U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 08:08 PM

665 posts, read 784,613 times

Advertisements

I was an accountant for the banking industry for 20 years. Left the profession and switched career to office and warehouse managng. Why? The job was beyond stressfull. Had health issues. High blood pressure. stomach issues. Started to go bald at an early age. And this was all before age 35. Worked 14 hours a day. Was not seeing my family much. And forget the end of the month. Closing the books at month's end.end of the month was not fun. You mae good money dont get me wrong but the life work balance is terrible. Decided 10 years ago i had enough and took a 50% pay cut to take a job as a shipping manager and worked my way up to manager and been a manager for the last 10 years. Now have a mgmt job where i work 9-5, no nights no weekends. Nice work balance. Soon as i left the Accountng world my health came back as the stress level went down. Again money is great.

And if you work for a big 5 type accountng firm, forget it. Heart attacks and divorse are rampant there. They work 15 hours a day and work 7 days a week .all he auditors who would come i to audit my banks would beg me for a job so they could get out.hard work but again the pay is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 11:20 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,214,549 times
I think the OP is being a little too hard on his/her self...I'm switching careers from HR to accounting. Do I struggle? Heck yes! I'm taking advanced tax and I hope I never have to do a corporations tax return....that poor company. But guess what? I'm going to get my degree, and see what doors open up. I'm not going into public accounting (I'm too old) but I may get my CPA or go straight into obtaining my MBA in finance and accounting.
Take it one class at a time, I know people who were straight A students and completely bombed in their fields for a while..practice practice...if you don't like accounting you don't have to be an accountant, you can always do finance.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:55 AM

I did corporate taxes for 4 years. And it was dealing with international taxation since the bank was a Europe bank in the US with a head office in the Cayman islands. Talk about having to do research days on end. , be lucky you dont have to do corporate taxes. When I got into sales and use tax for 20 states at a time it got worse , dealing with the different laws and which states you have nexus in etc .

Old 02-01-2015, 09:11 PM

82 posts, read 84,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Take it one class at a time, I know people who were straight A students and completely bombed in their fields for a while..practice practice...if you don't like accounting you don't have to be an accountant, you can always do finance.
I thought about finance too. The best thing I like about accounting is you can work in Finance with an Accounting degree, but no the other way around.

I'm in an Intermediate Accounting class, and I like it when I know how to calculate the answer, but I do struggle understand the problems sometime. It's getting more and more challenging but I haven't want to give up yet. I know there are many problems working as an accountant, but if there are hundred thousands other people can do it, I can do it too.

If one day I get laid off, can my accounting knowledge help me run a successful business?

Old 02-02-2015, 06:11 AM

2,891 posts, read 3,077,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoiey View Post
I thought about finance too. The best thing I like about accounting is you can work in Finance with an Accounting degree, but no the other way around.
That's not an absolute truth, either way. Some financial analysis departments do not like to hire folks with accounting degrees because they are usually good at determining, "What happened?" but can be awful at using what happened to determine what to do next while some accounting departments do not like to hire finance graduates because they feel they do not have all of the accounting knowledge they want. It really comes down to a company by company policy.

Degree in finance here. Worked as a property accountant for a property management company for a while with a higher portfolio of properties than those with accounting degrees. Can't say I've ever been hindered from accounting departments because of it, just chose to take my career into a different route that is more computer info systems related.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:18 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,214,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoiey View Post

I'm in an Intermediate Accounting class, and I like it when I know how to calculate the answer, but I do struggle understand the problems sometime. It's getting more and more challenging but I haven't want to give up yet. I know there are many problems working as an accountant, but if there are hundred thousands other people can do it, I can do it too.

If one day I get laid off, can my accounting knowledge help me run a successful business?

Yes, that is why you if you still like it then stick with it....there's a website called crussh the CPA exam, read that guy's story-he almost flunked out of accounting....

I watch you tube a lot when I don't understand something-but what keeps me going is my crappy low paying dead end job-I'm in school FULL time plus working 55 hours a week...if you want it bad enough you will find a way-

Just remember the basics-Assets/expense debit (increase) credit (decrease)
Liabilities credit (increase) Revenue debit (decrease)
Good luck and stop overthinking it

Old 02-02-2015, 08:41 PM

6,071 posts, read 5,689,396 times
The nice thing about accounting is there are lots of options in different areas and types of companies. I was never interested in public accounting. I'd rather chew my own arm off than spend my days doing taxes and audits. I've worked for start-ups, smaller, private companies and public corporations. I've done general ledger, cost accounting, grant accounting, and now I deal with financial reporting. I have been pleasantly surprised to find out that I love what I am doing now. You just need to figure out what type of environment suits you best and go from there.

You're never going to learn everything you'll need to know from your accounting classes. Master the basics and you'll be okay.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:26 AM

Yes if your going into accounting stay away from the corporate companies and public accounting. Its a tough life for ok pay. Doing accounting for small companies and doing the books for mom and pop stores OR staff accountant for a small company is a great job. And as the above said there is only so much you can learn in classes. When I got my first job out of college , what I was doing and what I learned were so different. But having the basics from classes , I understood it. Good luck.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:23 AM

18,113 posts, read 20,771,139 times
I can't think of why accounting would be stressful unless your job is keeping illegal books for the mob.

The nice thing about numbers is that there is only one answer. If the answer is wrong, you can work back through it and find the error. It's very black and white. I like having a provable answer.

If you can't work word problems, then you have a problem. All your work as an accountant is going to start with a pile of receipts and someone who doesn't have a clue telling you "Blah, blah, blah". You then have to take the numbers and the story and reconcile them so they make sense.

The stories here about stress are about excessive hours. That is not stress from accounting, that is stress from a bad work environment.

Accounting could very well be boring, as can most jobs that are going to pay you a salary. Doing taxes can be stressful because the IRS doesn't know what they want, doesn't know how to convey what they want, and they change what they want whenever they want to.

OP, if you are having problems with the word problems, then hire your self a basic algebra tutor and pay him to teach you how to read a word problem and how to translate the words into numbers. Seriously, it is an easy skill. You are over-thinking it.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:30 AM

82 posts, read 84,081 times
As an accounting, if you work 80h/week, do you get paid for each of the 40h over time or you get pay the same as if you work only 40h/week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP, if you are having problems with the word problems, then hire your self a basic algebra tutor and pay him to teach you how to read a word problem and how to translate the words into numbers. Seriously, it is an easy skill. You are over-thinking it.
Nah, I'm asian. I'm excellent at math word problems. The accounting word problems are so tricky. I get my answer wrong because the tiniest details like (one every other weeks = 2 weeks, sep 15 to dec 31 = 3.5 months)

It's very challenging for me. I don't see accounting require my creativity so I got bored!!!!

Last edited by neoiey; 02-06-2015 at 11:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment