we didn't keep one. Then they got older and competitions became real.

Or as my daughter would say "Yes, we all got a trophy. Then we turned six."

The problem isn't the kids, it's the parents who won't let them be winners or losers. And that's not to protect the kids but the parents own egos.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:54 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,311,603 times
There are many other jobs besides surgeon and engineer. there seem to be an abundance of engineers where I live (boston) so they don't seem super special but it does take a special person to be a surgeon I think. And sadly this week in boston a surgeon was shot dead by a crazed patient. Scary times we live in.

All that aside, my advice is find something u like to do that pays decently.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:12 PM

384 posts, read 506,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The problem isn't the kids, it's the parents who won't let them be winners or losers. And that's not to protect the kids but the parents own egos.
Yep! Totally agree.

And to the subject as presented by the OP I find blanket generalizations to be generally useless.

I would also note that I know people of every age group that expects a whole lot of something for nothing, and thinks the world owes them not just a living, but wide ranging success. But, again, I like to blame that particular person (and secondarily their parents ). Generalizing doesn't usually solve much of anything.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:45 AM

266 posts, read 284,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
How's your job search going.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:38 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,734,329 times
This thread reminds me of a scene from The Breakfast Club:

Brian Johnson: [after Brian explains his F in shop; he failed because he couldn't make a functioning lamp] Did you know without trigonometry, there'd be no engineering?
Bender: Without lamps, there'd be no light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment