Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 12:00 PM

406 posts, read 559,507 times

Advertisements

Day 4... I work at our headquarters in a nearby city on Thursdays. From my understanding, he was also coming in to the headquarters today. Have not seen him though... However, large building and fair size company (~8,000 employees), so maybe he's hiding out somewhere in the cube farm.

I wonder if maybe they told him not to bother coming in today...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 12:06 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Please keep us posted. I am curious as to how this will turn out.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:37 PM

334 posts, read 585,347 times
I hope he's okay and that things turn out well for him. You can never know what is going on in someone's life.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:42 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Yeah, a prospective new hire.

Looks fit, needs the job badly as he has a baby and wife to take care of. He's overdue on rent and cupboards are bare, with tears in his eyes he tells us what a hard worker he is and how badly he needs a job.

Our work is construction and sometimes it's hard work in adverse conditions.

Our work day starts at 7:30 and new employee is on time but at 11:30 it's lunch time and the new employee disappears, vaporizes really, into the thin air never to be heard from again. We owe him four hours work, his payroll check is printed, signed and ready for him to pick up anytime he wants it but our man, who with tears in his eyes told us how desperate he was for a job, has yet to pick it up. It's been over six months now and his check is still waiting.

If you're under 30, Anglo or Black you can forget it, don't want you. Undocumented workers (see how politically correct I am?) from south of the border know how to show up on time every single day and how to work. Like Obama's new Attorney General said before Congress, just yesterday, undocumented workers have a right to work in this country and being a minority we can not be accused of racism, sexism, homophobicism, transgenerismphobiaism or any other of the ism's the left loves to throw at businesses that hire just one race.

Well, John Boy, if you're white, under 30, of average to slightly above average intelligence President Obama has made sure there's Section 8 housing, food stamps and Medicaid for you now and into the future. Not a bad deal really, you'll never have to work and how cool is that?

WhereTF did you get that idea? It is very difficult for childless working-age adults to get Section 8 housing. And there's still no Medicaid for John Boy in about half the states.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:28 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
WhereTF did you get that idea? It is very difficult for childless working-age adults to get Section 8 housing. And there's still no Medicaid for John Boy in about half the states.
NO adult without children should get Section 8. There just isn't enough to go around, so there has to be priorities. Children first (and their parents), then, if anything is left over the disabled and handicapped.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:50 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
My son's 16 and trying to figure out what kind of job he wants. Throughout his life, I've hammered a strong work ethic into his head. I flat out told him that he probably won't have money for 'brand name' universities, will have no important connections in any field, but will have the best manners and the strongest work ethic of anyone. Might be harder to get his foot in the door, but once it's in, it's staying in.
Unfortunately in the modern workplace he probably will end up with an employer who uses him up, never quite has enough profit to offer him a raise & always finds a reason to promote someone ahead of him. Hard working and underpaid employees are guarded like San Quentin!

That said I am Mr. 8:10 and I would have told him to find the office on day one but to go home and treat day two as his actual start date. And if it happened on day two that would be curtains.

I personally am all for flex tie but it has to be clearly communicated. ie- I'll arrive at 9 and work to 6 consistently or I worked through last weekend so I will take a 1/2 day or day off next week. I always make sure whoever I work for/with understands the reasoning. And sometimes they need to know because I am working longer, harder because someone else or a sub has passed on incomplete or substandard work that I was unaware should have been further along. That has actually happened to me before & if I hadn't conveyed the situation we both would have been unaware of the problem.

I look forward to hearing the post-mortem on this guy.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:52 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
How does hard-working preclude ability to stick up for oneself?

Obviously my comment was mis-understood by some people, including the one who repped me telling me I was a failure as a parent for teaching my son to have a strong work ethic.

It's like the popular idea that nice = doormat. The correlations are simply untrue.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:03 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
NO adult without children should get Section 8. There just isn't enough to go around, so there has to be priorities. Children first (and their parents), then, if anything is left over the disabled and handicapped.

A lot of childless adults totally resent the idea that irresponsible people can get on the gravy train by popping out a kid. Especially when they are paying taxes to support those kids yet can't afford more than a crummy room in a crummy neighborhood.

Section 8 should subsidize apartments for families -and rooms for childless adults.

Of course, my ideal solution would be for government to just stop artificially restricting the supply of housing, and then let supply and demand do its invisible hand thing.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:26 PM

532 posts, read 958,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4mb View Post
True!

Have a new employee where I work -- 3 months. He has been late for every reason you can think of, either late or doesn't come in at all.

Tomorrow is his last day -- my company is too fair at times, he has to know, he had a meeting with our boss last week and she spelled everything out, he told her he would change, be there on time blah, blah, blah, nope. My boss is very nice and feels bad about having to terminate him. I said I hate to see anyone lose their job, but look at it like this -- it's not a matter of trying hard but not able to pick up the job, it's not a matter of his manager not liking him, this is 100% in his hands, he has made the choice to put everything before work and when there is nothing left, then he'll come in to work -- nope, the real world doesn't work that way.

And if he acts like this when he's new, then imagine once he relaxes into the job........

And his reasons are these long drawn out dramas.

Plus all of his questions to me have to do with vacations, additional time off, etc., I feel like telling him, right now I would just concentrate on getting to work on time, every day.

He is young, so hopefully he will learn, otherwise he's going to have a very hard time getting and keeping a job.
Update: Employee who had Mon & Tue off (we are a 7 day a week company), didn't make it in Wed, doesn't really matter much now he has sealed his own fate. He did come in today (guess he couldn't find anything else to do with his time), my boss brought him in, explained everything very nicely, and said these are the reasons we are terminating him.

He actually asked her if there wasn't anything she could do? Seriously? In less than 3 months you have been late countless times, not come in at all a handful, sometimes called us and let us know and other times, nothing. 3 people (all managers) have spoken to him about this, last week our manager had him sign off on the main issues and he promised her he would change and now asks her if she can help him keep his job?

She was very nice and explained why she could not, that she has tried just a week ago. He did say that he didn't take it seriously enough.

I hope he learned a valuable lesson........

Old 01-30-2015, 02:56 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
I spent the last 2 years working in Australia where, more or less, if you show up to work too early people start asking you if you need help. If you stay late people ask you, "well WTF you been doing all day, mate? It's time for beers. Why isn't your work finished?" That's not to say that big projects with impending deadlines wouldn't have people working a little extra but, generally speaking the work culture is that if you can't finish your work in a standard work day you're either incompetent or you're screwing around during the day.

I found it refreshing.

Besides, if you're paying me for 2,080 hours a year that's what you're going to get. I'm not a charitable foundation. If you need me to work overtime, that's fine, but you also need to pay me for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment