Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 03:17 PM

527 posts, read 706,491 times

Advertisements

As some of you may know, my son will graduate within next few weeks with a Sociology degree and Minor in General Business; he has many years of experience in retail. He just started working as a recruiter coordinator at a small company with no previous recruting experience. Today was his second day working at the company and he is disappointed by the lack of training; they expect him to search around different systems and websites, and is setting up a phone training of a software next few days. He was expecting them to sit down and train him all day long in depth, rather than asking him "are you OK" and bla and letting him look around the sites they use with no clue. They asked him to bring his own laptop, which I believe is ridiculous and cheap of them not providing him with one especially since the owner is wealthy with previous work he has done and managed multi million dollar companies.

Another big cons is that they offer no benefits at all; no paid vacation/sick days/holidays, no health insurace no nothing. He just get paid for the hours he works (8-4 M-F job) and no real lunch break (but he is allowed to leave the office for short time if wanted, and noticed the other employees left for 20 min and came back and ate at their desk). Is this common at small businesses? It truly suck

He gets paid only $15/h with small bonus (few dollars more than his current retail job!) Yes, he is happy he got a full time job even before graduating, but it feels like this is like another retail job except no work on weekends/nights. He only applied to few jobs and had an interview at a great large company with benefits but offered position to somebody else. He rejected an interview with Enterprise since he just got this job and heard bad reviews working there (long hours, low pay & having to wash cars).

What tips do you have? When should he be lookin for another better paying job with benefits and actual salary? He doesn't even know what holidays the company is closed for.

Please help he feel unhappy and somewhat depressed already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 03:22 PM

514 posts, read 761,651 times
The job sounds like crap, but what realistically are his options? He can start looking for a new job, but with a degree in sociology, that is probably all he will end up doing is looking. If he really wants a cushy corporate job, making good money with lavish benefits, he will need to train in a high-demand career, such as finance or information technology or engineering. Sales is a bleak career path wherever you go, particularly because the job has become so difficult in this age of technology. We are living in a time of almost infinite information, and consumers with easy access to information are a salesman's worst nightmare.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:26 PM

493 posts, read 977,567 times
Unfortunately the career options for Sociology grads are minimal. He can try to find other recruiter jobs, or try for retail management, or look for jobs that don't require a specific degree. Tech support, military, or police officer come to mind, he might also be able to become a teacher, depending on the state (different states have different requirements). Otherwise, going back to school is an option (an MBA could open doors, and a minor in business might let him skip some pre-reqs) or a trade job that provides detailed training like an electrician.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:26 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,122,363 times
You have the great benefit of helping eachother out as you guys learn about the industry. Your son is a recruiter coordinator at one company and you are at another. The two different experiences you guys get will give you an edge in learning more quickly.

I think it's great that you two have the exact same job:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
I will start working after getting an offer as a Recruiter Coordinator at a medium-sized company. I never worked as a Recruiter before. What tips and advice do you have for me? Any of you worked as a recruiter?
Just that your son works for a small business and you will work for a medium-sized company.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:34 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,693,231 times
I have seen jobs like this in action. It will be tough.

It sounds like they will have him just search job boards all day and try to find reasonably compatible people wo fill open positions. It is a lot like a retail job. It's basically cold-calling sales. He could be selling anything: insurance, etc.

The training will probably consist of how to handle various scenarios, including rejections.

This will be a gut test for him. He will need to be persistent, dedicated, creative and have Teflon skin.

It's gonna be hard, Mom. You seem pretty involved in his business. I think you should let him deal with it.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:44 PM
mzd

419 posts, read 884,970 times
search job boards all day and try to find reasonably compatible people to fill open positions.

Exactly. One of my nieces just quit a job like described above. She was expected to search LinkedIn all day long, and had a ridiculous quota (I think it was having to find 50 people each day). She got fed up and quit after a couple of weeks. The pay was only $11/hr, in a major metro area of the Southeast.

OP - tell your son to keep looking for other jobs while he's working. From what you described, the company is cheap and doesn't value its employees. He should bail out as soon as he can.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:49 PM

2,845 posts, read 5,997,273 times
Welcome to the real world...

I would never bring in my own laptop, I'd probably have said I don't have one lol.

Yes he should always look for a better job, not sure what he planned on doing with his degree though?

Old 12-01-2014, 07:28 PM

527 posts, read 706,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
Unfortunately the career options for Sociology grads are minimal. He can try to find other recruiter jobs, or try for retail management, or look for jobs that don't require a specific degree. Tech support, military, or police officer come to mind, he might also be able to become a teacher, depending on the state (different states have different requirements). Otherwise, going back to school is an option (an MBA could open doors, and a minor in business might let him skip some pre-reqs) or a trade job that provides detailed training like an electrician.
What are those that is M to F jobs?

Old 12-01-2014, 07:33 PM

399 posts, read 566,868 times
CUT THE CORD, MOM!!!!! You're too involved!

Old 12-01-2014, 07:36 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,693,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzd View Post
[i]search job boards all day and try to find reasonably compatible people to fill open positions.
Thanks for correcting my typo!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment