Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 01:27 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,468,522 times

Advertisements

If this isn't some mom and pop employer I'm guessing they worded it in a way that they know will be legal. I doubt they just put it in there without checking with their legal department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 01:33 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,382,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
If this isn't some mom and pop employer I'm guessing they worded it in a way that they know will be legal. I doubt they just put it in there without checking with their legal department.
Big prestigious companies create non-competes that are routinely tossed out by the courts. Sometimes they hope the existence of the clause is enough to intimidate the employees into compliance.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:28 PM

202 posts, read 264,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Including a clause about relocation costs is standard and is smart business. Paying relocation fees is an investment in someone. Why should a company foot the bill for a person to move when that was their only goal and they never intended on staying with the company long term? You just know some people would do that if they could.
I understand it's costly, but it's the company's fault for not investigating enough into the hired worker. The employer should make sure the newly hired employees intentions aren't going to work only for a month and leave. They can do this by stating in the interview that they must work for the company at least a year, and have them sign an agreement on it.

I'm also a firm believer that nobody can blame you for leaving another employer offers you higher pay and better career advancement opportunities.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:43 PM

57 posts, read 109,055 times
ya and I agree with paying bonuses or relocation expenses but I just never saw that before.

Probably should of read it before I signed , although still probably would of signed it anyways.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:47 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,002,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan123 View Post
ya and I agree with paying bonuses or relocation expenses but I just never saw that before.

Probably should of read it before I signed , although still probably would of signed it anyways.
aaarrggh! Grammar rant. Correct English usage is "would have". If you must, use the contraction would've.

Sorry, please continue.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:43 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,303,616 times
If it's a sales job, sometimes the "salary" isn't really a salary it's a draw against commission.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:21 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,426,192 times
the reality is that they aren't going to do anything other than bother you if you leave. they would have to sue you, get a judgement against you, then send it to collections after you don't pay, etc.

it's a lot of work and a high cost to them to do all of that and no board of directors will approve it because all they care about is $.

i had a job once that had a relocation clause in it. if you leave within 2 years, you owe a prorated amount of the relocation assistance. the company always sent a bunch of official looking documents asking for payment...most people never paid...you'd be blacklisted from ever being hired again at the company and that was it.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:26 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,382,398 times
I agree you should call the Dept of Labor and ask if this is legal. I think not. And I agree that companies often put illegal clauses in contracts - either their "lawyers" are inept, or they are hoping to get away with it because everyone will assume it must be legal if it's in their contract.

But, if the law says it's not legal, then that portion of the contract is not enforceable.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:33 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,035,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
How is it cheap to spend 20k to relocate someone then have them quit after 3 months and want the 20k back?
And this does happen.

I was talking to a boss the other day who had an employee who left 13 months after getting relocated, at an employer that requires employees to pay back relo if they leave within a year. Boss found out during that year that the employee's spouse had taken a job in our city and the spouse's job didn't pay for relocation. It eventually became clear that the employee didn't really want the job after all, she just wanted the relocation.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:56 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,808,367 times
It does seem like a company could require an employee/former employee to pay back the costs of professional certifications or credentials. I'm not suggesting that is the case here, but that does seem reasonable. There are a couple of certifications in my industry that cost a lot of money to obtain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment