Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:10 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
3. I don't claim to know all however when it comes to technology there is a proper way to do things and a way that doesn't exist. That's the beauty of technology, you can't argue with it. It's not subjective. Either you want accurate data by following the proper protocol or you get nonsense that someone tells you. I guess i'm wrong for trying to do it the right way?
When they are talking about Rabbit Holes and what not, they are probably thinking that something has been tried/done before, or, there isn't much benefit to doing what you are doing/pursuing.

Also, you can argue with technology. There is the science piece, but, there is an art to how to accomplish things. Sometimes, people get so stuck on the system/technology piece that they don't see the bigger pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 10:15 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
When they are talking about Rabbit Holes and what not, they are probably thinking that something has been tried/done before, or, there isn't much benefit to doing what you are doing/pursuing.

Also, you can argue with technology. There is the science piece, but, there is an art to how to accomplish things. Sometimes, people get so stuck on the system/technology piece that they don't see the bigger pictures.
Bingo.

Sure, working with systems can involve science but it's kind of like math (which is a "hard" science)...2+2=4 but so does 3+1. There are different ways to get at things. That's part of what I meant by being rigid.

People who have more experience know more. OP may need to be more open and flexible rather than thinking he's right about how to go about things.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:26 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
Perhaps people, or your boss will be redundant once the project is complete.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:38 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post

Perfectly stated.

Things could be wrong in the manager's eyes for several reasons. The OP could be drilling down too far into details that don't impact anything important, overthinking things, missing details that are critical to the big picture, overall lack of common sense in the approach. Based on feedback from the manager it sounds like the OP may be trying to correct and ends up going from one extreme to the next.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:10 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Office politics or normal office behavior?
Office politics IS normal office behavior.
Better learn how to cope.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:57 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I had a job like this. It sounds as if you are having a hard time understanding the scope of work. You may think you do (I totally did).

I was given a task that was very black and white. Take numbers from one spreadsheet and put them on another. I did exactly what I thought was needed.

However it wasn't. Hindsight is 20/20 and looking back I see her frustration and what I was doing wrong. I wasn't able to step back and observe what was necessary. My work product was too narrow at first. Then I used too many outside resources (not figuring it out for myself).

For me, I didn't like working for a company that didn't have team players. Instead of sitting down and working together to create something I was left to wonder. It was part of the company culture, you are thrown into the deep end, sink or swim.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:31 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Quote:
I am working as an analyst for a small company (50 people) and it is my first job out of college. I have been at this job for about 6 months.

I have never refused any work, complained about any of my duties, and have not missed any deadlines. I have been to work early and my presence is known. I have explicitly been told by my boss that everyone considers me to be intelligent and that they enjoy working with me.

The projects that I have been given have been delegated to me through his boss and other departments. I am essentially being borrowed as a resource for other teams.

I give weekly updates on my projects and it seems everything I am doing seems to be wrong in his eyes even though I am following the instructions of the other departments. Last week seemed to be the boiling point as my boss chewed me out in front of my team members for using too many resources from other departments to complete a company audit of resources.

My boss was actually in the meeting with me and his boss for this project and he heard it himself that the end goal of this project is to identify redundancies, use of external and unapproved software, and possible standardization across the company. I do not see what I am doing as wrong as I am handling the project by splitting it into two phases: an in-person interview and a complete hardware scan. It is the only way to get a complete picture of what websites people are using and the installed software on their systems.

The problem now is my boss's contradictory behavior when it comes to our weekly one-on-ones. I do not seem to be able to get onto the same page as him on the projects I am working on. I will get criticized for completing work too quickly and then criticized for going down rabbit holes. It's either I am working too fast for the office or I am working too long on a project. There also seems to be no basis for his criticism other than his complete ignorance of the project scope.

Also the VP of another department wants to get me onto his team as a permanent resource. This VP is directly in a "resource war" with my boss. I feel that this is also impacting how my boss is treating me.

Is this normal behavior within an office environment? I do not see myself staying at this company beyond a year at this point due to the environment.
I am seriously beginning to think that all workplaces are breeding grounds for psychopaths. My boss gives me a new project that she supposedly wants to be successful, then allows her assistant to sabotage the project, then praises me for saving it, then does the same thing again. I'm planning a department change. Start plotting your way out now. It never seems to get better, only worse.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:57 PM

589 posts, read 1,220,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Perfectly stated.

Things could be wrong in the manager's eyes for several reasons. The OP could be drilling down too far into details that don't impact anything important, overthinking things, missing details that are critical to the big picture, overall lack of common sense in the approach. Based on feedback from the manager it sounds like the OP may be trying to correct and ends up going from one extreme to the next.
I guess I didn't explain the situation very clearly. I am doing an audit of installed software and databases on all employee systems. If you want 100% accurate information, the only way to do this is via a system wide scan handled by the system admin. There is no alternative solution to this UNLESS you want to sacrifice the accuracy of the information of the report.

I don't hear much other than someone assuming I have an attitude problem at the work place, which I don't. I even stated there are other departments who want to poach me from my current reporting manager.

This is in the IT field and my first job after I graduated with my Masters. I have about 5 years experience before this job when I was working on my degree and never faced a situation where I received backlash for trying to get accurate information.

Platitudes do nothing but prove to me you don't really produce anything or work in an environment where results matter.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:06 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Quote:
I am working as an analyst for a small company (50 people) and it is my first job out of college. I have been at this job for about 6 months.

I have never refused any work, complained about any of my duties, and have not missed any deadlines. I have been to work early and my presence is known. I have explicitly been told by my boss that everyone considers me to be intelligent and that they enjoy working with me.

The projects that I have been given have been delegated to me through his boss and other departments. I am essentially being borrowed as a resource for other teams.

I give weekly updates on my projects and it seems everything I am doing seems to be wrong in his eyes even though I am following the instructions of the other departments. Last week seemed to be the boiling point as my boss chewed me out in front of my team members for using too many resources from other departments to complete a company audit of resources.

My boss was actually in the meeting with me and his boss for this project and he heard it himself that the end goal of this project is to identify redundancies, use of external and unapproved software, and possible standardization across the company. I do not see what I am doing as wrong as I am handling the project by splitting it into two phases: an in-person interview and a complete hardware scan. It is the only way to get a complete picture of what websites people are using and the installed software on their systems.

The problem now is my boss's contradictory behavior when it comes to our weekly one-on-ones. I do not seem to be able to get onto the same page as him on the projects I am working on. I will get criticized for completing work too quickly and then criticized for going down rabbit holes. It's either I am working too fast for the office or I am working too long on a project. There also seems to be no basis for his criticism other than his complete ignorance of the project scope.

Also the VP of another department wants to get me onto his team as a permanent resource. This VP is directly in a "resource war" with my boss. I feel that this is also impacting how my boss is treating me.

Is this normal behavior within an office environment? I do not see myself staying at this company beyond a year at this point due to the environment.
Possible things that are obvious from the highlighted points:
1. You are in the middle of a territorial dispute between your boss and his boss or other departments.
2. Your boss and his boss have not communicated well to identify the goals, expectations, and scope of the project.
3. Your boss may be threatened by you/his boss/the project results...
4. All of the above

Assuming you are, in fact, intelligent as well as educated (not mutually inclusive btw) you need to tread carefully. Regardless of your skills in the field, your real world experience has probably not adequately prepared you for what is happening here. It would be to your benefit to keep impeccable notes, project timelines, and communicate clearly what you are doing and why to both individuals as much as possible. CC everyone on everything to make your work as transparent as possible. It looks tome like you could very well become collateral damage in an office war.

Good luck.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:18 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
I guess I didn't explain the situation very clearly. I am doing an audit of installed software and databases on all employee systems. If you want 100% accurate information, the only way to do this is via a system wide scan handled by the system admin. There is no alternative solution to this UNLESS you want to sacrifice the accuracy of the information of the report.

I don't hear much other than someone assuming I have an attitude problem at the work place, which I don't. I even stated there are other departments who want to poach me from my current reporting manager.

This is in the IT field and my first job after I graduated with my Masters. I have about 5 years experience before this job when I was working on my degree and never faced a situation where I received backlash for trying to get accurate information.

Platitudes do nothing but prove to me you don't really produce anything or work in an environment where results matter.

Again, very telling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment