Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 02:16 PM

15 posts, read 62,693 times

Advertisements

I really like my supervisor, but he is pressuring me into taking on an additional title at work that I really do not want. I would not mind taking on certain parts of this new job, but one aspect of it (a public outreach part) really does not suit me and I have no interest in the task. I have two other jobs right now, so I do not need this additional title. Plus, I only get paid $8.75 an hour and the schedule of this new position fluctuates throughout the year, so I almost think it is more stress than it's worth. The way I see it, lots of people are looking for jobs right now, so I am sure with a little effort we could find someone to take it on.

I do not want to disappoint me supervisor, but I also really do not want to take on this new position (or the public outreach part, at least). The only reason I haven't turned it down officially is because I feel guilty. How would you approach this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 02:33 PM

344 posts, read 551,050 times
Do you trust your supervisor enough to tell the truth about why you are not interested? Might be that your position could remold into something new without the public outreach part, which would still leave a new position available.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedy View Post
Do you trust your supervisor enough to tell the truth about why you are not interested? Might be that your position could remold into something new without the public outreach part, which would still leave a new position available.
I can talk to my supervisor pretty openly (since he has talked to me that way from the start), but unfortunately my supervisor is sick with a chronic disease and that is why he wanted to hand this over to me (so he could cut back on hours). I am really having a hard time not feeling guilted into doing it for this reason.

I think I will talk to him either way...but I am finding it hard not to feel bad. I know I need to look out for myself, though.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:48 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Just be honest but leave out some parts. Say you cannot take it on because you don't think it would be a good fit and you are already stretched thin.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:02 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
"I really appreciate the opportunity you've presented to me, but I feel I'm better suited to what I'm doing now, so I'm going to decline."

Old 01-26-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
"I really appreciate the opportunity you've presented to me, but I feel I'm better suited to what I'm doing now, so I'm going to decline."
Thank you for the idea.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:11 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,900 times
I worst Jon you can have is one you don't like

Old 01-26-2015, 07:00 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
I'd tell him he's lucky I even show up for work for $9 an hour. You may want to tell him that you have other obligations and that you are not interested, but you appreciated the opportunity/his confidence in you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment